Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...for a topic, originally intended for another board.--

What countries (or dependencies, former colonies, commonwealth nations, etc.,) sprang from Great Britain? Particularly, those that still have as their main language: English?

I started a comparison between Australia, New Zealand, the U.S.A., and the U.K., and left out Canada! :eek:

...so you know I need help.

Australia
Bahamas
Bermuda
Canada
New Zealand
U.S.A.
Zambia
Zimbabwe

·
Registered
2,426 Posts

What countries (or dependencies, former colonies, commonwealth nations, etc.,) sprang from Great Britain? Particularly, those that still have as their main language: English?

I started a comparison between Australia, New Zealand, the U.S.A., and the U.K., and left out Canada! :eek:

Australia
Bahamas
Bermuda
Canada
New Zealand
U.S.A.
Zambia
Zimbabwe
Well Ireland spent some 800 years under British rule.

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
You could include South Africa, but that's a bit tricky because it was divided between British and Dutch rule.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts

MALTA: Former British colony. Became member of Commonwealth of Nations in 1964. Official languages: Maltese AND English.

CYPRUS: Former British colony. Became member of Commonwealth of Nations in 1961. Official languages: Greek and Turkish. NOT English here. Many Cypriots speak very good English though. ;)

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Ghana
Botswana
Grenada
Barbados
Jamaica
Trinidad and Tobago
Dominica
St Kitts/Nevis
Antigua
Cayman Islands

·
RAVE ON
19,728 Posts
Belize (British Honduras)

There are so many! Wikipedia is the answer.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was Nigeria mentioned?
Nope, but thanks. I was aware of it...(and Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Transjordan, Egypt, etc., etc.,) ...remember English-mainly, or majority-language...was what I was going for. :)

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Kenya is another one. What do you mean by having English as their main language? English as their official language?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts