Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
This space for rent.
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deceptive scoreline considering Chela played nearly perfect tennis for the first five games or so. And then, déjà vu all over again. Rafa turns it up yet another notch and NO ONE can keep up.

Well done, Chela.

Rafa, you simply rule.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Deceptive scoreline considering Chela played nearly perfect tennis for the first five games or so. And then, déjà vu all over again. Rafa turns it up yet another notch and NO ONE can keep up.

Well done, Chela.

Rafa, you simply rule.

Clay Monster cut it too close for comfort in that 1st set. he was ever so close to being down 2-5. its that good old fashioned mental toughness that he brings with him.

they played in Monte Carlo as well as at Indian Wells last year. Nadal demolished him (Chela) completely on both occasions.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Clay Monster cut it too close for comfort in that 1st set. he was ever so close to being down 2-5. its that good old fashioned mental toughness that he brings with him.

they played in Monte Carlo as well as at Indian Wells last year. Nadal demolished him (Chela) completely on both occasions.

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/headtohead/?player1=nadal&player2=chela

2007 ATP Masters Series Indian Wells
CA, U.S.A. Hard Q Nadal Chela 7-5 7-5

7-5 7-5 is not demolishing... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Chela had his chances to "challenge" Nadal in the first set but then again it takes a lot more than that to beat someone who has been defeated just once on this surface in his previous 101 matches.

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts

OMG. Congrats :hatoff:

Good fight Rafa.

That b/h sucks ass.

·
This space for rent.
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Not to disagree with you but I'd make the same point both Argentinian commentators were making on FOX-LA -- namely that Chela was playing as well as they'd ever seen him (talking about the first 7 games or so) and that if it was anyone but Nadal across the net, the set would have been his. But that's just it, how many players in his 101 match winning streak have out-played Nadal for a few stretches of their matches? Quite a few if my memory still works. But the question that no one's been able to answer just yet (excepting Fed in that sole loss, which is certainly an outlier, being as it is less than 1% of his last 102 matches) is how to maintain that level of perfection for say, over one set. Never mind that Nadal also has a lot to do with their drop in perfection as he starts to bang and/or retrieve harder and harder thus forcing the opponent to lose his rhythm. Soon after that, as we saw with Fed in MC and Chela 2day (and an almost infinite number of times before) they crack, by either going for too much or simply giving up.

I think it is clear that ATM the only way Nadal loses on clay is if he beats himself. Which of course, is bound to happen if only because of the law of probabilities.

·
This space for rent.
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After that 20 minute game at 4-3, you know Chela is done.
Yep. That was pretty much it. And I don't know about you, but I felt that the longer it went the better the odds that Nadal would win it (the game). It's almost inevitable when anyone gets into one of those epic exchanges with him.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts