Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again Old Balls Agassi finds himself in a consecutive Finals. It seems he and Old Pete won't go away or that the New Balls won't show up.

Where are the new destinies? Where are the new rivalries?

To be fair, I've devised a scorecard for those so-lauded New Balls to see where they actually stand:

A+ Lleyton Hewitt
Yes, Potato is the only NB to actually fulfill his potential. Even though he lost to Younes in the QF, he plays with guts and stamina and will definitely be around for more GS finals.

A Andy Roddick
Dickhead had a major breakthrough at this AO, winning the R16, two sets down and breaking through to the Semis 20/18 in the 5th against Younes. Expect the confidence to carry him far. A finals should be not in the too distant future.

A- Mikhail Youzhny
Misha had a breakout tournament and lost to Dickhead. Mental toughness gained from Davis Cup win will carry him far this year. I expect big things!

B+ Richard Gasquet
Newbie still has a boys build, and just played his first GS, but took a set off of Misha in the first round before folding.

B Marat Safin
Hard to score him. Sometimes plays like an A. Sometimes plays like a C. Was playing well this tournament when he got injured. Chronic headcase who will never win as many GS as he should (and probably won't care until he's nearing the end of his career). Should have won AO 02. Should be in the finals of the next three, but won't. Always disappoints his fans on the court.

B Gustavo Kuertan
Guga is a genius on clay, but can't seem to break through on other surfaces. Come on Guga, Semis at USO is possible!

B- Juan Carlos
Seem to wilt in pressure matches, but always seems to make R16 on various surfaces. Will he win the French???

B- James Blake
Not as talented as the others on the list, but makes up for it in fierce determination. Would like to see him break through into the Qtrs of Wimby or USO.

B- Tommy Haas
I don't know if Tommy will ever match the SF of last AO. Not the most talented, but always fun to watch. Hope for an easy draw in the next GS.

C Mark Phillippousis
Hasn't been the same since knee injury at Wimby 2000, but still has the talent to get to a finals, if his knees holds up. Needs to work on conditioning.

C Magnus Norman
Another chronically injured player. Hope he can rebound in 03.

C- Roger Federer
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for losing his coach last year. But there is no excuse for this AO.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Oh please :mad:

If you want to post something readable, please get your numbers correct if you want anybody to respect your opinion. I quote you:

"A Andy Roddick
Dickhead had a major breakthrough at this AO, winning the R16, two sets down and breaking through to the Semis 20/18 in the 5th against Younes. Expect the confidence to carry him far. A finals should be not in the too distant future."

Do you want me to continue?

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Experimentee said:
Phillipoussis, Norman and Kuerten arent that young.
True, but they were included in the ATPs "New Balls" campaign. I also included others (Federer, Misha) whose names come up in these discussions.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
nice idea Tennis Fool. i actually thought of doing something similar but haven't had the time to do it. what i wanted to do was take the final 16 of the last 5 Grand Slams (meaning all the Slams last year plus the Aussie Open this year) and do a New Balls vs Old Balls comparison. in other words, of the last 16 (or perhaps 8) men standing in a Slam, how many of them are say Under 25 and how many are Over 25 (my arbitraty cut-off for Old vs New). i suspect that even there the Old Balls are standing up firmer than we expected...;) ;)

i tell ya, Andre on this side and Martina N. on the WTA and making these young-uns look like fools...;) ;)

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Andy an A get real. One GS doesn't prove shit. Reaching the semis after a disappointing season does not make him that good IMO. I would give him a B, cause for me he still needs to prove more.
I think Marat and JC deserve more credit.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I'm curious what your criteria was?

If you are going to weight Andy heavily based on Australia, and Hewitt heavily based on everything BUT australia... I'm wondering how Roddick got a higher "grade" than multiple slam or maters series winners?

Same can be asked about Mikhail.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Guga has won numerous hard court titles, beat just about all the "great" hardcourters these days on hard, and reached the US Open quarters a couple times.

Why aren't we asking about Hewitt's poor performance on clay? Guga has performed far better on hardcourt than Hewitt on clay (that said, his grass performance leaves something to be desired)

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rebecca said:
I'm curious what your criteria was?

LOL, it's purely subjective. Just my view of how the New Balls are living up to their hype.

Potato has already been living up to his hype and to fall to Younes at AO was not a bad loss and doesn't do anything to make me feel he won't continue to win Slams.

Andy has been flatlining in the QFs of Slams, so this AO is a breakthrough.

That's why I've gave both As.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tennischick said:
nice idea Tennis Fool. i actually thought of doing something similar but haven't had the time to do it. what i wanted to do was take the final 16 of the last 5 Grand Slams (meaning all the Slams last year plus the Aussie Open this year) and do a New Balls vs Old Balls comparison. in other words, of the last 16 (or perhaps 8) men standing in a Slam, how many of them are say Under 25 and how many are Over 25 (my arbitraty cut-off for Old vs New). i suspect that even there the Old Balls are standing up firmer than we expected...;) ;)

i tell ya, Andre on this side and Martina N. on the WTA and making these young-uns look like fools...;) ;)
I'd love to see a more objective study of NBs V OBs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
A for Roddick bcos he did well in AO.
C- for Federer even though he ranked higher than Roddick, reached Shanghai last year, won more TMS and had more Top 10 wins. But he lost in R4 in AO. So he sucks as a New Ball.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
walee said:
A for Roddick bcos he did well in AO.
C- for Federer even though he ranked higher than Roddick, reached Shanghai last year, won more TMS and had more Top 10 wins. But he lost in R4 in AO. So he sucks as a New Ball.
Federer should have made it into the Semis of this tournament. He shouldn't have lost in the 1st rounds of last years French and Wimby. (Especially the FO, after Hamburg in straight sets against Marat :eek: ) He was bounced at USO in the 4th by Max Miryni.

He should be competing in the finals of GSs now. He's too talented.

C- stands

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rebecca said:

Why aren't we asking about Hewitt's poor performance on clay? desired)

Hewitt has won on two different surfaces. Guga only on clay. Guga won't even try to play Wimby.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
Federer should have made it into the Semis of this tournament. He shouldn't have lost in the 1st rounds of last years French and Wimby. (Especially the FO, after Hamburg in straight sets against Marat :eek: ) He was bounced at USO in the 4th by Max Miryni.

He should be competing in the finals of GSs now. He's too talented.

C- stands
Roddick should have lost to Wayne Arthurs in French Open first round last year :eek: and Greg Rusedski in Wimbledon in R3. So he did and that's within our expectation. And he surprised us to get to SF in AO bcos he really should have lost in R2 but he didn't. He did great and I agreed that A should stand.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
walee said:
Roddick should have lost to Wayne Arthurs in French Open first round last year :eek: and Greg Rusedski in Wimbledon in R3. So he did and that's within our expectation. And he surprised us to get to SF in AO bcos he really should have lost in R2 but he didn't. He did great and I agreed that A should stand.
Not a fan of Dickhead are you;)

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Andy has been flatlining in the quarters of slams?

Correction - he's been flatlining in the quarters of ONE slam.

Yet somehow makes a higher grade in your opinion than somebody who was flatlining in the semis of ONE slam, then made the finals? And the quarters at Oz?

Um, okay there!

Is ANYBODY on these boards even remotely objective?

I find having tennis conversation SO irritating because people seem unable to separate their likes from their dislikes to see what is really there....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
Not a fan of Dickhead are you;)
No. Not really. Not a fan of Federer either. Just like arguing with ppl. I am indifferent to most, Marat is the one I like.

MHO of the original New Balls plus some new one.

A+ : Hewitt for meeting all the expectations, #1 for more than a year, winning the majors and we keep counting.

B : Safin for winning USO and get to #1 but can’t hang on, and not dominating the tennis scene as we expect him to, so far. No doubt that expectation is high on him more so than the others, but he’s still #3 before withdrawing from AO. But it is Marat, anything less than a A+ is not acceptable considering his talent.

B : Ferrero for being consistent enough to be in the Top 5 two years in a row and get himself deep in most tournament regularly, but unable to win the major as of yet. We also expect him to have 2 French Open trophies by now but it didn’t happen. So he’s below expectation. But he’s improving on other surfaces other than clay so it’s a plus.

B- : Federer. We expected a lot from him because of his talent. But the result in the slams is less than desirable, the major slump in the middle of last year was hard to comprehend. Give him credit for pulling himself together and won a title and get to Shanghai. So he didn’t completely fail.

B : Roddick for being consistent. Good performance in AO and get himself to Top 10. But still not too convincing to say that he’s THE force when he also consistently lost to Top 10 players, no big title to show as of yet. He did show maturity in AO and good result to open the year. But I don’t want to get carry away just yet. Based on AO, I’ll expect him to have a more consistently showing in majors and win at least a TMS this year, we’ll talk when that happens. He is young, I’ll give him time.

A-: Guga for his 3 French title, 3 TMS (clay and hard) and 1 TMC title, 18 overall titles, year-ended #1 and beat Sampras and Agassi to reach that #1 on indoor hard. Injuries prevented him from continuing his success but I don’t think he is done yet. Granted, no major in another surface, but I won’t count him out if he’s back to his old form.

C+: Haas for just 1 TMS title. Injuries and other unfortunate events notwithstanding, but he has his moment and many believed he should win AO by now. So underachieved.

C+: Grosjean, Frenchmen in general seem to be all talented and crafty, but unable to achieve greatness. Grosjean is a typical one.

B: Nalbandian. I add him as a new ball since he did better than a lot of the New balls by reaching a major final. We didn’t see it coming. Sure he disappeared the rest of the year, and then won a title out of the blue. That’s inconsistency but he is in the Top 10 and how can we write him off when he has a Final and QF showing in his 6 Slam appearance. To put things into perspective, Roddick has 1SF and 2QF in 9 showings.

Other New Balls that were in the original campaign and simply failed quite miserably: Jan-Micheal Gambill, Nicolas Kiefer, Nicolas Lapentti, Mark Phillipousis, just to mention a few.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
I'd love to see a more objective study of NBs V OBs.
i wonder if Eggy has the time to do it? *hint* *hint* ;) ;)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts