Reactions: Secondeuce

·
Registered
767 Posts
does he know it's on grass now ?

·
Premium Member
8,678 Posts
He is trying to make sure that he does well at Wimbledon. Good on him.

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
He can easily play this because he'll have about a week's rest between RG and this tournament ;)

Nadal's playing Queens in the next week

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Trying to give himself plenty of matches on the surface before Wimbledon. Good decision.

·
Registered
14,480 Posts
Trying to give himself plenty of matches on the surface before Wimbledon. Good decision.

Playing both Stuttgart and Queens directly after RG is simply dumb scheduling.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
He can easily play this because he'll have about a week's rest between RG and this tournament ;)

Nadal's playing Queens in the next week
No, there's not a week's rest. RG ends on June 7th, Stuttgart starts on June 8th.

Rafa probably wants to do things differently to do well at Wimbledon. What should he do? Go back to Mallorca and practice on clay and hard courts before Queens and Wimby?

If he does well at Wimbledon, we can say it's a good move. If he does not, we can come back here and say it's a dumb move. :lol: We are the couch potato tennis experts, the armchair critics, the keyboard analysts, and we are everything. We can say whatever we want. :lol:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
He knows he won't make the 2nd week of RG

·
Banned
923 Posts
So last few years he's been complaining about not enough rest for Wimbledon and now when they add an extra week he takes a tournament :haha: fucking hypocrite

No matter though, he'll be losing early at RG and then taking another 7 month layoff :haha:

Reactions: Secondeuce

·
Registered
394 Posts
Seems some of you are overlooking one thing.. It's not poor scheduling at all, in recent years he bows out in the early rounds at grass warmup events. playing at Stuttgart gives him a second chance, should the likely event occur again.

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
It's not that much of a surprise that Rafa plays Stuttgart.
Uncle Toni is head of their project "The Making of a Wimbledon Champion" which was started 3 years ago.

Last year Toni commented about a possible start of Rafa:

Toni Nadal, uncle and head-coach of 14-times Grand-Slam Champion Rafael Nadal, said at a press conference on Friday that the start at the MercedesCup of his nephew in 2015 is a realistic chance. “To prepare for Wimbledon, we need those tournaments with similar conditions. The courts here in Stuttgart are very close to the quality at Wimbledon. I´ll tell Rafael about these opportunities”.

Tournament direct Edwin Weindorfer was happy about the complements but added that “it is a good sign if someone like Toni Nadal recommends the MercedesCup to other top players, but we need to keep in mind that there is a financial parameter besides the sportive one”. We can all be curious if the second best player in the world and two-times MercedesCup champion Rafael Nadal comes back in 2015 to conquer his third Stuttgart title – this time on grass.

Toni Nadal was leading the youth development project “The Making of a Wimbledon Champion” for the second time. Toni Nadal was happy about the performances of the talents, but also warned, that “talent alone is not enough to be a Wimbledon Champion – it´s a long walk”. The star coach was also happy about the performance of 17-year-old German Alexander Zverev and said “he has all chances for a great career, but still needs to work hard”.
Source: http://www.mercedescup.de/ENG/News/News/StartofRafaelNadalin2015ispossible/

Rafa says the following about playing in Stuttgart:

"I'm very happy playing in Stuttgart again. I always felt well there. When I played there the last time the tournament was played on clay and was therefore a different even. Now the tournament will be played on grass and I'm looking forward playing soon in Stuttgart and Germany again. After my two titles here on clay it is of course a big ambition to win it also on grass."

German source:

http://www.mercedescup.de/DE/News/News/RafaelNadalistderTopstarbeimMercedesCup/

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
No, there's not a week's rest. RG ends on June 7th, Stuttgart starts on June 8th.

Rafa probably wants to do things differently to do well at Wimbledon. What should he do? Go back to Mallorca and practice on clay and hard courts before Queens and Wimby?

If he does well at Wimbledon, we can say it's a good move. If he does not, we can come back here and say it's a dumb move. :lol: We are the couch potato tennis experts, the armchair critics, the keyboard analysts, and we are everything. We can say whatever we want. :lol:
I even added the wink to indicate that I was implying that Nadal is losing in the first week of RG

1 - 20 of 35 Posts