Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Nadal losing it mentally? Whenever Rafa is interviewed after a bad loss he seems to have a very good sense of perspective saying things like losses are natural in sport, etc. Off court, Rafa seems to take everything in stride. On court it is a different story. The recent losses on clay revealed a Nadal whose fidgeting between points has been painful to observe. While sitting on change overs Rafa's body language is even more extreme bordering on madness.

I don't think Nadal's game will improve until he finds some measure of calm. The fist pumps and yells of vamos seem fake. Belief is gone.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Is Nadal losing it mentally? Whenever Rafa is interviewed after a bad loss he seems to have a very good sense of perspective saying things like losses are natural in sport, etc. Off court, Rafa seems to take everything in stride. On court it is a different story. The recent losses on clay revealed a Nadal whose fidgeting between points has been painful to observe. While sitting on change overs Rafa's body language is even more extreme bordering on madness.

I don't think Nadal's game will improve until he finds some measure of calm. The fist pumps and yells of vamos seem fake. Belief is gone.
Its called decline. Tell me please another player who has had

10 CONSECUTIVE SLAM WINNING YEARS.

So he now has a year where he doesn't win a slam and everyone is writing his obituary. There will never be another quite like him. If it's over, it's over. But if he has one more great run in him that will come when you've all written him off. Rafa doesn't follow the script.

Nobody saw 2013 coming. He only has to find 70% of his game and they ALL FALL DOWN!

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Coming from an ardent Rafa's fan. Rafa's and Uncle Toni's interviews are pretty standard, these days.

. Today is not my day. I made too many mistakes.
. Today I did not play with the feeling. When you don't play with the feeling, you are off.
. The better player won. Let's accept and congratulate the winner.
. It's sport. There are more important things in life. Life moves on.
. I have won it for so many years before. I can say I don't have to win it any more, but I want to.
. I will work harder than ever to be back at the top and at my best. I can't give you the time, though.

Not complaining and not being sarcastic. Actually, what else to say in the interviews, after every loss. They should ban interviewing players, after every game. I have huge respect for both of them.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Well, IMO he will never return to top 2, but he can easily regain clay dominance. After all, he is incredible clay player,and even with decline he could still snatch 3-4 big titles on it (m1000 and RG)

·
Registered
29,236 Posts
He hasn't been mentally healthy since Toni started to work on him, poor guy

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well, IMO he will never return to top 2, but he can easily regain clay dominance. After all, he is incredible clay player,and even with decline he could still snatch 3-4 big titles on it (m1000 and RG)
Even if he is back to 80% consistently (which is the key) he can beat rest of the guys on clay. But to beat Djokovic he would need to be close to his best at least to 90%. It won't be easy.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
I think that he is a bit out of it mentally either in terms of caring or in terms like focus. I hope he just hasn't hit a period where he's accomplished a lot and has lot the interest. if it's decline that's one thing, but it would be a bummer if he just starting fishing and golfing because he doesn't care about tennis

I've noticed that in some of Nadal's losses this year he seemed almost overly accepting of it- like it doesn't bother him as much anymore. old Nadal would be grumpy as fuck when he lost, because he super cared. I don't know. maybe that says something

hopefully he comes back hard mentally and physically for the US Open

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Nadal doesn't have innate confidence. It builds match by match for him.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Rafa's fine, lay off him. I for one wish him a speedy recovery back to top 5.

·
|
15,009 Posts
Well I know who's not right mentally-
Having won a thrilling second set tie-break to level the match,
Federer had just dropped his serve to fall 3-2 behind when the rain
came.

"I think maybe the rain came at a bad time for me. Maybe if it came
earlier or much later, it would have been better,"

"The way it was, I couldn't take advantage of it, even though I had a
Love-30 game shortly after I came back.

"It was a little bit of a rushed rain delay. Out, back on. Try to
speak to your team, try to relax, at the same time stay warm. It's not
like hectic, but it's not the usual rain delay you have.

"They told us they were going to try to get us back out there as quick
as possible."

A visibly frustrated Federer was also puzzled by Wimbledon chiefs'
decision to delay the post-match trophy presentation while the Centre
Court roof was closed due to more rain.

"It was awkward, you know, having to shut the roof. You go take a
shower. You come back for the ceremony," Federer said.

"I was like, Give it to Novak. It's his moment. Okay, fine. Let's go
take a shower, come back. So that was weird."

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Its called decline. Tell me please another player who has had

10 CONSECUTIVE SLAM WINNING YEARS.

So he now has a year where he doesn't win a slam and everyone is writing his obituary. There will never be another quite like him. If it's over, it's over. But if he has one more great run in him that will come when you've all written him off. Rafa doesn't follow the script.

Nobody saw 2013 coming. He only has to find 70% of his game and they ALL FALL DOWN!
beautifully stated! rafa's obituary has been written way too many times in the past only to be torn to shreds soon after.. his first off year after a decade of superhuman slam consistency and suddenly the usual suspects are chumping at the bit to start shoveling dirt on him.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I think Nadal has lost mental confidence due to physical problems. Time will tell if the physical problems are curable. Hopefully, he will regain his physical powers again.

·
6,482 Posts
I think that he is a bit out of it mentally either in terms of caring or in terms like focus. I hope he just hasn't hit a period where he's accomplished a lot and has lot the interest. if it's decline that's one thing, but it would be a bummer if he just starting fishing and golfing because he doesn't care about tennis

I've noticed that in some of Nadal's losses this year he seemed almost overly accepting of it- like it doesn't bother him as much anymore. old Nadal would be grumpy as fuck when he lost, because he super cared. I don't know. maybe that says something

hopefully he comes back hard mentally and physically for the US Open
The guy is a multi-millionaire that never has to work again.
He can afford to go fishing and play golf - and unlikely that will cause him any mental health issues.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I think Nadal has lost mental confidence due to physical problems. Time will tell if the physical problems are curable. Hopefully, he will regain his physical powers again.
Rafa will never be able to play like in 2008, 2010, and 2013. History says it's natural for a tennis player to decline physically once he hits 28. Expecting things against nature is insanity.

If Rafa wins 3 or 4 slams in the next 5 years, that would be a phenomenal achievement as a tennis player.

·
|
15,009 Posts
Rafa has the world eating out of the palm of his hand, completely obsessed and utterly fooled into declaring his funeral every 3 years :yeah:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts