Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, total amateur here.
Me and a friend of mine have recently picked up tennis, and we started playing a couple of months back. We have both improved quite alot over the last few weeks but yesterday we went three steps back after getting some new tennis balls. The tennis balls we usually used were probably 5 years old so we thought we should get some brand new. But the new balls bounced completely different and alot higher, and 1 out of every two points ended with someone hitting the ball out. None of us were able to hit the ball with power without hitting too far so the games became really slow paced and far more boring, and the overall quality just went down. Now were wondering wether there is a quality difference in the different balls or if the old balls we used were actually pretty bad cause they were so old. They are both pressurized balls.
Now the problem is. Should we get used to the new tennisballs or stick to the old ones? Were afraid if we use the old ones even though at short term we play better tennis, it will learn us some bad habits cause we suspect their of low quality. Should newer players and experienced players use the same kind of balls? Any insight on this would be really helpfull!

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Hello, total amateur here.
Me and a friend of mine have recently picked up tennis, and we started playing a couple of months back. We have both improved quite alot over the last few weeks but yesterday we went three steps back after getting some new tennis balls. The tennis balls we usually used were probably 5 years old so we thought we should get some brand new. But the new balls bounced completely different and alot higher, and 1 out of every two points ended with someone hitting the ball out. None of us were able to hit the ball with power without hitting too far so the games became really slow paced and far more boring, and the overall quality just went down. Now were wondering wether there is a quality difference in the different balls or if the old balls we used were actually pretty bad cause they were so old. They are both pressurized balls.
Now the problem is. Should we get used to the new tennisballs or stick to the old ones? Were afraid if we use the old ones even though at short term we play better tennis, it will learn us some bad habits cause we suspect their of low quality. Should newer players and experienced players use the same kind of balls? Any insight on this would be really helpfull!
I think you should use red,orange,green and the new hard balls. When you can have several long rallies with a ball move on to the next one. I would imagine you struggle with the new balls either because of lack of spin to contain the power or bad positioning.

https://www.usta.com/content/dam/usta/sections/northern-california/norcal/pdfs/coachesorganizersresources/playerdevelopment/court_progressions.pdf

·
Registered
12 Posts
You could use a pin and pierce the ball, I used to do that with new balls when I was hitting indoors, the balls wont ' die on contact with the court but they definitely wont bounce as much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts