Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Will surpass Sampras

Votes: 19 17.6%
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nadal has just passed Agassi at 102 weeks at #1. He is within striking distance of Borg at 109. Then it gets harder. McEnroe at 170, Connors at 268, Lendl at 270, Olderer at 285 and Sampras at 286.

Can Nadal surpass Sampras at weeks #1?

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
A question.
Why do you call him Olderer and you don't call the other ones?
I mean, i'm pretty sure they're older than Roger.
Oldorg, Oldenroe, Oldonnors, Oldendl, Oldampras and YoungPerfectExcelentMagicIdolGenius Rafito.

BTW, option 2.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A question.
Why do you call him Olderer and you don't call the other ones?
I mean, i'm pretty sure they're older than Roger.
Oldorg, Oldenroe, Oldonnors, Oldendl, Oldampras and YoungPerfectExcelentMagicIdolGenius Rafito.

BTW, option 2.
Everyone knows that I always called him Olderer. It's not meant to be insulting, I just like that nickname.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Nadal has just passed Agassi at 102 weeks at #1. He is within striking distance of Borg at 109. Then it gets harder. McEnroe at 170, Connors at 268, Lendl at 270, Olderer at 285 and Sampras at 286.

Can Nadal surpass Sampras at weeks #1?
As far as I am concerned, Nadal stopped being #1 when he gave away position of dominance in his relationship with Djokovic. As a relationship expert, I can tell you, ... never a good thing. :devil:

·
Banned
858 Posts
(Once he passes Borg in weeks he should just focus on winning 3 slams per year, save energy during the other events except for Monte Carlo and let Wozdjokovic win the rest)

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Where is the option: "Will not surpass Borg" I mean if he doesn't win Wimbledon Djokovic will take over and maybe hold the nr1 for a long time. Nadal will likely never get it back again. I think that is the most probable scenario. I could see Djokovic holding it for a few years straight and then he will be replaced by someone else than Nadal.

Do people seriously think Nadal even can be in the top3 at age 28-29 somewhere?. I give that a big no. He relies too much on speed and movement and his knees are already those of a 30 year old. He was very young when he broke through and has maybe 1-2 years left in him of top1-2 tennis then its gonna be downhill.

If not? Fine then he surprises me but it is the most realistic scenario. That means that all hope of passing guys like Connors, Lendl, Federer, Sampras is gone already. Those guys could play great tennis late in their career. Rafa will probably see a Hewitt like decline but not as serious. He must fight to survive in the top10 (instead of the top100) but surviving in the top10 must be Oldals goal, he can forget about #1 as Oldal

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
So now you rafa-fans count on Old Fed to save Nadals #1 from evil Djokovic? Hate to break it to you but Federer will be drawn in Rafas half just as often as Djoko's if we count on Rafa and Novak to hold 1-2. So he can't save Nadal.

Nadal will have to do something vs Djokovic himself or count on all off Federer/Murray/Soderling/Del Potro to be able to save him from Djokovic finals. To be fair Djokovic has looked great vs everyone including Federer (especially on hardcourt) so Nadal will have to step it up to keep #1. It's gonna be very interesting

·
Banned
858 Posts
Where is the option: "Will not surpass Borg" I mean if he doesn't win Wimbledon Djokovic will take over and maybe hold the nr1 for a long time. Nadal will likely never get it back again. I think that is the most probable scenario. I could see Djokovic holding it for a few years straight and then he will be replaced by someone else than Nadal.
(Djokovic won't even be in the top 2 next year. He won't come close to defending his points in the first half of next year, Rafa and Federer will be top 2, especially now that Federer has reclaimed a mental edge over Djokovic.

Federer vs Djokovic reminds me of Sampras vs Agassi. Agassi would have some great wins over Sampras [including an early meeting at Roland Garros, and Australian Open meetings in 1995 and 2000, and several times in non-slams] but ultimately Sampras would own him all the way. This is the problem Djokovic faces for the rest of this year and the first half of next year. He has surrendered the temporary upper hand once again to Federer, and now he will have to figure out a way to turn it around and beat the in-form Federer at the US Open and Australian Open. From what we saw at Roland Garros, Federer can take Djokovic's best shots and in the end cruise through to the world of Fedal territory)

·
Banned
858 Posts
So now you rafa-fans count on Old Fed to save Nadals #1 from evil Djokovic? Hate to break it to you but Federer will be drawn in Rafas half just as often as Djoko's if we count on Rafa and Novak to hold 1-2. So he can't save Nadal.

Nadal will have to do something vs Djokovic himself or count on all off Federer/Murray/Soderling/Del Potro to be able to save him from Djokovic finals. To be fair Djokovic has looked great vs everyone including Federer (especially on hardcourt) so Nadal will have to step it up to keep #1. It's gonna be very interesting
(I wouldn't worry, Rafa has always struggled against Djokovic in best-of-3 encounters- losing 3 straight to Djokovic in 2009, yet beat Djokovic at the US Open last year)

·
Banned
185 Posts
[300]

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Some seriously deluded people voted in this poll.

Probably won't surpass Borg. No chance of reaching Mac. And I mean none.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
step back from Rafa and give him some air, Topspindoctor...

... and Sophocles.

·
Registered
56,000 Posts
I honestly don't care :)

I hope he'll win more Slams, though.

As of Nole beeing #1 for a long, long time, does anyone* expects him to defend all those points next year? :scratch:

*except Srjdan, Dijana, Marko, Nole spam & co, of course

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
If someone counts on Afraidovic, who is scared to play Monte Carlo and Queens to hold Rafa from having some more weeks at the top with certain breaks of course, are completely delusional.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Nadal can pass McEnroe I think if he continues to take small tournament like 500 and MS seriously and if he does not focus on slams only. Connors is going to be hard.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I really don't care now he passed 100 weeks mark!! He spent 60% of his carrer in Top 5 and will all mugs around he will be there for many more years

Going ahead of Borg will be cool, even week by week ranking was introduced in summer 1984

1 - 20 of 194 Posts