1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Ace Loveforty
83,408 Posts
seems like everyone is happy in the glorious nation

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
He's competing with Karimov of Uzbekistan in the Central Asian "-stan" country dictator for life sweepstakes.

·
Registered
97,310 Posts
tbh kazakhstan is doing very well under his reign

maybe they didnt get nole or fed, but still, the country is getting richer and is quite successful (not being sarcastic now)

i'm sure there's a new guy ready, in case of nazarbaev's death, there always is ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,391 Posts
So Kazakhstan will change its name like Nazarbayev envisaged earlier after winning the election? Kazania IIRC was one of the options, sounds good to be honest. Has a Narnia-touch.

·
Registered
29,419 Posts

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm sure there's a new guy ready, in case of nazarbaev's death, there always is ;)
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Dictators mostly stay on top by playing off different interests against each other - divide and rule. This tends to create a power struggle when they are gone, which can be very destabilising. Even in superficially dynastic regimes such as in North Korea and Syria, there is always a question over who is ultimately pulling the strings, or at least there are power centres not fully under one man's control.

I wonder how much money the Nazarbayev clan have stolen from the country, or how far the corruption extends through the country's elite. If it is too much, the whole system will eventually collapse, because nobody can bear to live in a country without laws or accepted standards of behaviour.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
The actual election was much closer than what the score might suggest.

·
RAVE ON
19,439 Posts
Wtf is a "super democratic" country. Either it's a democracy or it's not. Disgusting.
He didn't write superdemocratic. He wrote super democratic. He thinks our western democracies are just super.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Did you know the president has super super super sex
Ah wooh uh
I got it all year long

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
His line, "I apologize if these numbers are unacceptable for the super democratic countries but there was nothing I could do" is absolutely unreal. http://www.ibtimes.com/kazakhstan-president-nursultan-nazarbayev-reelected-98-majority-vote-1897642
:spit:

So Kazakhstan will change its name like Nazarbayev envisaged earlier after winning the election? Kazania IIRC was one of the options, sounds good to be honest. Has a Narnia-touch.
I like it :banana:

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the country is doing fine under his goverment, then no problem.
I suppose hypothetically that is true, but the problem is that it would be hard to agree on a definition of "fine".

"Fine" could mean that people are doing well economically and not being rounded up and shot for some range of normal activity. It could mean "better than Ukraine".

On the other hand, this was really why I posed the initial question about what the succession plan is, because I think you will find that this can be an awkward moment in the development of dictatorships. So things may be "fine" to some degree now, depending on your perspective - it is certainly not my perspective - but there is clearly a problem being stored up. Also, thieving, corruption, and unchecked power will eventually destroy any state, because there are no limits to its growth.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
is a democratic country without rigging, what is the highest % a prez or party has ever got? Any crazy scores like 80%?

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
is a democratic country without rigging, what is the highest % a prez or party has ever got? Any crazy scores like 80%?
wait for the 7th of May

Reactions: TigerTim

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
In France in the 2002 presidential election Jacques Chirac has been elected with 82%. But it was a second round. During the first round he collected 20% of the votes. He reached 82% due to being opposed to far-right leader Le Pen: both right wing and left wing people ended up voting for Chirac.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts