Registered
6,652 Posts
Copa Telmex QF: Nalbandian def. Starace 4-6 7-6(5) 6-4

tough one

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
Re: Copa Telmex QF: Nalbandian def. Starace 4-6 7-6(5) 6-4

Could anyone who watched the match tell us about the match? Did David struggle or Starace play well?
Anyhow, congrats David!

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Starace was 6-4, *1-0 before one of the rain delays i think :eek:

It was a pretty funny match, but i'm dissapointed that Nalbo needed 3 sets to win. And he was *5-2 in the third and managed to get broken and Potito had at least 1 break point chance when nalbo was serving for the match at *5-4 :haha:

He should start playing seriously if he wants to beat Almagro :lol:

·
Registered
6,652 Posts

2 rain delays, lots of score swings. I wish I saw this one live. I bet the athmosphere was awesome.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Vamos David Carajoooo!

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

That match was incredibly frustrating to follow on the scoreboard. Nalbandian got involved in all of Starace's service games early on in the third set but couldn't break for the first few return games. He serves 4 double faults trying to consolidate the first break but holds anyway then he goes up two breaks at 5-2 and gets very very close to getting broken back to level at 5-5 but finally finishes it off on his third match point.

In any case, well done to David for making his first SF in Buenos Aires.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Starace served at 93% :scared:

Nalbo made 6 aces and 6 double faults :lol:

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Starace was 6-4, *1-0 before one of the rain delays i think :eek:

It was a pretty funny match, but i'm dissapointed that Nalbo needed 3 sets to win. And he was *5-2 in the third and managed to get broken and Potito had at least 1 break point chance when nalbo was serving for the match at *5-4 :haha:

He should start playing seriously if he wants to beat Almagro :lol:
Nalbandian did not play great but he did well, just Starace is a pretty tough clay courter and the conditions were the best for him and the worst for Nalbandian -a heavy clay court for the rain-

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
should have been easier

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Great fighting spirit by David :) (with some really lack of concentration problems) + Diego shouting at every point

great match to watch :D

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
After the first rain break Nalbandian was completely off and Starace took a 6-4 *1-0 lead -- then Nalbandian got very lucky with a long second rain break which allowed him to regroup and he worked himself back into the match in the second set.

·
Miss Thang
36,083 Posts
Way to give everyone a heart attack, Davy! Next time, please don't serve like you're an amateur.
To your credit, the conditions were horrible, and you pulled it out! Congratulations!

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Nalbandian did not play great but he did well, just Starace is a pretty tough clay courter and the conditions were the best for him and the worst for Nalbandian -a heavy clay court for the rain-
Yeah, i know, but i'm still expecting David to cruise through opponents like at the end of last year and i always end up dissapointed :lol:

I wish i weren't a delusional Nalbo fan :p :lol:

·
Registered
11,616 Posts
Nalbandian couldn't put a 1st serve in to save his life in the 3rd set, that's why he struggled so much on serve.

After the match he said the conditions were very bad for him as he felt his shots weren't doing any damage as the court was very heavy and slow due to the rain.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Fuck your luck ATP version of Bartoli

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nalbandian couldn't put a 1st serve in to save his life in the 3rd set, that's why he struggled so much on serve.

After the match he said the conditions were very bad for him as he felt his shots weren't doing any damage as the court was very heavy and slow due to the rain.
Yeah, ironically Starace put in 97 percent of his first serves in that third set, yet also struggled mightily on his serve. And that's always going to be the problem with Starace in a third set. He goes for so little and has such little variety that the opponent eventually can just handle it like another ground stroke.

·
Banned
31,496 Posts
After the first rain break Nalbandian was completely off and Starace took a 6-4 *1-0 lead -- then Nalbandian got very lucky with a long second rain break which allowed him to regroup and he worked himself back into the match in the second set.
Starace got lucky in the first rain break at 4-4 15-0 to Bandy with all the momentum with Dave. Then when they comeback, Starace broke and got the set.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts