Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
People keep parroting if "Nadal makes it into Week 2 of Wimbledon" he will be a major favorite to win the whole thing..The reality is Nadal's has so declined in 2 key departments (Serve/ROS) that even surviving the "Upset Alert Week" he would is still not be good enough to take it to the best of the rest..

Nadal's movement would probably not suffer much on a ground Week 2 grass, but the the way he has lost his timing on return and inability to find a niche with his serve placement (2007-2011 Slice Serve + FH :sad:)will be his undoing that is if Dustin Brown is not waiting for him in R1 :lol:....el Tio has two weeks to find some magic :yeah:

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
He just made the last three Slam finals and won two of them.

Nadal serve and ROS looked pure shit even in Madrid and Rome, then what happened? Oh yes, he won the Roland Garros against Djokovic!
One of the best returners ever!

I'm actually surprised to see these thread every time.
Basing all this on a 250 match on grass when he was sucking big time even on clay.

Also, in his entire career, Nadal played well on pre-Wimbledon grass tournaments, ONCE.

·
Registered
218 Posts
OP has a point. It is still quite shocking how many returns Novak missed in the RG final on second serves alone. We'll see what happens in two weeks though :devil:

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He just made the last three Slam finals and won two of them.

Nadal serve and ROS looked pure shit even in Madrid and Rome, then what happened? Oh yes, he won the Roland Garros against Djokovic!
One of the best returners ever!

I'm actually surprised to see these thread every time.
Basing all this on a 250 match on grass when he was sucking big time even on clay.
Problem is these weaknesses will only be magnified on Grass..The only way I am currently seeing him making a deep run here is "WarriorDal" clutching out a bunch of 5-setters out of nowhere :lol:..He will have to be lucky with some claycourets early on, so at least that will give a rhythm..Also there is mental part where He becomes so antsy when someone is acing him to death..We'll see but it's not looking good..

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
More over-reactions.

Murray gets dumped out, people say nothing.

Nadal gets dumped out, people suddenly think we're back in 2006 where Nadal was limited to claycourts.

You guys are so fickle. Next Federer will win wimbledon and everyone will talk about how he's the best player on grass that's ever lived.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Serve was fine in RG. Bar a few tournaments here and there (namely USOpen 2010) it's never been more than a set-up weapon even on grass. ROS has been especially garbage for a few years I agree.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
He needs to serve faster. The high bouncing works on clay but not grass!

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Serve was fine in RG. Bar a few tournaments here and there (namely USOpen 2010) it's never been more than a set-up weapon even on grass. ROS has been especially garbage for a few years I agree.
He should go for the speed instead of spin now

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wimbledon is different ball game..Need the free points off it more so than at the French..It used to be the sneakily sliced serve (even second) followed by a bombing FH inside out.. Now i often brace for the DF..The days of him bringing out an ace on BPs are few and far between..

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Yeah mate..yeah..

You used to say the same thing before the RG, 'Djokovic will kill Nadal 2nd serve etc'.

Yeah..sure.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Let's not pretend his rivals don't have weaknesses too. In the semi finals onwards I'd make Nadal favourite against either Federer or (unfortunately) Muuary. Maybe I'd give Djokovic a slight edge in that particular match-up but they can't play until the final and it's Nole's least favourite surface.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Yes he is crap right now but so is everyone else, so it evens out.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Rafa was below par all year. he managed to elevate towards the end of RG as he should have done really. I think he has to allocate efforts wisely these days - like trying not to get injured in AO2015?
He should get into an invitational event before W. Not play 3 days after his regular RG win. he got the money for this Halle nonsense and I hope it is over.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
People keep parroting if "Nadal makes it into Week 2 of Wimbledon" he will be a major favorite to win the whole thing..The reality is Nadal's has so declined in 2 key departments (Serve/ROS) that even surviving the "Upset Alert Week" he would is still not be good enough to take it to the best of the rest..

Nadal's movement would probably not suffer much on a ground Week 2 grass, but the the way he has lost his timing on return and inability to find a niche with his serve placement (2007-2011 Slice Serve + FH :sad:)will be his undoing that is if Dustin Brown is not waiting for him in R1 :lol:....el Tio has two weeks to find some magic :yeah:
You again.

You were posting the same hysterical pish after Madrid and Rome.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
You again :facepalm:

Absolutely horrific play from Nadal in the second set..And that WTA serve in particular will be cruelly toyed with by guys like Ferrer and Djokovic..
You definitely know what you're talking about. :worship:

·
Registered
20,715 Posts
look what will most likely happen

R1 R. Dutra Silva (LL)
R2 Carreno Busta vs. Gimeno Traver
R3 grass becomes little less green and Tio is ready to face Bautista Agut
R4 semi green grass and Tio approves Fognini
QF It's time for another Nadal vs. Ferrer epic
SF Nadal is ready for another clay court semi against Murray
F In pursuit for eternity Tio brings one handed BH to the CC mud

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You again.

You were posting the same hysterical pish after Madrid and Rome.
Prove it..If by pinpointing the obvious and stopping the self-delusion even for one's favourite is hysteria (Nadal significant Clay slump), then I don't know what a cliff-jumping worrywart state would be..And now, as If Nadal is having the same equal margin on competition on grass as he does on Clay or as if Nadal is coming off Wimbledon title in 2013 that pre-tournment upset that does not warrant talking about the above worries, which are -surprise ! surprise!- true tennis realities for him...

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
look what will most likely happen

R1 R. Dutra Silva (LL)
R2 Carreno Busta vs. Gimeno Traver
R3 grass becomes little less green and Tio is ready to face Bautista Agut
R4 semi green grass and Tio approves Fognini
QF It's time for another Nadal vs. Ferrer epic
SF Nadal is ready for another clay court semi against Murray
F In pursuit for eternity Tio brings one handed BH to the CC mud
OHBH Estrella has a chance to upset Fog and advance to the 4th round IMO.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts