Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in mtf quite long, and I have always unawaredly read Sombrero Loco and not "Sombrerero Loco" , I realized it only few weeks ago.

The same happens with the user name Jolyon, I used to assume his nickname was actually Joylon.

Did it happen to someone else?

·
9,507 Posts
I thought you mean their character :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
@Ilkae
I wondered for a long time if there are two Ls or two Is, one I and one L or one L with one I.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
@Ilkae
I wondered for a long time if there are two Ls or two Is, one I and one L or one L with one I.
Tag is correct, so you figured it out 🙂. I can tell you where it comes from. This (peculiar) IDM musician/artist:

Heard it some fifteen or so years ago, but the name of the album (Pistachio Island) and songs apparently were stuck in my head. The whole thing (names and sound) reminds me of Super Mario Bros or some other old school platform game(s)...

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,289 Posts
acacacacademy or a(ca)x4 demy

I can't be bothered with those extra ca's...

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Tag is correct, so you figured it out 🙂. I can tell you where it comes from. This (peculiar) IDM musician/artist:

Heard it some fifteen or so years ago, but the name of the album (Pistachio Island) and songs apparently were stuck in my head. The whole thing (names and sound) reminds me of Super Mario Bros or some other old school platform game(s)...
Are you very familar with the Japanese langauge?

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Are you very familar with the Japanese langauge?
Not very... Studied it a few years (not full time) and spent 6-7 months in Japan (mainly Tokyo). Still have a basic foundation, but have forgotten plenty. Became more proficient in Chinese (have studied it in Finland and stayed/studied in Taipei, Chengdu, Beijing (took the most language lessons here) and Shanghai), but same thing here, haven't used or kept it up for many years now. Was probably at around HSK 3.5 or so (passed HSK 3).

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Not very... Studied it a few years (not full time) and spent 6-7 months in Japan (mainly Tokyo). Still have a basic foundation, but have forgotten plenty. Became more proficient in Chinese (have studied it in Finland and stayed/studied in Taipei, Chengdu, Beijing (took the most language lessons here) and Shanghai), but same thing here, haven't used or kept it up for many years now. Was probably at around HSK 3.5 or so (passed HSK 3).
That's impressive. Wish I had a third language where I'm as proficient as that 😅 Is Chinese harder than you thought?
@IBM is also an avid Chinese learner. He's more focused on Cantonese though.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
That's impressive. Wish I had a third language where I'm as proficient as that 😅 Is Chinese harder than you thought?
@IBM is also an avid Chinese learner. He's more focused on Cantonese though.
I don't know what I thought really... I think I had no specific expectations. Ended up following my friend to Chengdu rather ex tempore for my first venture into China and Chinese language. But I feel it isn't that hard at least at the level I reached due to Chinese not having (IINM) e.g. verb conjugations, grammatical gender or articles. More so just need to learn and memorize words and specific phrases/signifiers which you then put one after another to form a sentence. Speaking/pronounciation I picked up quite well. Writing and reading the characters though adds to the difficulty.

Cantonese I've never studied. I like the way it sounds.

In Finland people tend to know at least three languages, but often some other on top of that. Finnish and Swedish are both official languages and part of the curriculum at elementary school, but there's a neverending discussion about Swedish... ca. 6% of Finns speak Swedish as their mother tongue (my father was bilingual; they spoke both Finnish and Swedish at home when he was growing up), but the general public don't necessarily end up learning it that well since if you don't live in the Swedish speaking regions you might never need to actually use it. People living near the eastern border e.g. have questioned whether learning Russian would be more beneficial for them. But Swedish has nevertheless remained part of the Finnish identity to some extent (as said, an official language). English is the leading lingua franca around the world and Finns (like most) also tend to learn it quite well, not only in school but also from being exposed to it in various media. Back in the day there was a decision on whether to start dubbing foreign films or use subtitles, and the latter won, just barely AFAIK. A good decision however that has allowed generations to learn foreign languages from tv and films (pre internet/Youtube era; these days it's a little different since you can find all kinds of material online 24/7). I suppose also being a small/fringe nation, the people in charge thought learning other languages was essential.

Myself, I also studied French in high school for one year. To this day I regret stopping. I still don't quite know why, but I think I was just lacking focus at that point and didn't get along that well with the teacher either. It's not that I was truly bad at it at that point (I always somewhat enjoyed language studies). Tried to also learn Spanish in university but that didn't work out either. German I learned for 9 years in the elementary school and high school. Level is decent. If I'd rank them it would be Finnish, English, German, Swedish, Chinese, Japanese. The thing though with languages is that you need to reach quite a high level to really benefit from them work/careerwise/monetarily. But nevertheless you'll also likely learn something about the culture of said language which I'd say in itself is also educational and perhaps gives you some new perspective. Best way to learn for sure would be to get to live in a country where the language is spoken, so you can pick up something everyday and have plenty of opportunities to apply the language/what you've learned.

·
54,289 Posts
I don't know what I thought really... I think I had no specific expectations. Ended up following my friend to Chengdu rather ex tempore for my first venture into China and Chinese language. But I feel it isn't that hard at least at the level I reached due to Chinese not having (IINM) e.g. verb conjugations, grammatical gender or articles. More so just need to learn and memorize words and specific phrases/signifiers which you then put one after another to form a sentence. Speaking/pronounciation I picked up quite well. Writing and reading the characters though adds to the difficulty.

Cantonese I've never studied. I like the way it sounds.

In Finland people tend to know at least three languages, but often some other on top of that. Finnish and Swedish are both official languages and part of the curriculum at elementary school, but there's a neverending discussion about Swedish... ca. 6% of Finns speak Swedish as their mother tongue (my father was bilingual; they spoke both Finnish and Swedish at home when he was growing up), but the general public don't necessarily end up learning it that well since if you don't live in the Swedish speaking regions you might never need to actually use it. People living near the eastern border e.g. have questioned whether learning Russian would be more beneficial for them. But Swedish has nevertheless remained part of the Finnish identity to some extent (as said, an official language). English is the leading lingua franca around the world and Finns (like most) also tend to learn it quite well, not only in school but also from being exposed to it in various media. Back in the day there was a decision on whether to start dubbing foreign films or use subtitles, and the latter won, just barely AFAIK. A good decision however that has allowed generations to learn foreign languages from tv and films (pre internet/Youtube era; these days it's a little different since you can find all kinds of material online 24/7). I suppose also being a small/fringe nation, the people in charge thought learning other languages was essential.

Myself, I also studied French in high school for one year. To this day I regret stopping. I still don't quite know why, but I think I was just lacking focus at that point and didn't get along that well with the teacher either. It's not that I was truly bad at it at that point (I always somewhat enjoyed language studies). Tried to also learn Spanish in university but that didn't work out either. German I learned for 9 years in the elementary school and high school. Level is decent. If I'd rank them it would be Finnish, English, German, Swedish, Chinese, Japanese. The thing though with languages is that you need to reach quite a high level to really benefit from them work/careerwise/monetarily. But nevertheless you'll also likely learn something about the culture of said language which I'd say in itself is also educational and perhaps gives you some new perspective. Best way to learn for sure would be to get to live in a country where the language is spoken, so you can pick up something everyday and have plenty of opportunities to apply the language/what you've learned.
Stephen Chow films (like Kungfu hustle) are usually best enjoyed in Cantonese. :p

(actually Mui speaks in Mandarin here in the Shaolin Soccer clip, but the others in Cantonese, I like that they can understand each other without changing dialects)

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Stephen Chow films (like Kungfu hustle) are usually best enjoyed in Cantonese. :p

(actually Mui speaks in Mandarin here in the Shaolin Soccer clip, but the others in Cantonese, I like that they can understand each other without changing dialects)

Kungfu Hustle, fantastic movie. I'm not sure if I've ever actually watched the full Shaolin Soccer although I've seen some clips. Funny clip that one as well, should try to watch the whole thing at some point.

edit. Picked this up during a visit to HK, IIRC it was from the Hong Kong Film Archive. It says this was a screening programme focusing on the 20th century. Last movie listed is from 1999, so no Shaolin Soccer or Kungfu Hustle. Some movies by Jackie Chan on there though, predecessors in this comedic kungfu genre. Also both Fong Sai Yuk's.

·
54,289 Posts
Kungfu Hustle, fantastic movie. I'm not sure if I've ever actually watched the full Shaolin Soccer although I've seen some clips. Funny clip that one as well, should try to watch the whole thing at some point.
Going back over the Kungfu Hustle scene, I didn't realise previously, but at 3:32 after the two assassin monks leave crawling on the ground, the husband says, "Yi fan dou sai yuek fei. Suen la", which translates to "(even) if you heal (them) back to full health, it would be a waste of medical fees. Let it be." I presume that he was referring to those monks, and if so, that's quite a funny jibe.

There's a lot of slapstick for sure in Shaolin Soccer, perhaps more than in KFH. You might also recognise some overlap between actors hired for both films if you do end up watching it.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Going back over the Kungfu Hustle scene, I didn't realise previously, but at 3:32 after the two assassin monks leave crawling on the ground, the husband says, "Yi fan dou sai yuek fei. Suen la", which translates to "(even) if you heal (them) back to full health, it would be a waste of medical fees. Let it be." I presume that he was referring to those monks, and if so, that's quite a funny jibe.

There's a lot of slapstick for sure in Shaolin Soccer, perhaps more than in KFH. You might also recognise some overlap between actors hired for both films if you do end up watching it.
My favourite Stephen Chow films are the God of Cookery and Fight Back to School. Classic. Even funnier for those who know Cantonese.

·
54,289 Posts

edit. Picked this up during a visit to HK, IIRC it was from the Hong Kong Film Archive. It says this was a screening programme focusing on the 20th century. Last movie listed is from 1999, so no Shaolin Soccer or Kungfu Hustle. Some movies by Jackie Chan on there though, predecessors in this comedic kungfu genre. Also both Fong Sai Yuk's.

View attachment 359019
Hopefully it has A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2 in it. Meals on Wheels might also feature, Jackie Chan had an epic fight with Benny the Jet there.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Hopefully it has A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2 in it. Meals on Wheels might also feature, Jackie Chan had an epic fight with Benny the Jet there.
From John Woo there is A Better Tomorrow and The Killer... Some others starring Chow Yun-fat in there are God of Gamblers and City on Fire (haven't seen) among a few others... From Jackie Chan there is Drunken Master and Police Story. From Bruce Lee, The Way of the Dragon. From Wong Kar-wai, Days of Being Wild and Ashes of Time (haven't seen, I think). Some Shaw Brothers kung fu movies. One from Sammo Hung called The Prodigal Son (haven't seen; speaking of Sammo Hung, I don't recall that scene you're talking about from Meals on Wheels and not much else from that movie either, but I recall watching it a few times during high school; another one I remember liking was My Lucky Stars; had my brother cut me a Sammo Hung haircut around that time :D ). Quite a few from Tsui Hark. The one I've seen is Once Upon a Time in China. Others that don't ring a bell are The Butterfly Murders, Dangerous Encounters of the 1st Kind, Shanghai Blues...

A few other crime/triad movies in there as well. A couple of trailers if you've yet to see these (haven't myself):

Johnnie To: The Mission

Tsui Hark: Dangerous Encounters of the 1st Kind

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
@Ilkae's knowledge has given me an identity crisis.
LOL... Nah, most of the names listed there are pretty well known worldwide, and have even made their way into Hollywood. Your country just has a rich and successful history in film. Have not seen the ones you listed above, thanks for sharing. God of Cookery particularly sounds intriguing as I generally like to watch movies that deal with food/cooking in some way. Reminds me of another one that I have on my "to watch" list, but have yet to see. Tampopo (a Japanese comedy/drama):

This one I saw a few years ago. Was quite nice (for my liking):

1 - 18 of 18 Posts