Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
50,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Looking like a 3 months situation, NBA wants to come back in June, but only in a best case scenario, meaning most likely it will be later than that which all but assures that RG is finished, and Wimbledon is finished and Olympics almost surely is also finished. USO maybe they can get back in that time but who knows really.

So we will see what happens

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
USA is at the beginning of a major epidemic, and since no one knows the scale of the disaster it will bring, I think any idea of a "return date" is grossly premature.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Numbers coming out of USA and Europe are discouraging.
I dont expect any tennis this year barring a miracle

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I doubt there will be any tennis in the near future. Not much is known about this virus. China has done well to stop the spread, but once people start to move normally, the numbers could rise quickly again. Expect the worst and hope for the best.

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
I doubt there will be any tennis in the near future. Not much is known about this virus. China has done well to stop the spread, but once people start to move normally, the numbers could rise quickly again. Expect the worst and hope for the best.
China is not The West, it doesn't have to worry about breaking laws when forcing people inside buildings and enforcing curfew in a very resolute way, and keeping control in other ways. We are going to be worse off.

There's a very good possibility that we won't have any slams this year. We will have to wait and see, as @Johnny Groove said.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
The way the UK government are handling this Virus you can completely write Wimbledon off from happening this year.
Yeah we all know Roland Garros is done. And Wimbledon and the US Open are unfortunately situated in countries with absolute morons as their "leaders". They are doing the worst job and hence will get hit by the virus the most. No chance this big sports events will happen.

In general, I think the only situation when big events with a crowd can be held again is when the vacchine is there. This could take a year, but maybe we are lucky and it already happens somewhere in the end of 2020.

My best guess is the next Slam will be Australia 2021. We will probably lose almost a whole tennis season.

·
Registered
20,700 Posts
All slams will be played

Reactions: a1canada

·
Super Moderator
13,482 Posts
Easy to be pessimistic at this point of course, but 6 weeks from now things will look a lot different, I suspect life will go on as normal come May .

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
The have to say something , set a presumable date . Like the 6 weeks by ATP.

Ofc , no one knows when is advisable , it seems we are learning as it happens

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Nobody knows anything. I don’t think the European majors will be played and the Olympics just can’t happen, it could really cause another outbreak.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
In all likelihood tennis and every other sport are done this year. And as I said In another thread it will be interesting to watch early on how 8t affects results. Tennis players will lose almost an entire season. We'll see who handles that best.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Over the next two weeks this will crest and then start to decline in April.

·
Your visions will happen
50,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So it seems the only agreement is there is no agreement

Some think we're done for the year others still think RG can be played

I work in a restaurant and we were busy as hell last night, hundreds of people gathering all day and night. Who knows how long this will continue

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
In all likelihood tennis and every other sport are done this year. And as I said In another thread it will be interesting to watch early on how 8t affects results. Tennis players will lose almost an entire season. We'll see who handles that best.
Who' d be willing to resume play at european clay and grass events after 1000s has been killed in the same fk place ???

Even if slowed down, it'll still be an ongoing situation, winter coming in the south part of the world

It is just unbearable to imagine resuming being broght up .

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
When I read that today China had 16 new cases, out of which 4 were domestic and 12 brought from the visitors abroad - I have many serious doubts about Europe and US.

3 months is OK only if all the governments go the Chinese way. UK, US, France are on the destination fucked and these are the slam countries unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Over the next two weeks this will crest and then start to decline in April.
I feel like everyone in north hemisphere , when talking, doesn't bother to consider (or know?) here in the south it'll peak in winter by July or so.
So I 'd imagine more restrictions from Europe to travel from Argentina and other places by that time of year (July- august).

That seems a big picture many are missing besides all I said in the other post.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
Who' d be willing to resume play at european clay and grass events after 1000s has been killed in the same fk place ???

Even if slowed down, it'll still be an ongoing situation, winter coming in the south part of the world

It is just unbearable to imagine resuming being broght up .
You're not understanding what I'm swying. I agree the season is likely done. What I said was when the tour comes back next year I'd expect some weird results as guys get back into gear. It wont be easy taking basically a full year off. The players that handle this time the best and maintain fitness the best will be the ones to have success early. But who really knows how long it will take players to get back into it.

Play will resume again but likely not until next January. Youd expect and hope hy then it will be under control

Guys who's games rely on timing and confidence like goffin and shapovalov will likely have the hardest time

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
You're not understanding what I'm swying. I agree the season is likely done. What I said was when the tour comes back next year I'd expect some weird results as guys get back into gear. It wont be easy taking basically a full year off. The players that handle this time the best and maintain fitness the best will be the ones to have success early. But who really knows how long it will take players to get back into it.

Play will resume again but likely not until next January. Youd expect and hope hy then it will be under control

Guys who's games rely on timing and confidence like goffin and shapovalov will likely have the hardest time
Yeah I was agreeing with you haha , I forgot to add some line like "yes" or I agree"

1 - 20 of 41 Posts