Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being someone who is extremely loyal to his country and someone who believes that athletes should do their best to represent their country, I can't help but wonder if Nalbandians obsession with winning a DC is a little strange.

First of all, unlike soccer and even rugby, the DC doesn't really have a storied history and in fact has been taken relatively lightly by prior legends of the game. In fact, you don't have to look too far past the likes of Federer and Nadal, who have regularly missed DC ties ( including Nadal earlier this year and Fed last year)

Secondly, tennis is not a team sport, it's actually an insvidual sport. This has to take away from the accomplishment of winning a "title" as a team.

If Nalbandian really wants to represent his country he should have focused more on winning an Olympic medal.

It's great to see a man so dedicated to representing his country but perhaps his country may appreciate more of a dedication to Nalbandian losing weight and focusing on some kind of a run at the 2012 olympics.

Best of luck to David and the Argentines in Spain next month but hopefully if things don't go their way all the pressure that Nalbandian has put on himself and his teammates doesn't haunt him and his compatriots in the long run.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
DC doesn't have a storied history don't say that to John McEnroe, Boris Becker, Rod Laver. The Swedes who dominated in the 80s making the final every year from 83-89 on all surfaces. Spain, France, Argentina and Australia there is Davis Cup tradition. Argentina unlike the others never won it.

Federer and Nadal aren't representative of Davis Cup.

As for Nalbandian, he is his own man if he wants to win a Davis Cup more than a Slam then he can think that. DC has a lot of history saying otherwise just shows a lack of basic research skills. Whether people like the event or not is another subject.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Before the Open Era, Davis Cup was considered one of the most prestigious titles in tennis.

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Being someone who is extremely loyal to his country and someone who believes that athletes should do their best to represent their country, I can't help but wonder if Nalbandians obsession with winning a DC is a little strange.

First of all, unlike soccer and even rugby, the DC doesn't really have a storied history and in fact has been taken relatively lightly by prior legends of the game. In fact, you don't have to look too far past the likes of Federer and Nadal, who have regularly missed DC ties ( including Nadal earlier this year and Fed last year)

Secondly, tennis is not a team sport, it's actually an insvidual sport. This has to take away from the accomplishment of winning a "title" as a team.

If Nalbandian really wants to represent his country he should have focused more on winning an Olympic medal.

It's great to see a man so dedicated to representing his country but perhaps his country may appreciate more of a dedication to Nalbandian losing weight and focusing on some kind of a run at the 2012 olympics.

Best of luck to David and the Argentines in Spain next month but hopefully if things don't go their way all the pressure that Nalbandian has put on himself and his teammates doesn't haunt him and his compatriots in the long run.
The bolded part is just plain false. That shows to me your knowledge on the history of the game is not at all up to scratch.

Secondly, the people who think that the DC is not important or prestigious are usually die hard Federer or Nadal fans who frequently witness their heroes skipping ties. This makes the thought process change to DC is irrelevant.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Only a Fedtard can come up with this thread

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
DC doesn't have a storied history don't say that to John McEnroe, Boris Becker, Rod Laver. The Swedes who dominated in the 80s making the final every year from 83-89 on all surfaces. Spain, France, Argentina and Australia there is Davis Cup tradition. Argentina unlike the others never won it.

Federer and Nadal aren't representative of Davis Cup.

As for Nalbandian, he is his own man if he wants to win a Davis Cup more than a Slam then he can think that. DC has a lot of history saying otherwise just shows a lack of basic research skills. Whether people like the event or not is another subject.

:bigclap:

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
You don't know too much about game history, do you

Returning from Australia in 1951, Tony Trabert told friends, "I don't care how many major tournaments you play in — the Davis Cup is in a class by itself. You, as an individual, are representing an entire nation. It's a wonderful—but terrifying sensation."

In 50s it was a real war between USA and Australia and that matches were something special (1954 final in front of more then 25000 people)

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Ergo: Davis Cup is more prestigous than Majors because one anonymous guy said that 60 years ago.
In that case, NoleGOAT has got the edge over Olderer .

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Nobody complains when Nadalfans disvalue World Tour Finals, which is undoubtedly tougher to win than Davis Cup.
Yes we do :lol:

Davis Cup is a great accomplishment, although I wouldn't rate it when accounting a singles player's individual accomplishments. Like Fed winning a doubles gold, it's with a teammate/teammates not individual effort and you can still win a trophy just being on the team without playing a single match. Still, Davis Cup stands alone as a team competition, far more prestigious than World Team Tennis or whatever the German team one is called :eek:

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Yes we do :lol:

Davis Cup is a great accomplishment, although I wouldn't rate it when accounting a singles player's individual accomplishments. Like Fed winning a doubles gold, it's with a teammate/teammates not individual effort and you can still win a trophy just being on the team without playing a single match. Still, Davis Cup stands alone as a team competition, far more prestigious than World Team Tennis or whatever the German team one is called :eek:
Of course it is, personally I'd rather win the DC in a team environment than the WTF.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Federer is obsessed by Sampras
Nadal is obsessed by his career and by money
Murray is obsessed by video games
Verdasco is obsessed by his look
All players are obsessed by something

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
:lol: NID that a Fedtard from Switzerland would come up with this shit.
I thought you were talking about me, I'm from the USA, but now I see you meant OP :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts