Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, tennis really got me this summer and i want to actually learn how to hit the ball proper way. I have been playing since kid now and then, but never took any lessons or found out how tennis should be played until this summer.

Currently, my main sport eats all my money so i have to try to develop myself with internet, and i hope experienced players here could help me out:

·
Administrator
18,621 Posts
From what I can see, your toss is ok, but you jump to the left at contact, losing balance. This results in slicing of the ball, and it's Also harder to hit to their backhand. You need to practice balance an contact.

Try hitting some serves without moving your feet to start off, try to never step to the left, not even after your serve. If you're confident with this start serving normally, but always make sure your weight's going up instead of left.

When you hit the ball, keep your arm straight. Reach straight up into the air with your racket high as possible. That's where you should try hit the ball

·
Your visions will happen
48,556 Posts
Arsenal is right. More forward momentum instead of falling away to the left and you will have a very good serve

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Reach, and hit the ball higher.

Look at the ball, don't move head down too early.

Make sure you pronate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

I shadow drilled the motion going forward instead of losing balance, getting my left arm low and reaching my right arm straight, pronating in the follow through, felt very comfortable and thought that "i got it".

When i got to the court and ball got involved, everything went wrong.

Arsenalex, everything you noted out is correct. Currently, even when i try not to move my feet at all, if i don't fall to the left it feels like i can't even hit the ball (because of my habit of hitting too low with bent arm?). I tried so hard to get my arm straight but it felt impossible, sometimes i made the contact with the ball with the grip (while losing balance to the left with bent arm...)

Any tips/drills getting rid of my bent arm syndrome?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Can you give us a new vid? I'd like to see how it is. I believe your I can help with your arm, but I need to understand better.

Here's what I can say - take a few balls on the court, hold your feet, still, front foot at 45 degrees. You need to hit the ball above you, meaning straight arm. Fully straight. Practise anywhere _ Practise without a raquet, practise on the court. Practise in the mirror.

Even practice more in the mirror, you can see yourself. Just try in slow motion, just with your hand. Use position A, and B.
A is your arm bent behind your head, very similar to Usain Bolt's signature position. Point with your left arm up at a diagonal, in line with the direction your foot is pointing, your right elbow at a perfect right angle to your head (elbow bent at 90 degrees)
B position you move your left arm down, right ar goes straight up. Exactly above your head, completely straight, reach as high as you can.

Now practise moving slowly from A to B. Dont move your feet, and especially do not move your hips. Just move your arms.

Once you think you have mastered this, keep adding one by one, first practise adding in follow through, until finally you do your whole motion - however only move your upper body, and always remind yourself, 'A to B' and 'arm straight".

Try making it a habit, and if you ever go back to bending your arm or stepping left, I encourage punishment

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You should do a slow motion of your video so you can see what you're doing. The main issue with your serve is your toss and timing. You are tossing a little to the right and you are letting the ball drop too far before you hit it. The result is that you are hitting the ball near the side of your head (causing you to jump left to dodge it).

So, work on your toss placement (more forward and less right). Put a bucket (or a racquet) down where the ball should land if you don't hit it; every single toss should go in there. Then hit the ball when you are at full extension. Because your tendency is to wait too long, hit the ball "early".

To get the feel of a full extension, try to hit serves so that it hits or goes over the fence. This is hard to do if you're hitting the ball low. Another good tool for proper service motion is a knotted towel (as long as a racquet with the know where the ball should hit) then do continuous service motions (non-stop). If you have a hitch or an issue, you will keep hitting yourself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks the replies. I fell awkwardly and took all my weight with my right arm so haven't been able to play now (just recovered from left shoulder surgery...)

Ramirez: I will hopefully upload new video soon. Looking forward for your review!

T.C: You can now view with slow motion with new youtube player. Great point with the toss and timing, I'm going to focus on the toss placement and full extension and hopefully it becomes natural to me.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yup, I'd have to agree with everyone else. Your toss should be more towards the noon-one 'o clock position, and try to get up to the ball with a full extension.

Right now you're giving me some Dementieva teas with that toss lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts