Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
What does it matter how he performaned over the year? The fact is that he collected enough points in time to make it to No. 9 in the race and therefore he is the deserved substitution player for the TMC.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Stupid thread, Nalbandian deserves to be there because he is right now the best player in the world indoors atleast and barely overweight, no matter how fat and lazy he was before this year.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Nalbandian deserves exactly what he earned, the Number 9 spot in the ATP Race. Whether or not he gets to play is out of his hands. Did he even confirm that he would accept the alternate spot, or is he waiting to say anything to see what develops in the next few days?

This same discussion was already happening in the other thread, I agree that it did not need a new one. C'est la vie.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Fit Dave is back! He shuns the buffet and the donuts! He prefers his veggies and chicken!

·
Registered
73,670 Posts
:rolleyes: Really, people, without the last month Nalby had an average year. Look at the ytd from this link and honestly say he was better than an average year.

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?player=N301

considering how flaky some of the final 8 played during the year nalby must have really sucked to have missed the tmc 8 :haha:
better than gonzalez being great at the start of the season and now being total shit.

i want to see in-form players at shanghai.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
He deserves not to go thanks to his horrible form from January to September.

We deserved to see Fit Dave in Shanghai! :sad:

Let's collect money to bribe Davy to fake an injury! :banana:

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
better than gonzalez being great at the start of the season and now being total shit.

i want to see in-form players at shanghai.
On this form Nadal, Davydenko, Roddick, Gonzalez and Gasquet would be lucky to win a set against Nalbandian and Federer is now on a 4 set in a row losing run against Nalbandian.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Not to mention that this would be a preview of next year--we finally have a top 10 that has players able to challenge not only one another but Roger as well. Gonzo, as much as I like him, will not be doing much in Shanghai except taking up a seat.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The rules are very clear! Sorry! Do you hate Nalbandian? Look, at least Nalbandian beat Federer (twice) and won 2 masters. The tour was boring and Nalbandian brought some freshness. Some of the 8 best players couldnt do that in a whole year, some of them didnt win big tournaments. Nalbandian is fine.. I hope someone (one in particular) decides not to go and we can see real tennis in Shangai.. not Federer beating everyone in 2.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
deserving or undeserving, i prefer nalbandian to be in shanghai as a fan of tennis and a fan of competition.

·
yawn
10,517 Posts
When Nalby is on he's a beauty to watch but unfortunately his form came back too late to grant him a spot in Shanghai.
Problems with his back and with the motivation didn't do much good either.

But still I'd love to see him play there.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I think he deserves to go to Shanghai instead Gasquet and Gonzo

What did Gasquet during this season apart of that Wim semis (fluke) and that shitty tournament in India ?

Reactions: yomike

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
See, like I said in the other thread, there's an exception to the qualification rule that allows grand slam winners entry to the TMC. Such a rule allows for a player who is lucky enough to peak during a grand slam to contest at the final tournament--as such, what about players like Nalbandian who win multiple AMS, beating the #1 and #2 in consecutive finals? I know rules are rules but David deserves to go more than other players who have had consistent results (or a peak month or two and a shit year) but no major wins or this many wins over top players.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
See, like I said in the other thread, there's an exception to the qualification rule that allows grand slam winners entry to the TMC. Such a rule allows for a player who is lucky enough to peak during a grand slam to contest at the final tournament--as such, what about players like Nalbandian who win multiple AMS, beating the #1 and #2 in consecutive finals? I know rules are rules but David deserves to go more than other players who have had consistent results (or a peak month or two and a shit year) but no major wins or this many wins over top players.
It's not that common, but Gaudio in 2004, Costa in 2002 and I think Tojo the year he won the Australian are the recent ones.
Gaudio was 10th in the ATP rankings, and lost all his RR matches in TMC

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
It's not that common, but Gaudio in 2004, Costa in 2002 and I think Tojo the year he won the Australian are the recent ones.
Gaudio was 10th in the ATP rankings, and lost all his RR matches in TMC
Yeah, Tojo and Costa benefited by this in 2002 i think.
Also Ivanisevic in 2001 qualified this way.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts