Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened last year as well with Murray and Djokovic but that was due to injuries. This year Dimitrov and Goffin have simply failed to make it (although Dimitrov can mathematically still do it, he obviously won't). Led me to wonder how often this has happened before.

Since 1990:

1991 - Agassi made it but Edberg didn't
1992 - Sampras and Courier both qualified
1993 - Courier made it but Becker didn't
1994 - Sampras made it but Stich didn't
1995 - Sampras and Becker both qualified
1996 - Becker and Chang both qualified
1997 - Sampras made it but Becker didn't
1998 - Sampras and Kafelnikov both qualified
1999 - Corretja and Moya both missed the cut
2000 - Sampras and Agassi both qualified
2001 - Kuerten and Agassi both qualified
2002 - Hewitt made it but Grosjean didn't
2003 - Ferrero made it but Hewitt didn't
2004 - Federer made it but Agassi didn't
2005 - Federer made it but Hewitt didn't
2006 - Nalbandian and Federer both qualified
2007 - Federer made it but Blake didn't
2008 - Federer made it but Ferrer didn't
2009 - Djokovic and Davydenko both qualified
2010 - Davydenko and del Potro both missed the cut
2011 - Federer and Nadal both qualified
2012 - Federer and Tsonga both qualified
2013 - Djokovic and Federer both qualified
2014 - Djokovic made it but Nadal didn't
2015 - Djokovic and Federer both qualified
2016 - Djokovic made it but Federer didn't
2017 - Murray and Djokovic both missed the cut
2018 - Dimitrov and Goffin both missed the cut

So this is gonna be the 4th time since the beginning of the 90s that this has happened, and only the 3rd if you ignore Murray and Djokovic last year since they only missed because of injury and would undoubtedly have qualified otherwise. 2010 is also iffy because JMDP only missed that one due to injury and would have qualified otherwise too. So in essence, this year and 1999 are the only occasions where the previous finalists have simply failed to qualify. Interesting stuff.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,611 Posts
Goes to show how hard it is to maintain a level that gets you to finish in the top 8. One good season with a bit of luck doesn't mean it will follow the next year. Also note debut ATP finals players in PCB and Sock failed to make it either, and in Sock's case, he wasn't even close.

Meanwhile rooting for Nishikori to qualify again, what a comeback it would be to do so after having missed January and having had to fight without the best seeding arrangements and improper form.

·
Administrator
6,070 Posts
And one of last year's semifinalists is currently facing a drop out of the top 100 by the end of the year.

To be fair to Goffin and I think Dimitrov have also had injuries so some could argue that their fate is no different than Djokovic and Murray last year, but the difference is they are not proven consistent players (both having only made WTF for the first time last year) and neither really looked close to making it again (Goffin maybe looked like he was in the running before he ended his season but still would have had to have quite the turnaround to make it into the top 8). So it really does feel a lot more like the two finalists simply failed to qualify rather than were obviously taken out by injury.

The 2017 WTF was just abnormally weak, due to the weakness of the overall tour and injuries of some of the top players (with all of the previous year's top 5 out injured by the end of the season, and Nadal withdrawing after one match) and I guess that's showing with the performance of the players who succeeded there. If you read that someone defeated Thiem - Goffin - PCB - Sock - Goffin back to back you'd probably assume that they just won a relatively strong 500 and survived a tough Masters R2 draw, not that they'd just completed the path to an undefeated WTF title.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
The both reached highs here last year that they both will probably not get to again.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
So this is gonna be the 4th time since the beginning of the 90s that this has happened, and only the 3rd if you ignore Murray and Djokovic last year since they only missed because of injury and would undoubtedly have qualified otherwise. 2010 is also iffy because JMDP only missed that one due to injury and would have qualified otherwise too. So in essence, this year and 1999 are the only occasions where the previous finalists have simply failed to qualify. Interesting stuff.
Davydenko also missed it in 2010 because he fractured his wrist in February. Even if he came back that summer despite doctors telling him not to, he was not the same player anymore.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,611 Posts
Davydenko also missed it in 2010 because he fractured his wrist in February. Even if he came back that summer despite doctors telling him not to, he was not the same player anymore.
yeah that's a real shame considering how well he had been playing. I feared the same fate might befall Kei.

And one of last year's semifinalists is currently facing a drop out of the top 100 by the end of the year.

To be fair to Goffin and I think Dimitrov have also had injuries so some could argue that their fate is no different than Djokovic and Murray last year, but the difference is they are not proven consistent players (both having only made WTF for the first time last year) and neither really looked close to making it again (Goffin maybe looked like he was in the running before he ended his season but still would have had to have quite the turnaround to make it into the top 8). So it really does feel a lot more like the two finalists simply failed to qualify rather than were obviously taken out by injury.

The 2017 WTF was just abnormally weak, due to the weakness of the overall tour and injuries of some of the top players (with all of the previous year's top 5 out injured by the end of the season, and Nadal withdrawing after one match) and I guess that's showing with the performance of the players who succeeded there. If you read that someone defeated Thiem - Goffin - PCB - Sock - Goffin back to back you'd probably assume that they just won a relatively strong 500 and survived a tough Masters R2 draw, not that they'd just completed the path to an undefeated WTF title.
I concur, they had at best minor injuries but I don't think either would have managed to qualify outright this time round. The final cutoff is probably already a little higher than it was last year, Kei and Isner sitting on about 3000 pts, probably to gain some more in the last two events. There is no way either could have done it in 2014/15 (when the 8th spot player had about 4000 pts, Cilic nearly didn't make it in 2014 with 4150 pts despite winning the USO until Nadal dropped out)

Goffin's losses to Benneteau at AO R2 and to Ebden at Wimbledon R1 (straight sets!) were particularly harsh.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
yeah that's a real shame considering how well he had been playing. I feared the same fate might befall Kei.
Yeah, in some sense Kei got lucky, it could have been worse. But injuries are part of tennis, there is no way to get around this.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Goffin has been basically injured the entire year, baffles me why he kept playing.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So basically it's just Dimitrov & Goffin plus Corretja & Moya as the exceptions. I had a quick scan through the 80s results, and despite some different formats, I don't think there were any occasions where both finalists failed to make it the following year. In fact most of the time both of them made it, although there were a couple where one failed.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
So basically it's just Dimitrov & Goffin plus Corretja & Moya as the exceptions. I had a quick scan through the 80s results, and despite some different formats, I don't think there were any occasions where both finalists failed to make it the following year. In fact most of the time both of them made it, although there were a couple where one failed.
Why is Goffin an exception, he suffered an eye injury in Rotterdam and had problems seeing the ball almost the entire clay season. He then had an elbow injury after that thus affecting his serve. He was basically serving 2 second serves.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Is there any board with all the possible scenarios?
For this week?

This is all under assumption that del Potro is skipping WTF.

If Anderson wins the title in Vienna he qualifies.
If Cilic wins the title in Basel he qualifies.
If Anderson reaches the final and Nishikori doesnt reach the semifinals, Anderson qualifies.
If Cilic reaches the semifinals and Nishikori doesnt reach the semifinals, Cilic qualifies.
If Cilic reaches the semifinals and Isner loses first match, Cilic qualifies.

no other players can qualify this week.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Dimitrov and Goffin actually cannot qualify anymore unless someone withdraws, although Goffin has been injured for a while now.
Goffin has ended his season after playing laver cup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts