Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
By far the toughest Slam to win..The mental/physical toll is so excruciating like in no other Slam,IMO....Massive favorites like Coria and Ferrero in his first attempt in 2002 wilting at the last hurdle...Even the great Federer was on verge of bottling it in 2009...And now Djokovic after having been cleaning up the tour since October and disposing of Nadal still can't close the deal..

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, who cares today. I've been waiting for him to exit stage left for 10 years. Leave this day Nadal-free.
I agree, but it is concomitant talk..It definitely speak volume about Stan and the mental/tactical fortitude Magnus Norman drilled into him..This one is more impressive than AO..

·
Banned
923 Posts
I don't agree. It's impressive but he's never faced the caliber of player as Peakwrinka.

Federer and Djokovic are just too mentally weak on clay. Kuerten, Wawrinka, etc would have beaten Nadal at their peaks.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I don't agree. It's impressive but he's never faced the caliber of player as Peakwrinka.

Federer and Djokovic are just too mentally weak on clay. Kuerten, Wawrinka, etc would have beaten Nadal at their peaks.
Watch Rome 2006 Final.

Stanimal was amazing today though, I agree. But peak clay Federer was a beast. Anyone who could give Nadal a run for his money in 2006/2007 had to be a beast.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts

Yes, definitely... All those years when Nadal dominated tennis on clay, he was challenged only by mugs. Now, suddenly, few days after Nadal's loss, a new clay monster arises.....seems legit.
What a lucky guy who didn't faced any formidable opponent on clay for 10 years :):):)

Now, seriously. Peak Federer or peak Djokovic are pretty tough opponents, without Nadal they both would be multiple RG champions.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Watch Rome 2006 Final.

Stanimal was amazing today though, I agree. But peak clay Federer was a beast. Anyone who could give Nadal a run for his money in 2006/2007 had to be a beast.
You think I don't know about that final? That final illustrates exactly what I was saying, that Fed doesn't have the mental strength to beat Nadal at RG.

Hell, in 2004 he lost to practically retired Kuerten.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
You think I don't know about that final? That final illustrates exactly what I was saying, that Fed doesn't have the mental strength to beat Nadal at RG.

Hell, in 2004 he lost to practically retired Kuerten.
Didn't he obliterate Kuerten in 2002 or something? Also Coria IIRC but my memory may be failing me. I think peak for peak Federer wasn't far off Kuerten on clay. Kuerten never faced anyone as good as Nadal...

·
|
15,485 Posts
Nadal likes pacey courts more and more as he gets older, less suited to clay.
Needs to hit through his opponents because the long rallies suit him less.
He's more suited to the US Open these days (and he's currently on a 17 match winning streak in US Summer events).

·
Registered
623 Posts
Stan might've beaten an in-form Nadal today. But to all you Nadal detractors: fuck you. Nine slams at a single GS is epic, no matter what your angle.

·
|
15,485 Posts
Nadal was so lightening quick in 2005-2008 that he'd make today's Wawrinka play a lot more shots.
Peak Djokovic is not even remotely close to peak Nadal.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Didn't he obliterate Kuerten in 2002 or something? Also Coria IIRC but my memory may be failing me. I think peak for peak Federer wasn't far off Kuerten on clay. Kuerten never faced anyone as good as Nadal...
2002 was the year Guga's injury troubles began, he was never the same after that.

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
A guy winning a slam 9 times (most of any player at any slam) is a great achievement? This is the kind of unique, insightful analysis that we'll remember from MTF.

·
Registered
19,461 Posts
By far the toughest Slam to win..The mental/physical toll is so excruciating like in no other Slam,IMO....Massive favorites like Coria and Ferrero in his first attempt in 2002 wilting at the last hurdle...Even the great Federer was on verge of bottling it in 2009...And now Djokovic after having been cleaning up the tour since October and disposing of Nadal still can't close the deal..
Congrats for being a tard of the player who had the most difficult clay matchup for all players 2005-08, 2010-14.
So easy to win with that matchup, you know...

Other clay greats won RG not by their matchup, but mainly their clay skills: Borg, Lendl, Wilander, Kuerten.

Minor clay greats could only vulture 1 win: recently Costa, Gaudio, Federer.

Any more questions? No need to mystify this slam. The physically most demanding: yes. Any other aspect is some malarkey by Nadaltards and false Nadal pundits.

·
Registered
19,461 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Agree that this one seems to be the toughest for this generation of players. Says a lot about Stan- even w.out beating Rafa here, he proved his worth and jumped to another elechon of player! The fact that in the last month he has beaten Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic on clay is just as impressive as him winner ng the French Open.

Stan The Man!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts