Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will the French Open ideal circumstances help the floundering Nadal?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has all come down to this for the Clay GOAT..He will have to defend the last and most cheriched turf of his crumbling empire, albeit in the worst tennis shape of his life..Will the above conditions/setting make difference, tbh?

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
If he continues to play the same inconsistent level of tennis, good/great on one day and poor on the other day, no, the conditions will not matter, he will not win RG.

No clay titles this summer, and all losses in straight sets, what do his fans expect from him? No expectations here.

Rafa still has one week to go, and if he can find form (and that's what great players do) and bring his A game, then he will win RG.

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
It has all come down to this for the Clay GOAT..He will have to defend the last and most cheriched turf of his crumbling empire, albeit in the worst tennis shape of his life..Will the above conditions/setting make difference, tbh?
I'll try to be as unbiased as possible and avoid mentioning controversial instances. The biggest factors I think which have contributed to his dominance is:

1) The outrageous deal of space on centre court to defend
2) Best of Five (Player can't sustain level, Nadal improves as match goes on... etc.)
3) Daytime conditions

So OT, it will matter.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We will see, but I'm not sure that Nadal hasn't lost something in his stamina/fitness ..Last year Final he was cramping by 4th set and in Australia he unexpectedly fizzled after two sets in Smyzech match and that pattern continued in Rio..The 15 day weather forecast for this French Open doesn't show any rain/cold in the radar--mostly sunny..So, that's plus, i guess..

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
I'll try to be as unbiased as possible and avoid mentioning controversial instances. The biggest factors I think which have contributed to his dominance is:

1) The outrageous deal of space on centre court to defend
2) Best of Five (Player can't sustain level, Nadal improves as match goes on... etc.)
3) Daytime conditions

So OT, it will matter.

I agree with you that RG conditions matter and that's why Dull's game flourishes there.

But it's hard not to mention the controversial when it comes to Dull.
Not only he stays relatively as fresh as the Bo5 match progresses while his opponents wilt in the sun, but he also stays fresh as he goes deeper into slam rounds. I attribute it to off days between matches which enable him to errmmm... recharge his energy.

So yes, RG is different.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Only chance Nadal has is if it's 40 degrees Celsius when he plays Novak like it was last year. Novak is literally 1 normal day of weather away from being RG champion.

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
Only chance Nadal has is if it's 40 degrees Celsius when he plays Novak like it was last year. Novak is literally 1 normal day of weather away from being RG champion.
Weather costed Djokovic CYGS in 2012.

Circus with match suspension against Nadal at RG when Novak had all the momentum in the world.

First roof semifinal ever at Wimbledon vs Federer.

Forced to play semifinal and final at US Open without a day of rest.

·
Bunned!
3,050 Posts

Circus with match suspension against Nadal at RG when Novak had all the momentum in the world.

Novak was lucky it started raining actually, or are you forgetting how the first two sets went in normal conditions?

·
The Master
1,102 Posts

Lmao, and you call Fed fans delusional.
He won 1/4 slams in 2012, pal. :)

He has been supposed to win RG every year since 2011, too, only to fall short.

The Power and The Glory.

Amen.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Maybe it would mattered, if he would have forehand DTL. Against particular players without this shot he is doomed. That's the most important thing. Not balls, no hot conditions, not BO5, not PC, not stamina.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As good as Novak has been playing recently, the closer he comes to winning RG the more likely Chokeovic will appear.

Still not convinced he has the mental toughness to tough out Nadal at RG.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
As good as Novak has been playing recently, the closer he comes to winning RG the more likely Chokeovic will appear.

Still not convinced he has the mental toughness to tough out Nadal at RG.
If the Nadal-Djokovic match will happen at RG,the key is when will it happen.In the quarters i give Djokovic a better shot to beat Nadal compared to a final match.
If Nadal gets to the finals obviously he is playing well and all the pressure will be on Djokovic;in the quarters with no title on the line the pressure will be on Nadal.A loss there and top 10 is :wavey:

·
Premium Member
25,774 Posts
It has all come down to this for the Clay GOAT..He will have to defend the last and most cheriched turf of his crumbling empire
:lol: @his crumbling empire.
He is like Palpatine in Star Wars, he ruled over it long enough.
This year rebel forces, commanded by Clayovic and Clayray will blasting his empire to little pieces, as his self-confidence...

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If the Nadal-Djokovic match will happen at RG,the key is when will it happen.In the quarters i give Djokovic a better shot to beat Nadal compared to a final match.
If Nadal gets to the finals obviously he is playing well and all the pressure will be on Djokovic;in the quarters with no title on the line the pressure will be on Nadal.A loss there and top 10 is :wavey:
I AGREE! I also think it would be easier for Novak to beat Rafa in the quarters than a FO final, as Soderling showed in a earlier round.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I AGREE! I also think it would be easier for Novak to beat Rafa in the quarters than a FO final, as Soderling showed in a earlier round.
But beating Nadal in QF would take away some of the emotional energy needed to hoist the trophy. In the past few years he is much worse at playing against players he's pegged to win easily. Rome was just another example, struggles with not so great players that play at 110% and switches into another gear when playing top 5. Or maybe it's just Djokovic camp tactic...

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Never thought that RG Stadia was any advntage to him.

Bo5 and Hot days work well against Nole but first he has to reach Nole and second with the shape he is in , it might even be a disadvantage this time round.

Nadal has to try to change his game to remain relevant , he has to be more aggressive / low percent / flatter as he cant keep hitting it like Duracell bunny no longer !

In so doing, he may have to call it quits at RG and other slower stuff but may well get a look in at Wimby !

I say his chances at RG and Wimby are at par

·
Registered
15,791 Posts

don't forget the wind!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts