Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks wanted to clarify something about Nadal's two hander. Now for most two handers nowadays the power comes from the non dominant arm isn't it?? Like the left arm for a righty creates the power and the dominant (right) hand is for support for most players.

About Nadals' backhand i have heard contrasting opinions. Some say since he's a natural righty he generates most of this power with his right(non dominant) hand. Few guys recently have told me that Nadal actually generates most of the power of his backhand with his dominant left hand and the other just supports the stroke.

Which one do you think is true? Thanks :wavey:

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
certainly the right hand. He's playing this shot largely with the right hand leading and this is most easily observed when he plays it with an open stance, which is 30% of the time.

imo anyway

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
I'd say most of the power/spin comes from the right hand. When you see him hit ridiculous backhand passes way behind the baseline, that's all the right hand.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
certainly the right hand. He's playing this shot largely with the right hand leading and this is most easily observed when he plays it with an open stance, which is 30% of the time.

imo anyway

Yes i agree there. So aside from his unconventional technique, he uses roughly the same ratio of top and bottom hand to generate power like Djokovic and Murray?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
It's cc machine and DTL Moon balls to backhand, Watch Rome Final 2011 , Nole literally destroyed His backhand.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
He uses his right arm but his technique is ugly, like his entire game

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's cc machine and DTL Moon balls to backhand, Watch Rome Final 2011 , Nole literally destroyed His backhand.
That was absolute peak Nole m8. Usually Nadal's CC BH is quite a consistent shot and it compliments his game.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
One of Dull's signature shots is his crosscourt backhand push. He puts little pace on it, and focuses on the angle, to open up his forehand.

But yeah, his backhand is quite ugly and forced.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I think it depends on the player, but I'd argue that the power in a two-hander does not come from the non-dominant hand, rather from the dominant one. The non-dominant hand is used to get additional power from uncomfortable positions and add spin.

The unique thing about Nadal's backhand IMO is the role of the non-dominant hand, which is bigger than for most players. This enables him to get a lot of power and spin to the ball from uncomfortable positions, but on the other hand it can be technically vulnerable. For example his DTL backhand isn't as good as e.g. Djokovic's or Murray's. On the other hand, he can hit and does hit his backhand often from an open stance instead of a closed one, which can help him in some cases.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it depends on the player, but I'd argue that the power in a two-hander does not come from the non-dominant hand, rather from the dominant one. The non-dominant hand is used to get additional power from uncomfortable positions and add spin.

The unique thing about Nadal's backhand IMO is the role of the non-dominant hand, which is bigger than for most players. This enables him to get a lot of power and spin to the ball from uncomfortable positions, but on the other hand it can be technically vulnerable. For example his DTL backhand isn't as good as e.g. Djokovic's or Murray's. On the other hand, he can hit and does hit his backhand often from an open stance instead of a closed one, which can help him in some cases.
Interesting. So people really have different opinion about his backhand. To me its looks very right hand dominant actually. Which is why i created this thread to know opinions. Thnaks m8. :)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Probably his right hand is more important there. His BH is not a great offensive waepon, but fantastic in defense and a along with his movement, allows him to keep in the rally and wait for his chance to attack with his FH.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
That was absolute peak Nole m8. Usually Nadal's CC BH is quite a consistent shot and it compliments his game.
There are few tricks to exploit it. Think seriously about this-

players with forehand with slightly grinding ability, capable of hitting 4-5 forehands CC with considerable amount of topspin ( No flat ) Nadal frustrates.

Djokovic, Murray, Ferrer always do that.

But Federer refuses to grind hits the Forehand DTL, his forehand is striking shot not rally shot. he struggles easily as he can't direct 5-6 straight forehands to backhand with topspin as his game isn't about pushing and abusing

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are few tricks to exploit it. Think seriously about this-

players with forehand with slightly grinding ability, capable of hitting 4-5 forehands CC with considerable amount of topspin ( No flat ) Nadal frustrates.

Djokovic, Murray, Ferrer always do that.

But Federer refuses to grind hits the Forehand DTL, his forehand is striking shot not rally shot. he struggles easily as he can't direct 5-6 straight forehands to backhand with topspin as his game isn't about pushing and abusing
Donno about Murray man but yes Djoko and Ferru has done this i agree. I think Wawrinka also did this well in the AO final by hitting deep CC FHs to Nadals backhand again and again till Nadal tried to go DTH and made an error.

Also you are right about Federer. Aside from the match up disadvantage, Federer has also been very stubborn to change his gameplan against Nadal, he goes with his usual first strike tennis and Nadal just doesn't let him. Nadal reaches Federer's DTL forehand and redirects a loopy forehand to Fed's one hander and the point gets restarted.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Donno about Murray man but yes Djoko and Ferru has done this i agree. I think Wawrinka also did this well in the AO final by hitting deep CC FHs to Nadals backhand again and again till Nadal tried to go DTH and made an error.

Also you are right about Federer. Aside from the match up disadvantage, Federer has also been very stubborn to change his gameplan against Nadal, he goes with his usual first strike tennis and Nadal just doesn't let him. Nadal reaches Federer's DTL forehand and redirects a loopy forehand to Fed's one hander and the point gets restarted.
But Federer's forehand vastly declined in 2007, he cannot produce that power and depth on consistent basis from forehand as his striking method changed( Less forehand swing ). From 2007 he is just dependent on accuracy rather than power. and great wrist.
Ferrer, Djokovic, Stan capable of that with great forehand swing.

Can you share your opinion about how Fed forehand declined since 2007? I'm interested

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But Federer's forehand vastly declined in 2007, he cannot produce that power and depth on consistent basis from forehand as his striking method changed( Less forehand swing ). From 2007 he is just dependent on accuracy rather than power.

Ferrer, Djokovic, Stan capable of that with great forehand swing.

Can you share your opinion about how Fed forehand declined since 2007? I'm interested
Yes Fed has obviously lost his power. I think back in 08 when Fed hired Higueras, he did something to his FH technique(probably added more spin) and his forehand has never been the same since then.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Interesting. So people really have different opinion about his backhand. To me its looks very right hand dominant actually. Which is why i created this thread to know opinions. Thnaks m8. :)
The non-dominant hand would be his right hand, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
It's funny you guys are talking about Fed's unwillingness to hit multiple FHs in a rally to Nadal's backhand. What's funny about that is whenever he has success against Rafa (WTF 10 and 11, IW 2012, Madrid 09, etc), he does so by employing that strategy - hit to the backhand constantly until he can open up the court (kind of what Rafa does well to Fed). But too often he gets impatient and wants to attack right away which plays right into Nadal's game.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's funny you guys are talking about Fed's unwillingness to hit multiple FHs in a rally to Nadal's backhand. What's funny about that is whenever he has success against Rafa (WTF 10 and 11, IW 2012, Madrid 09, etc), he does so by employing that strategy - hit to the backhand constantly until he can open up the court (kind of what Rafa does well to Fed). But too often he gets impatient and wants to attack right away which plays right into Nadal's game.
The WTF court allows Fed to play his natural game actually so this strategy is not as important. But yes the IW match is for me the best match Fed played tactically against Nadal and he exactly executed the game we are talking about.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts