Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
even though Novak is taking over in H2H matchups Rafa is much better against the NextGen players. There are four young players who won big titles - Medvedev, Zverev, Khachanov, and Tsitsipas.

Against those guys collectively,

Nadal is 20-2
Novak is 11-7

Of course Nadal also a slam lead of 3 which is fairly large to overcome easily.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Over the years there have been so many twists and turns in the race for the most slams, that I don't feel confident in making predictions on who will finish with the most.

·
justice for all
16,780 Posts
That's the most likely scenario.

3 slams difference is a huge gap when they are 32-33 soon to become 34 years old. And it's likely Nadal might add to his tally a slam or two.

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
I doubt Djokovic will end up with more slams than Nadal. Nadal leads 19-16 and will probs win another RG whereas I don’t see Novak winning a slam after this years AO.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Over the years there have been so many twists and turns in the race for the most slams, that I don't feel confident in making predictions on who will finish with the most.
in a way though there actually haven’t, not yet anyway. The order has been the same from the start - Federer, Nadal, Djokovic

the fact people were quick to either write players off prematurely or get ahead of themselves and predict unseen domination, that’s another story

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
It is very likely that Nadal will be ahead of Djokovic in the slam race at the end, but mainly because he is ahead by 3 now.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Novak is a few slams behind mainly because he's younger than his rivals. At his age Fedal had 17 slams (so just one more than Novak).
Obviously 3 slam deficit to Nadal is significant and it's very uncertain whether he'll overcome it (I would give him maybe 40 percent).

·
Registered
323 Posts
I was thinking about this the other day. I think it has to do with Nadal just not being like any other player. The leftyness, the spin. Relentless fight. It takes any player time to get use to his game. He was leading his h2h with Djokovic by miles until he started to figure Nadal out same with Federer to an extent. If Djokovic doesn’t catch Nadal/Federer it will be because of Next Gen.

·
Registered
19,480 Posts
I doubt Djokovic will end up with more slams than Nadal. Nadal leads 19-16 and will probs win another RG whereas I don’t see Novak winning a slam after this years AO.
I also don't see any realistic chance for the moonballer to add any slams after this year's RG.

Djokovic has still time and has chances at 3 slams: AO, WB + USO, unless he gets injured like last Sept.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't think Djokovic will end up overtaking either Nadal in the slam race.

A number of factors have contributed to Djokovic being behind Nadal in the slam race:
  • Lost a total of 4 years either underperforming or dealing with injury (2009, 2010, Wimbledon 2016 to French Open 2018)
  • Didn't reach a slam final for 10 consecutive slams from 2008 French Open to 2010 Wimbledon
  • Unable to win more than 1 slam in each year in 2012, 2013, 2014 - credit to Nadal (3 finals, 1 SF), Murray (2 finals), Federer (1 SF) and Wawrinka (1 QF) for outplaying Djokovic in the slam matches that he lost during 2012-14
  • As OP mentioned, Djokovic has a worse W/L record against NextGen compared to Nadal

1 - 20 of 31 Posts