Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where exactly to post this but Gravity suggested I float it around to see if anyone would be interested in playing this so here it is:

I saw this on the si.com site and thought it would make a great addition to the Games section here, and we could bet vcash on it too which would make it even more fun. :D

Basically, you chose a player every day who you think will advance. The catch: You can only use each player once. So if you'd picked, say, Kim Clijsters, in day one, you'd be in trouble.

Here's the "official" description from the original site:

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/TAT_...oard=suicideuso

Suicide pools are a very simple concept that test your ability not only to pick a winner, but to project your winner through the ups and downs of a draw. You'll also have to know what players can easily win an early round match for you, but can be counted on (at least by yourself) to falter as you go through the 14 days of a Slam.

For each day of play, you have to pick 1 - yes, just one - winner each for the Men's side and one for the Women's side. That is out of all the matches played that day.

But, once you pick someone, you cannot choose them again for the rest of the tournament. So you really don't want to pick a Federer to win in early matches.

To survive in the suicide pool, you will have to have gone through 14 successive days of picking a winner. Sure it may sound easy (and probably will be) on the first few days of play - but as you get deeper into the draws, you have to start picking based on not only who you think will win, but who is likely to lose down the road. And remember, if you are still alive come semi-final time, you are not only picking who you think would win a semi, but also who would lose the final, since you could not pick the same player again.

Picks will begin with the release of the Order of Play for Day 1 - you will have until play begins on Day 1 to make your selection. Subsequently, you can pick your Day 2 winner as soon as the Day 2 order of play is announced, and so on.

·
Registered
514 Posts
sounds interesting! I have a question though:

Say i pick, umm... Murray to win in round 1, and he wins, so i keep picking right?
What if i pick like Blake to win round 2 and he loses? Am i out for the whole tournament? Just on the men's side? Can i keep picking???

And when you say 14 days, do you mean that this will only be done for grand slams???

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I would try it out. I did one of these things for the NFL last year, it is fun.

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
yeah i read about that in wertheim's column, sounds like fun.

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whoo! It got it's own thread. I guess people like the idea. :cool:

Now we just need to figure out how to start it. :lol: I'm still trying to find more information about it. Apparently it's played only during slams but maybe we could do it during the masters, too. Did anybody check out the link I posted?

·
Yes, I am
21,208 Posts
I haven't checked that link, I'll do it later. I have a question, when you said masters you mean TMC or any masters series? We cannot play this game only 5 times a year. :confused:

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
tangerine_dream said:
Whoo! It got it's own thread. I guess people like the idea. :cool:

Now we just need to figure out how to start it. :lol: I'm still trying to find more information about it. Apparently it's played only during slams but maybe we could do it during the masters, too. Did anybody check out the link I posted?
from what i understand of how it works i don't see why it couldn't work with any tournament. when this gets up and running i'd love to play. :)

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
this sounds really good. I'd like to play

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
IheartDavenport, yes, if you pick a player who wins, then you are still in the game and can keep picking. But you can’t pick the same player again once you’ve used him.
If you pick a player and he loses, then you are out of the game.
If you make it to the semis and find that both semifinalists are players that you’ve already picked, then you are out of the game.

I think this game could also work for tournaments other than slams. I am thinking of trying it out during one of the upcoming masters series events instead of waiting for AO. This game is new to me too so I think we can take some liberties with this game and make any amendments to it that would be make it better. I’m open to suggestions. :)

Using the current rules set forth, to see exactly how one would play this game, let’s choose last year’s Basel tournament as an example:

The first round of 32 was played out over two days. The picks are made PER DAY not per round. So on the first day, we would pick one player from the top half of the draw and then on the next day we would pick one player from the bottom half of the draw.

Davidoff Swiss Indoors Basel

This is the top half of the draw for day one. I will pick Dent:

DAY ONE MATCHES – ROUND of 32
Novak - Mayer
Robredo - Wawrinka
Srichaphan - Koubek
Ulihrach - Horna
Heuberger - Dent
Gaudio - Norman
Zabaleta – Hanescu​

This is the bottom half of the draw on day two. I decide to pick Nadal:
DAY TWO MATCHES – ROUND of 32
Kratochvil - Massu
Nalbandian - Ancic
Volandri - Spadea
Montanes - Chiudinelli
Nadal - Schuettler
Gonzalez - Haehnel
Chela - Ljubicic
Starace - Moodie
Henman – Dupuis​

Now I am already in trouble because the results came in and Nadal crashed out, beaten by Schuettler. Dent won his match but it doesn’t matter because my other pick went down. So I would be out of the game.

Instead of choosing Nadal, say I decide to play Nalbandian instead:
DAY TWO MATCHES – ROUND of 32
Kratochvil - Massu
Nalbandian - Ancic
Volandri - Spadea
Montanes - Chiudinelli
Nadal - Schuettler
Gonzalez - Haehnel
Chela - Ljubicic
Starace - Moodie
Henman – Dupuis​

Now I am still in the game because the results came in and both Dent and Nalbandian made it through their first round. But I cannot pick either one of these players again. Choosing Nalbandian early on may end up being trouble for me down the line though…

For my next pick on Day Three, I decide to go with Novak:
DAY THREE MATCHES – ROUND of 16
Heuberger - Ulihrach
Gaudio - Koubek
Nalbandian - Spadea
Schuettler - Chiudinelli
Massu - Zabaleta
Ljubicic - Haehnel
Robredo - Novak
Moodie - Henman​

The results come in and Novak has won his match. Yippee! I’m still in the game.

For Day Four, I choose Koubek:
DAY FOUR MATCHES – QUARTERFINALS
Ljubicic – Koubek
Zabaleta - Ulihrach
Henman - Novak
Nalbandian - Schuettler​

Results come in and I am dancing like a banana :banana: because Koubek won and I am still alive. But now I’m getting concerned because my earlier picks have also made it through their matches and I’m running out of players to pick. :scared:

Ugh! Day Five and three of my prior picks made it this far. I have no choice but to go for Massu. Whether he wins or not it doesn’t matter, I will be out of the game before the finals because I will have no one left to pick.
DAY FIVE MATCHES – SEMIFINALS
Koubek - Novak
Massu – Nalbandian​

Now if I had chosen a lower-ranked dark horse player in the earlier rounds, I could’ve saved my Nalbandian or Novak pick for a later round and for what was eventually the final.
DAY SIX MATCHES – FINAL
Nalbandian – Novak​

·
Registered
10,453 Posts
Can I play too? Sounds like fun.

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
NEW RULE
If a player you picked withdraws/retires before or during match play, then you are out of the game.

Now would be a good time to figure out how we're going to deal with players who withdrawn from a match before it's played, a la Hewitt today before his match with Srichaphan. I haven't seen this situation addressed at that other board's game play so we'll need to come up with a solution for this because it's going to happen again in other tournaments.

As it stands now, if a player retires during a match, then the original pick still stands and the person who picked him would be out of the game.

But what if someone picks a player who withdraws from a match for whatever reason before the match begins?

I am thinking that because the match didn't start then the person should be allowed to pick another player. I'm using the same logic as those gambling sites: you lose money on a player who retires, but you get your money back if the player withdraws before the match. ;)

Does this sound good to everyone? I will add the rule here.

·
Mom 2 2 Beauties
11,927 Posts
tangerine_dream said:
NEW RULE
You will be allowed to pick a new player if a player withdraws before match play.

Now would be a good time to figure out how we're going to deal with players who withdrawn from a match before it's played, a la Hewitt today before his match with Srichaphan. I haven't seen this situation addressed at that other board's game play so we'll need to come up with a solution for this because it's going to happen again in other tournaments.

As it stands now, if a player retires during a match, then the original pick still stands and the person who picked him would be out of the game.

But what if someone picks a player who withdraws from a match for whatever reason before the match begins?

I am thinking that because the match didn't start then the person should be allowed to pick another player. I'm using the same logic as those gambling sites: you lose money on a player who retires, but you get your money back if the player withdraws before the match. ;)

Does this sound good to everyone? I will add the rule here.
I'd say that makes sense to me...as long as the 'suicider' makes another pick before match play begins (cause it wouldn't necessarily be the player who got the walkover). Thanks again...tangy...for running the game. It's been fun and the strategy interesting. What I've boiled it down to is: pick some you think will win that round...then lose in the next...and leave Roger for the final day. :lol:

·
RAVE ON
18,876 Posts
I think there is not enough time. If someone doesn't walk out on court for the last match of the day, then it is impossible to pick someone else.
I think the picks should stand. You will have all kinds of problems trying to sort out who got in on time if you allow substitutions. And such happenings should be part of a game that is called SUICIDE. Withdrawing five minutes before the match and retiring after the first point are much the same thing.
The only way I see around it, if you don't want to play real suicide is to allow a ''substitute'' pick each day. If your first pick plays, the substitute selected is still eligible to be chosen later. If your selection and substitute selection both fail to show up, then it is just another ''fixed'' tourney obviously.

·
Mom 2 2 Beauties
11,927 Posts
Nice counter argument, Buddy. It isn't called 'Suicide' for nothing. The substitute idea has merit I think it might be too much to keep up with. Simple works better.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts