Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Re: NASA plans largest teliscope to study alien life

Some odd quotes in there. Pretty sure a telescope like that will discover a hell of a lot more than 60 planets.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts

Some odd quotes in there. Pretty sure a telescope like that will discover a hell of a lot more than 60 planets.
I think they might have meant 60 planets potentially capable of sustaining life as opposed to just 60 random uninhabitable planets.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts

It must be a very early development phase of the project, since the Orion spacecraft mentioned in the text is not planned to take any crew missions before 2020, and I doubt the telescope builders would be on the first, so the telescope is probably still decades away from being completed. :)

·
10,272 Posts

Really would serve no purpose in the grand scope of things (no pun intended), but would fking cool as hell.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts

Scientists have announced plans to build a telescope that may give us clues to whether alien life exists on planets millions of miles away.

What?

Anyway, can't wait.
16 years to go!

·
Registered
13,800 Posts

is it possible that there is no current alien life alive in the universe and that we , humans are the only active life in the universe right now. then when we die a new race on some other planet will begin. almost like every race cycles through . seems odd to think that in all of space only one society exists at a time but maybe thats the case.

maybe all we are going to find is microscopic organisms right now

granted that alone would be huge but what everyone is looking for is someone like us (by that i mean an intelligent society) ..if you want to call humans intelligent. but maybe we arent going to live long enough to find what were looking for. maybe something like us has come and gone and wont rise again until we are gone

·
Registered
11,734 Posts

is it possible that there is no current alien life alive in the universe and that we , humans are the only active life in the universe right now. then when we die a new race on some other planet will begin. almost like every race cycles through . seems odd to think that in all of space only one society exists at a time but maybe thats the case.

granted that alone would be huge but what everyone is looking for is someone like us (by that i mean an intelligent society) ..if you want to call humans intelligent. but maybe we arent going to live long enough to find what were looking for. maybe something like us has come and gone and wont rise again until we are gone
It's too soon.

There is intelligent alien life out there, but it's difficult to find, the universe is just too huge for our current technology.
If we are really intelligent, we are not going to die, so I'm sure that one day, a Earth Human will chat with a Intelligent Alien.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts

It's certainly a possibility that we are the only active life, though it doesn't seem very probable. However, I don't see how another life, thousands or millions light years away, could depend on whether we are here or no? Unless there is some entity out there artificially controlling how many societies may exist at a time.

Anyhow, almost until the Middle Ages people thought there's nothing beyond the pillars of Gibraltar, while today there's pretty much no place on Earth where you couldn't arrive within two days or so, some day the same will be true for our Solar system and in distant future hopefully for the Universe as well :)

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
NASA has no money. This is all talk until it actually gets launched.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Date of completion: 2050

·
Registered
9,394 Posts

Scientists have announced plans to build a telescope that may give us clues to whether alien life exists on planets millions of miles away.

What?
Yeah that's another odd thing. Strange to count the distance to planets several light years away in millions of miles.

On the subject of extraterrestrial life, maybe we're just one of the first civilizations to arise and that explains a lack of contact. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if interstellar civilisations are incredibly rare. It seems more likely to me we'll destroy ourselves before we ever colonise outside the solar system.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts

Yeah that's another odd thing. Strange to count the distance to planets several light years away in millions of miles.
Probably it just means 'far far away', it's the Independent, not Sky&Telescope or Astronomy :)

On the subject of extraterrestrial life, maybe we're just one of the first civilizations to arise and that explains a lack of contact. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if interstellar civilisations are incredibly rare. It seems more likely to me we'll destroy ourselves before we ever colonise outside the solar system.
People are both resourceful and very resilient, I wouldn't take all those doomsday stories too seriously - surviving the Ice Age with tools made of stone was probably far more challenging than anything we face today, yet here we are :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts