Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently it is the season for updating tennis websites. After Roland Garros and the Australian Open it is now the ATP and Wimbledon's turn to launch a new website.

Haven't tested the functionality in depth yet but the ATP site looks fresh and is a lot wider, making much better use of the space on a desktop screen. Also it doesn't have the awful click menu system of the French and Australian websites which is a big plus. First impression is positive. Have to get used to the Wimbledon menu which has now moved to the bottom of the screen.

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
9,070 Posts
Disgusting..

·
Administrator
14,827 Posts
I like the score pop-up on the side better than what they had at the top.

Edit: Going through it a bit more I actually like the 'Draw by player' feature. The whole site itself does look nice and fresh.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The new ATP site is really good. I like it :)
Wimbledon looks alright but I'll wait til the tournament to see how it goes.

New profile pages for the players

Nicer looking than they use to be (ignore the Aussie thing lol, it's from back in the IPTL thing when Nick called him Aussie Tom :lol:)

And a bit less glamorous if you didn't get invited to the photoshoot :p

New rankings page too

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
At first glance, it still needs work. First, you cannot see top ten players and their points at a glance unless you click through on all rankings. Then when you scroll players left or right and click on a player, you just get a screen that never resolves (spinning circle around ATP logo).

Yet again, too much scrolling and pictures, infatuation with look over efficient content presentation. Too much like awful SI and ESPN sites. At least they kept a decent menu.

Why can't they simply have a rankings list box on the front page defaulting to the top 10 (much like it was), with a scroll bar to the get the rest of the top 100, so that if you want to see players lower than the top 10 it is simple. You can still have a link to a View All (with normal top 100, 101-200, 201-300 functionality)

As it is now, one has to scroll left and right to see which player has which ranking on the opening page. TOO MUCH SCROLLING = bad design.

EDIT: I canceled the player profile endless spinning, and started over again, and the player profile resolved.

Further thoughts: They use way too much space presenting the year's activity and many other things on the site, to apparently achieve a pretty look. Scrolling scrolling, scrolling, too spread out in pretty colors and white space to get the info needed. Looks like some fashion designer designed it instead of a tennis fan that prefers to simply see the content. I don't mind the colors so much, but the white space makes it look like a kindergarten book.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
10,559 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When did they update that as it seemed the same yesterday? :eek:
Was on the old website a few hours ago, clicked on a link and up came the new site. Took a while to load properly.

Nice little gimmick; on the player profile pages each player pronounces his name.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I personal like it (the ATP website). It looks fresh and new.

·
Super Moderator
62,010 Posts
For stats information it's a disaster. Try to get Federer's record for Basel matches or Nadal's for Barcelona. Used to be easy.

Everything takes longer too, more images to load, I guess.

Should have copied every piece of relevant information from there long ago. Too lazy.

1 - 20 of 235 Posts