Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Djok changed his racquet a couple of years ago, but he seemed to play below his best for a year and then became a hardcore force after that year of adapting and reached the 2010 Wimbledon semis and 2010 US Open final.

Nadal whereas has seemingly adjusted within just one month, and presumably will get even better as he now has all of February to train with it. But was this racquet weight change the true difference for Nadal reaching Djok 2.0's level?

If it was the racquet, then that has big implications for Nadal's year, as Nadal continues to adjust.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
If he keeps moon balling and pushing defensively, the heavier racket won't make a difference. Rafa should go for winners, even if it means more UEs.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If he keeps moon balling and pushing defensively, the heavier racket won't make a difference. Rafa should go for winners, even if it means more UEs.
That's exactly what he just did in this AO final - 71 unforced errors! 44 winners. If he didn't go for winners when he was down 0-40 in the 4th set, we wouldn't have had a 5th set. I think Djokovic falling to the canvas twice in the 5th set may have made Nadal believe in playing a bit more defensively to extend the rallies. Still, hard to argue with the results, Nadal was up a break in the 5th, and that would usually be good enough for a win.

·
Premium Member
21,609 Posts
Nadal was lucky that Nole started very slow to lose the 1st set, and generally failed to convert loads of break points, 7/20 was the total score, he won't be so lucky every time. Nonetheless, Novak still had more winners and less UEs.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Djok was lucky Nadal stopped attacking in the 2nd and 3rd sets. Nadal in the 1st set was a lot more positive, and he only regained that positive approach late in the 4th set. Then mid-way through the 5th set Nadal reverted back to defensive play to extend the points to make Djok suffer. I think Djok once again sucked his opponent in to an extent, with the falling on the floor after points.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
no. Djokovic was stiff as a plank in the first set, choked massively in the fourth set. Nadal returned the favour in the fifth.

But when Nole was playing well, got the adrenaline and juices flowing, he outplayed Nadal. People are saying AO is Nole's best surface. True. But its a great surface for Nadal too. The results dont show it, but the slow as ass surface suits Nadal PERFECTLY. Even more than USO surface.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Nadal came close in this match because of Djokovic's inability to clip it out at some points. Djokovic's BP conversion was on 35%. Had he managed to convert one of his BP's at 0-40, the match would've been over at the 4th. I think it had more to do with Djokovic's slightly decreased level at parts of the match than whatever it was that Nadal did.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If Nadal didn't start every return of serve 12ft behind the baseline he would have been dictating the points rather than always playing catch up.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
not much to separate these two war horses. unimaginable defense, mixed in with counter attacking offense. no one defends better in history of the sport than these two. even federer at his peak couldn't defend that well when pressured on the backhand, but he didnt need to do much defending,

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
If Nadal didn't start every return of serve 12ft behind the baseline he would have been dictating the points rather than always playing catch up.
nadal's ROS doesn't have an offensive element. he never developed it. he doesnt have the short back swings that djokovic and murray have.

his defensive ROS, combined with weak 2nd serve, make him just a tad less than djokovic at this stage. fitness wise, he looks the goods, and i favour rafa in the longer rally

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
nadal's ROS doesn't have an offensive element. he never developed it. he doesnt have the short back swings that djokovic and murray have.

his defensive ROS, combined with weak 2nd serve, make him just a tad less than djokovic at this stage.
I believe it was in his match against Federer, Toni signaled (there was a close up on him) for Nadal to move into the baseline and Nadal seemed to have some success against the Federer serve. So I'm not sure why he retreated halfway to the back wall everytime.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
No, the reason Nadal got close was that Djoker played like absolute shit.

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
We need more Djokovic/Nadal threads in GM.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Funny how Nadal switched to a heavier racket for "more power" then averaged his FS around 180kmh and the 2nd serve at a weak 130kmh (big reason Djokovic could break him many times)

It's not going to be that easy. He's still afraid of double faults, unforced errors and such things to ever really go for it. He doesn't want to give away anything but to play with power and true aggression and gain points from free he must also be prepared to give up points for free. He needs a new mindset rather than a new racket.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no. Djokovic was stiff as a plank in the first set, choked massively in the fourth set. Nadal returned the favour in the fifth.
And Nadal served a double fault to give Djok the 2nd set 6-4. Not saying Djok wouldn't have broken him anyway, but it did end with a double-fault.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nadal came close in this match because of Djokovic's inability to clip it out at some points. Djokovic's BP conversion was on 35%. Had he managed to convert one of his BP's at 0-40, the match would've been over at the 4th. I think it had more to do with Djokovic's slightly decreased level at parts of the match than whatever it was that Nadal did.
But Nadal hit clean winners when he was down 0-40. Nadal simply outplayed Djok. Nadal won the 4th set with all-out attack. Djok is lucky Nadal reverted to defense in the 5th set.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Funny how Nadal switched to a heavier racket for "more power" then averaged his FS around 180kmh and the 2nd serve at a weak 130kmh (big reason Djokovic could break him many times)

It's not going to be that easy. He's still afraid of double faults, unforced errors and such things to ever really go for it. He doesn't want to give away anything but to play with power and true aggression and gain points from free he must also be prepared to give up points for free. He needs a new mindset rather than a new racket.
I agree.

He only seemed to go ultra-aggressive when the match was slipping away in the 4th set. In that game he was down 0-40, that is the most attacking tennis I've ever seen from Nadal in his entire career. He also attacked in the tie-breaker. He started the 5th set reasonably aggressive, but then when Djok starting falling down I think Nadal reverted to extending the rallies. Bad idea. That's kind of what happened in last year's US Open. Nadal aggressively won the 3rd set, and then played too short/defensive in the 4th set perhaps because he thought Djok was in a bad way physically. Then Djok slams winners with ease.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts