Mens Tennis Forums banner

Nadal's 2013: overrated?

• Yes, there is a reason some people even thought Novak had a better year!

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • No, it is clearly one of the best two slam seasons!

Votes: 64 51.6%
  • Can't judge it because he didn't face Slamray

Votes: 10 8.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serious question here, do you guys think it is the most overrated year? When the year was over there were even a few Nadal fans trying to say it was one of the best two slam seasons ever? Really? 2 slams and a first round exit to an injured Darcis? Let's face it, the field was bad with mental midget Djoko, worst ever Fed and Nadal not having to face the new and improved Slamray.

What does everyone think? Am I being harsh? Is it one of the best two slam seasons ever? I would like genuine opinions and no trolling or fan wars please, keep it light :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
your back :D

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
Benefited from a weak year. Murray being a chode and having the success of Wimbledon get over his head, Djokovic in ruins [he still is] and Fraud having an outlier in terms of results.

Not too unlike 2010 where again Nadal took advantage of a transitional year/weak year.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am indeed and I hope people answer this thread seriously and don't troll. I don't want biased posting from Nadal fans, I want them and everyone else to say if they genuinely think it is one of the best 2 slam years or not. The first round loss to Darcis definitely hurts it in my opinion. He achieved a lot but when you remember 2 set slam seasons like McEnrooe's I don't think it's up there.

Yes GOAT=Fed, the competition was undeniably weak in 2010 too but he did win 3 slams so it's still better than 2013 clearly, but not one of the greatest ever years numbers wise.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
It wasn't a pretty year. Nadal won the USO playing horrible tennis, it was just that everyone he faced was somehow worse. Basically it was a reminder of how terrible tennis can be without Nolandy playing well...

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
I'm the furthest thing from a Nadal fan, but Nadal was fantastic last summer. Some of the best hard court tennis in his career. No, not overrated.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your thoughts guys :) I thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss.

·
23,063 Posts
Personally he was quite vulnerable last year especially on clay and he's usual scrappy self (a lot more scrappier than this year) really pushed him the wins. I agree that he was impressive during the US Open Series season, with Djokovic being weirdly out of sorts that time. Djokovic was dominant in regular instances but his losses have been a little freaky.

·
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
11,399 Posts
Of course it is.

Fluked IW, tired Delpo who took out Novak and Murray.
Fluked Madrid, Ferrer had a sitter to have 2 MPs.
Fluked Rome, Gulbis match.
Fluked RG, 1 in a million chance and he got it of lucking out the semis.
In Cincinnati faced a back-broken, out of confidence Federer and then some mugs.
In the USo Novak handed him the finals.

So yeah, of course it's an overrated year. Glad that he kept the 2103 form this year because many of the flukes he got in 2013 won't happen this year though he already miraculously won the challenger field Rio de Janeiro.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
It was a strange year wasn't it? For the most part he was subpar. Even in his most dominant performances, e.g. Montreal & USO final - he capitalised on mental clownery.

Everything seemed to go his way... except Wimbledon, but Dull is not really any good on this kind of grass these days.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JoWilly topic.
Well, yes, I started the topic. Even some of the more intellectually challenged on this board could work that out ;)

Seriously, what is your answer? What are your thoughts on this topic? I want a civilised debate here.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Nadal had no pressure in 2013, that's why he did as well as he did, anything he did successful OUTSIDE OF A CLAYCOURT, WAS A BONUS. That is the mentality he had and why he was so free and loose to being aggressive and successfully so. He was riding off the momentum he had from coming through that 5th set at the french open, he unfortunately did get inside Novak's head and squeeezed him out in Cinci and when Novak was prepared and game for action, he mentally collapsed thiem style, after squandering somany chances. Essentially, Djoker choked the US Open away, anyone with a sense of reality knows this.

Now he has all these points to defend, no momentum to ride off and player's improving their games.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
It was overrated

1 - 20 of 162 Posts