Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nadal has left Indian Wells to fly back to Spain. According to new Coronavirus guidelines in Florida, all incoming international travelers to the state must self isolate for fourteen days.

I highly doubt that there will even be a tournament, but Nadal will not be competing in any event. This is why a large number of foreign players are remaining in Indian Wells.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Nadal has left Indian Wells to fly back to Spain. According to new Coronavirus guidelines in Florida, all incoming international travelers to the state must self isolate for fourteen days.

i highly doubt that there will even be a tournament, but Nadal will not be competing in any event. This is why a large number of foreign players are remaining in Indian Wells.
Will be!!! Only IW cancel (by one rich men). Hehe)))

·
Registered
178 Posts
Interesting. Where did you read he's gone back to Spain? With the CDC guidelines then yeah, any player who leaves the country now loses the chance to go into 14-day self-isolation and thus - technically - should not compete in Miami Open. I don't think the advisory is enforceable, though, and wouldn't be surprised if players don't take it seriously (although that would reflect very poorly on them). I wonder why he made this decision to return to Spain -- does he think the tournament will just end up being cancelled, or did he not know the advisory, or is he planning on ignoring it? He doesn't seem like one who would flout authority in this kind of situation. He always says he trusts the experts in their respective fields...

International Travel Advisory

The Florida Department of Health is advising all individuals who have traveled internationally to follow the new CDC guidelines, summarized below:

• Level 3: Mandatory 14-day self-isolation and practice social distancing upon return to the United States. Social distancing includes avoiding going out in public and close personal interactions. If you become symptomatic, immediately self-isolate and contact your county health department or health care provider.
  • Level 2 and Cruises: Monitor your health and limit interactions with others for 14 days after returning to the United States. If you become symptomatic, immediately self-isolate and contact your county health department or health care provider.
Source

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s on ESPN news that he is flying back to Spain. Other foreign players, like Karolina Pliskova, are remaining in Indian Wells for the week.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
He knew he was never going to win Miami because of his poor record against top 10 players on hc so got out of there asap.

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
This is terrible news, Rafa is supposed to lose the 2020 Miami F, to keep the pattern alive: 2005, 2008, 2011, 2014, 2017, and 2020 now in serious doubt!!

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Good call. Rafa can now spend his time with Xisca and his family. What else is he supposed to do? Sit at Indian Wells and bite his nails for a couple of weeks for nothing without being totally sure if Miami will happen or not.

Screw Miami, relax for a bit at home, and focus on much more important and upcoming European clay season. He ain't missing out on anything, Miami or no Miami.

·
Registered
61 Posts
He knew he was never going to win Miami because of his poor record against top 10 players on hc so got out of there asap.
US open is on hard court. Nadal King there and has beaten the very best there.

The amount of people who think Us Open is on clay is astonishing. Yes it used to be about 50 years ago but it is not anymore.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good call. Rafa can now spend his time with Xisca and his family. What else is he supposed to do? Sit at Indian Wells and bite his nails for a couple of weeks for nothing without being totally sure if Miami will happen or not.

Screw Miami, relax for a bit at home, and focus on much more important and upcoming European clay season. He ain't missing out on anything, Miami or no Miami.
Nadal was never going to Miami. I fail to understand why people thought he would go when the clay court swing is upcoming and his end game is no.20.

I am deeply critical of IW cancelling the event. Ridiculous. I thought Nadal would win the event way he is playing. But what has happened is the biggest gift of all time to Nadal. Hard courts trouble his knees and had he won IW there was a risk he may go into the clay court swing jaded.

He now has 3 weeks extra to prepare on clay. He should now be unstoppable in Paris. We may see a return to his pre-2011 clay court days.

Everything you say is spot on.

·
Your visions will happen
48,653 Posts
Well with only 9 days between Miami final and MC 1st round, he has to focus on clay. Even if Miami is cancelled, Rafa has a head start for the clay season, which I feel will be limited to no crowd

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Rafa will NOT win MC, B, M, R, AND the FO!! I just wanted to point out he will NOT sweep the clay season and win all 5 events in 2020...

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Meanwhile, Djokovic, Wawrinka and the Serbs chillin’ in Beverly Hills.

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
Well with only 9 days between Miami final and MC 1st round, he has to focus on clay. Even if Miami is cancelled, Rafa has a head start for the clay season, which I feel will be limited to no crowd
I think you are right, Nadal as he often did in the past, does not want to train and adapt hs game to a low bounce surface (Acapulco and IW were high bounce) when Clay is about to begin.

That said and even if I was someone who said Tennis will go on, I am now afraid some governements are now jeopardized by epidemic. And I am not even sure Barcelona Madrid and Roma can happen considering they already postponed or cancelled most sports events.
French Governement had a different attitude so far but it is local election time on Sunday and some people from Governement are ill so things may change.

One more gloomy thing is that some countries that are in their Summertime like Australia or Brazil have now 107 and 34 people infected respectively what should mean, Summer conditions do not kill this virus (thinkng all those people were infected abroad sounds weird).

Some officials are thinking about Olympics postponed.

That said to calm people down, and even if it is SUPER SAD, it is far from being the end of Humanity as well as with Chinese stats, based on 33 French Death, 23 were over 75 y.o. and other 10 were with pre existant severe diseases combinated (immunodepression, heart or lung issues overweigh over 64 y.o.).
Humanity survived Spanish flu which killed 75 million people (and not only older ones) so we will survive this one.
Which means we can live with it, even if a vaccine is not found.

·
justice for all
15,293 Posts
Very wise move by Rafa if true especially in his position. He should focus fully on clay now - why waste time sticking around in the US if it's not even sure (or it's unlikely in fact) Miami will be played?

·
Registered
213 Posts

It seems like that the linked page above is the latest version.
The self-isolation clause only applies to the travelers from Level 3 or 2 countries.
Spain is not a Level 3 or 2 country.

Level 3 countries are China, South Korea, Italy, Iran.
The only Level 2 country is Japan.

I guess Nadal won't play Miami Open anyway.

·
Banned
11,640 Posts
Miami will be held guys. Surprised that Nadal flew back, hopefully it is not true. If so yeah, he will have to quarantine himself for quite some time from the moment his arrival in Florida.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
One more gloomy thing is that some countries that are in their Summertime like Australia or Brazil have now 107 and 34 people infected respectively what should mean, Summer conditions do not kill this virus (thinkng all those people were infected abroad sounds weird).
There's definitely been local transmission in Australia but maybe it's still not quite as contagious in warm weather (or at least that's what I'm hoping). The weather here will start to cool down here over the next month or so so hopefully it's under control before then.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts