Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, some people are losing believe in the new generation and just wanted to break down the ranking evolution of these youngsters vs the likes of Nadal, DJokovic, Murray and Del Potro (the 4 best of the 86-88 generation) the same age and also latebloomer Federer as a bonus:

Kyrgios (most akin to Federer) is 20 yrs 2 months and ranked nr29, at the same age this was the ranking of the players mentioned:

Nadal nr2
DJokovic nr3
Federer nr12
Murray nr14
Del Potro nr9

Coric 18 years and 7 months, ranked nr40 and often compared to Djokovic:

Nadal nr47 (keep in mind, had injury in 2014)
Djokovic nr 80
Federer nr 50
Murray nr 64
Del Potro nr 61

Zverev 18 yrs 2 months, ranked 74

Nadal nr71
Djokovic nr 96
Federer nr 93
Murray nr 164
Del Potro nr 93

Kokkanis 19 yrs 2 months ranked 71

Nadal nr2
Djokovic nr35
Federer nr31
Murray nr35
Del Potro nr 44

So, while time is ticking fast for Kyrgios and to a lesser extent Kokkanis to really proof themselves, people are beeing way too harsh against the very young players Coric and Zverev. At 18 no one expects big things, yet Coric has defeated Nadal and Murray in convincing fashion.

This generation still got alot of potential, Kyrgios could be a really late bloomer aswell. I think in 2-3 years one of these 4 kids might very well dominate the tour.

Reactions: Bumsby and Kateoz

·
Banned
923 Posts
Ranking isn't a good indicator these days. The tour has no depth.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
It`s not about ranking first of all. Youngsters nowadays either have no all court game or stamina. Sometimes both. Add to this lack of work ethicks and belief against current leaders... Kyrgios is hyped like next god now, but even him had not that impressive result in comparison to best players of their generations in past. Coric is 50% of what Djokovic was in 2006.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It`s not about ranking first of all. Youngsters nowadays either have no all court game or stamina. Sometimes both. Add to this lack of work ethicks and belief against current leaders... Kyrgios is hyped like next god now, but even him had not that impressive result in comparison to best players of their generations in past. Coric is 50% of what Djokovic was in 2006.
Djokovic was easily outplayed by Paul Goldstein in rd1 of AO when he was 18 yrs and 7 months like Coric.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
2 things I would like to comment from above comments.

#1 Young Djokovic's forehand and attacking game is overrated.

#2 Coric and Zverev are doing great, but Zverev really needs to be in good form now because he's defending a lot of points in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Ok, some people are losing believe in the new generation and just wanted to break down the ranking evolution of these youngsters vs the likes of Nadal, DJokovic, Murray and Del Potro (the 4 best of the 86-88 generation) the same age and also latebloomer Federer as a bonus:

Kyrgios (most akin to Federer) is 20 yrs 2 months and ranked nr29, at the same age this was the ranking of the players mentioned:

Nadal nr2
DJokovic nr3
Federer nr12
Murray nr14
Del Potro nr9

Coric 18 years and 7 months, ranked nr40 and often compared to Djokovic:

Nadal nr47 (keep in mind, had injury in 2014)
Djokovic nr 80
Federer nr 50
Murray nr 64
Del Potro nr 61

Zverev 18 yrs 2 months, ranked 74

Nadal nr71
Djokovic nr 96
Federer nr 93
Murray nr 164
Del Potro nr 93

Kokkanis 19 yrs 2 months ranked 71

Nadal nr2
Djokovic nr35
Federer nr31
Murray nr35
Del Potro nr 44

So, while time is ticking fast for Kyrgios and to a lesser extent Kokkanis to really proof themselves, people are beeing way too harsh against the very young players Coric and Zverev. At 18 no one expects big things, yet Coric has defeated Nadal and Murray in convincing fashion.

This generation still got alot of potential, Kyrgios could be a really late bloomer aswell. I think in 2-3 years one of these 4 kids might very well dominate the tour.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Btw, you should add Rublev here. He might not have pushed through yet, but he has the highest potential peak of all the agressive players born 95+

·
Registered
16,664 Posts
2 things I would like to comment from above comments.

#1 Young Djokovic's forehand and attacking game is overrated.
No, it's not. Like Coric's FH is underrated, you mean?

:haha: :haha: :haha:

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Zverev has a serious chance to reach R4 at Wimbledon; if he does it, it will have happened at a younger age (marginally) than Federer and Nadal made their first R16 appearance.

·
Registered
16,664 Posts
I don't want to dicuss Djokovic with you. You're the one that says Djokovic is an agressive shotmaker. :confused:
Yes, you are really confused. That is namely chico.

Let's get it clear, I readily acknowledge that Novak has not played his best in all of his big matches since 2012, that he tried to push often which he should have avoided.
Still no need to discredit his early resumé.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
andrey rublev 17 yrs 8 months, rnked 207:

Murray 420
Federer 124
Nadal 40
djokovic 188

Reactions: 92738

·
Registered
16,664 Posts
Zverev has a serious chance to reach R4 at Wimbledon; if he does it, it will have happened at a younger age (marginally) than Federer and Nadal made their first R16 appearance.
At this point I rate Zverev's and Kyrgios' chances the highest for a really successful career at the top of the game.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Kyrgios needs to soon start giving shit about the tour outside of the Slams..Otherwise he is going to float there forever..

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Djokovic was easily outplayed by Paul Goldstein in rd1 of AO when he was 18 yrs and 7 months like Coric.
All young players have more bad days than good. But potential you can see at good days, rare in the beginning. I remember Djokovic against Fed in MC-06. The level he showed back than was more than everything current youngserts can produce alltogether. Of cource, Coric still has some time, but you are trying to mix things - first you speak about all current best players and then underline only Coric as the youngest. Not fair. ;) He has time in comparison, others - no.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
What I see going on is a shift in age when players in this generation start to make a real impact. And its STRANGE. Think this over BJORN BORG had 11 slams to his name by the age of 25. Connors, Mcenroe were all multi slam winners by 25. Now here we are 34 years later. And we are talking about players BREAKING THROUGH at an age when BORG had 11 slams.

If anything, I would have thought we would have slam winners at an earlier age like Boris Becker by now.

But it seems to take longer for players to mature and peak nowadays. Its like 25 is he new 20. 30 the new 25...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts