Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
justice for all
16,221 Posts
I think players actually do enjoy those kind of prizes more than we think they do.

Of course they don't have as much value as slam trophies for example but they are the ultimate acknowledgement of not just their level of tennis but other features of them as athletes and humans.

I agree more diversity in terms who gets those trophies would be welcome (cause now they usually give them to the best known players) but I disagree they are useless and should be abolished.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Might as well scrap this award if it’s just gonna give it to the most popular players of all time instead of those that actually deserve it.
Well, this one is voted by the players. To me, it only shows the vast majority of them share the same opinion with fans. Federer and Nadal are more than just tennis.

If I'd ask who was the last player to win this award before Fedal entered the arena I think a lot of people have to look it up. So do I. Paradorn Srichaphan in 2004. Nadal equalising Rafter btw.

Reactions: Cloren

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
congrats to Rafa well earned, very classy on tour as always

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I think players actually do enjoy those kind of prizes more than we think they do.

Of course they don't have as much value as slam trophies for example but they are the ultimate acknowledgement of not just their level of tennis but other features of them as athletes and humans.

I agree more diversity in terms who gets those trophies would be welcome (cause now they usually give them to the best known players) but I disagree they are useless and should be abolished.

The thing is, there's almost no effort made by the ATP to explain how such awards are given and tabulated or even how nominees come to be nominated. We never see numbers, hear about nomination lists or are given even a fig-leaf of an idea how they arrive at these winners. Sure, it's not the most important 'election' in the world but still...

However I am mystified as to why certain posters find the process problematic now that a player they perhaps don't particularly like has won one again as opposed to when it was won by a player they favor.

I have the general impression that both Nadal and Federer are both pretty well liked on tour and regarded to be fair play kind of guys as I hear this from people I know who interact with the pros regularly. Nonetheless the whole set up for these awards just screams PR agency campaign.

·
Premium Member
21,466 Posts
However I am mystified as to why certain posters find the process problematic now that a player they perhaps don't particularly like has won one again as opposed to when it was won by a player they favor.
Unless they are a fan of Fedal, the last time an active "player they favor" won was: never. :D

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Might as well scrap this award if it’s just gonna give it to the most popular players of all time instead of those that actually deserve it.

Rafaole tards saying it doesn’t matter yet were whining when Federer won the fan award, especially Nadal fans who thought he had a chance to win the [fan favorite] award this year. The salt is real
These awards are all popularity based and built around PR campaigns. But that was true long before Nadal won and I am curious to know if you were pointing this out when Roger was winning all the sportsmanship awards too or is this a case of 'the salt is real' for you?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Unless they are a fan of Fedal, the last time an active "player they favor" won was: never. :D
I was being diplomatic in how I phrased that but yes...when it's Federer winning the award, the largest fanbase on here historically has nothing but cheers. When it's Nadal, posters like Cloren suddenly discover that it's a popularity contest/PR campaign and laregly bereft of meaning.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
That's really not much of an article. We might as well have an article which says 'Nadal attacked by random unnamed posters on MTF after winning award'
I will never understand this. Nadal is the worst example for fair sport.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I will never understand this. Nadal is the worst example for fair sport.
Na, he's not. Whatever the value of this award is aside, Nadal is widely admired by his peers who are unlikely to widely admire 'the worst example for fair sport'

This should be a clue that you're missing something and not terribly fair-minded on this topic.

·
justice for all
16,221 Posts
That's really not much of an article. We might as well have an article which says 'Nadal attacked by random unnamed posters on MTF after winning award'
I mean all of them top players are all the time attacked by random nerds in social media. That's not exactly breaking news, is it?

·
Registered
22,055 Posts
These awards are all popularity based and built around PR campaigns. But that was true long before Nadal won and I am curious to know if you were pointing this out when Roger was winning all the sportsmanship awards too or is this a case of 'the salt is real' for you?
For sportsmanship yeah, but I never had an issue with fan award

1 - 20 of 60 Posts