Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Florin decided to team up with Adrian Barbu, a 34-year-old Romanian who quit tennis 11 years ago. They trained together in the last 3 months. :eek:
Barbu is ranked 833 at the moment, as he played some tournaments in the last months, so they decided to start from 0, playing Futures or Challengers, with the hope they can play in the big tournaments next year, when the rankings allow them to do so.
The two are playing a Futures in Romania this week. :scared:

Did not expect that at all, but maybe it is a good decision for his future.

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
I like Florin a lot as a player, but you have got to wonder why he can't seem to sustain a longterm partnership on the tour. How often did he switch partners in the last 18 months alone? 3 or 4 times?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I don't understand this. If he had a deep run at a GS this season and got his ranking up to about 30-35, then Tecau would probably play with him next season but this is silly.

·
-Oracle-
2,063 Posts
Playing Futures after having reached at least QF at all the Grand Slams is shocking and a terrible idea.

·
Registered
26,062 Posts
They already got into a challenger this week and lost despite a good draw. It was streamed and I thought Barbu was pretty bad.

What about the US Open?

·
Registered
876 Posts
This is bad... he is being very foolish and I feel as if he doesn't stop this now, he might never recover. A shame for a person of his calibre and personally, one of my favourite doubles players to watch.

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
Mergea himself unretired and made the top 10 on return, right? Not hard to see why he'd sympathize.
Yes but unlike Barbu, Mergea was always a promising player with great talent

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Most idiotic decision since Frederick Nielsen choose to focus on his singles "career" after winning Wimbledon in doubles

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Mergea defends nothing from now on. Maybe this weird move can come to an end for next year and he will rejoin ATP?

Let´s hope so

·
Registered
8,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mergea defends nothing from now on. Maybe this weird move can come to an end for next year and he will rejoin ATP?

Let´s hope so
It won't happen. Their objective is to reach MD in French Open next year and I expect them to play together until then.
BTW, they are playing Romania F11 Futures this week.

·
MONSOON season.
81,402 Posts
Most idiotic decision since Frederick Nielsen choose to focus on his singles "career" after winning Wimbledon in doubles
Nielsen just squandering so much money. I don't understand it, but somehow I do respect it, since he clearly enjoys singles too much to quit it.

·
Registered
26,062 Posts
I read on twitter Mergea plays Stockholm with Copil, but then again futures in Heraklion with Barbu.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
:facepalm:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts