Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of his renowned qualities is/was his mental strength and clutch play on big points but after all he is only human. It would be fairly easy to include multiple Miami M1000's stretching back to 2005 as one of his infamous chokes but I'll list my top 3 and why.

1. Australian Open 2012 Final - In what was a very tight contest in every set bar the 3rd it was the obvious missed BH at 4-2 (30-15) in the 5th that swung the momentum back in Djokovic's way. Has Nadal made the easy put away he would have almost certainly gone on to secure the GSM and championship. Whilst Murray's choke in the SF was even bigger this was a bitter one to swallow as really Djokovic had no business winning USO 2011 or AO 2012

2. Wimbledon 2011 Final - Again really he had no business losing to Djokovic on grass. Nowhere near the level he was against Del Potro or Murray in earlier rounds for instance. He was 4-5 (40-15) in the first set then literally couldn't find a first serve and the rest is history. Despite the losses to Djokovic that year on HC and Clay I didn't think he'd spoon that final away.

3. Wimbledon 2007 Final - Whilst in 2006 Federer was untouchable pretty much anywhere and everywhere that wasn't clay it seemed Nadal had all the tools at his disposal to end his dominance on grass. Whilst he had a tough draw and the scheduling screwed him over it was disappointing not to see him take one of those TB's. Thankfully justice was served the following year but nonetheless another final he really ought to have one.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Disagreed with number 2. Nadal served amazingly that day like in US Open 2010 and still lost.

Wimbledon 2006 should also be up there since he was 5-4* 30-15 in the 2nd set and gave it away.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
One of his renowned qualities is/was his mental strength and clutch play on big points but after all he is only human. It would be fairly easy to include multiple Miami M1000's stretching back to 2005 as one of his infamous chokes but I'll list my top 3 and why.

1. Australian Open 2012 Final - In what was a very tight contest in every set bar the 3rd it was the obvious missed BH at 4-2 (30-15) in the 5th that swung the momentum back in Djokovic's way. Has Nadal made the easy put away he would have almost certainly gone on to secure the GSM and championship. Whilst Murray's choke in the SF was even bigger this was a bitter one to swallow as really Djokovic had no business winning USO 2011 or AO 2012

2. Wimbledon 2011 Final - Again really he had no business losing to Djokovic on grass. Nowhere near the level he was against Del Potro or Murray in earlier rounds for instance. He was 4-5 (40-15) in the first set then literally couldn't find a first serve and the rest is history. Despite the losses to Djokovic that year on HC and Clay I didn't think he'd spoon that final away.

3. Wimbledon 2007 Final - Whilst in 2006 Federer was untouchable pretty much anywhere and everywhere that wasn't clay it seemed Nadal had all the tools at his disposal to end his dominance on grass. Whilst he had a tough draw and the scheduling screwed him over it was disappointing not to see him take one of those TB's. Thankfully justice was served the following year but nonetheless another final he really ought to have one.

It's hard for that one to be considered a choke because he was practically blown off the court. On the other two, you have an argument.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Djokovic choked that 4th set away at AO. He should've finished Nadal in 4, not 5. Djokovic's own choking gave Nadal a chance in the first place.

And LOL at calling that loss to Djokovic at Wimbledon a choke. More like a well-deserved beatdown. Nadal had no chance.
In many ways a carbon copy of RG13 SF when Nadal should have won in 4 but choked the 4th and it went to a gruelling 5th in which he was a break down.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
How many times Nadal won after 0-2 in sets ?? It only proves he is not a fighter. When he is losing he is losing.
When he has a big phisical advantage over his opponent then he has a confidenсe - Nadal knows than he can outlast and outgrind

·
Registered
15,787 Posts
the only choke in Wimbledon 2011 was Annie Mugray gifting his "friend" Rafail after dominating the early stages of their semi final

that missed volley (or was it smash, I've erased the memory from my head) at around 2-0 in the second was disgustingly bad.

Reactions: JoWilly

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
Real choke was at Wimbledon-2007. Rafa was dominating during 4 sets. Frauderer was very lucky to steal 2 sets on tiebreaks. But the sweeter was Federer face after match in 2008. :)
AO-2012 wasn't a choke. Novak had to take it in 4, but allowed Rafa to return to match.
In 2011 Rafa choked almost all matches against Djokovic.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
How many times Nadal won after 0-2 in sets ?? It only proves he is not a fighter. When he is losing he is losing.
When he has a big phisical advantage over his opponent then he has a confidenсe - Nadal knows than he can outlast and outgrind
Nadal has won 3 times after being down 0-2 sets.

Djokovic only has won 4 times after being down 0-2 sets, so it's not like it's that much better.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Federer has 8 or 9 escapes after 0-2.
As for Djokovic he saved a lot of matches after MP's. I can't say the same about Nadal

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
Nadal has won 3 times after being down 0-2 sets.

Djokovic only has won 4 times after being down 0-2 sets, so it's not like it's that much better.
Nadal rarely came back from 0-2, because usually he wins 3-0 or 3-1.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
It's hard for that one to be considered a choke because he was practically blown off the court. On the other two, you have an argument.
I have to agree with that, and I'm a huge Nadal fan. Novak was playing like God in 2011. Even Rafa acknowledged that. And I will tell you Novak would have beaten anyone in history that year at Wimbledon. I've watched that match over a dozen times.

And that was the moment I realised Novak was going to be one of the greatest of ALLTIME. And over the next three years it scares me to think what he might achieve. I keep trying to formulate how his numbers might spread across the slams. I'm thinking it might look something like this by the end of 2018

AUSSIE OPEN 7
FRENCH OPEN 1---2
WIMBLEDON 5
US OPEN 2---3

I can't see Novak finishing with less than 15 now because he is becoming a more complete player by the month. And the competition just isn't out there now. Its going to be 15--17 slams by the end of 2018. I really believe that.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Australian 2012 Final obviously

only big final I can recall that he honestly choked

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
I have to agree with that, and I'm a huge Nadal fan. Novak was playing like God in 2011. Even Rafa acknowledged that. And I will tell you Novak would have beaten anyone in history that year at Wimbledon. I've watched that match over a dozen times.

And that was the moment I realised Novak was going to be one of the greatest of ALLTIME. And over the next three years it scares me to think what he might achieve. I keep trying to formulate how his numbers might spread across the slams. I'm thinking it might look something like this by the end of 2018

AUSSIE OPEN 7
FRENCH OPEN 1---2
WIMBLEDON 5
US OPEN 2---3

I can't see Novak finishing with less than 15 now because he is becoming a more complete player by the month. And the competition just isn't out there now. Its going to be 15--17 slams by the end of 2018. I really believe that.
you're being naive or haven't watched tennis very long

the odds Djokovic maintains his level for the next like 3 years is insanely unlikely, too much mileage. if you're expecting him to get like 2 slams on average for the next 4 seasons you're out of your mind

1 - 20 of 55 Posts