Mens Tennis Forums banner

where would you like to see Nadal vs. Murray in a grand slam final?

• Australian open

• Roland Garros

• Wimbledon

• us open

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is crazy how did Nadal-Murray never happen at least once in a grand slam final bad luck, injury's? all time greats players like Federer Djokovic or other grand slam champions such as Wawrinka, Cilic del Potro all. and whos fault is it Murray or Nadal Nobody's just really unlucky we never got this great match up in a grand slam final that do you guys think?.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nadull knew grinding out a five set mugfest with his Islander counterpart would ruin any hope for tennis.

British when he wins
Scottish when he loses

😎

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
We know of many reasons.... :)

Draw King

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts
Nadal vs. Murray was a year off at AO. AO 2016 Murray vs. AO 2017 Nadal.

Nadal would wipe the floor with Sir Andy though.

Reactions: Nadalgoat 2

·
Registered
766 Posts
"Who stopped that from happening?" - The draw, and themselves.

Just like Djoko found himself in Roger's section of the draw most of the time off clay from 2008-2011, Murray found himself in Rafa's.

Reactions: Nadalgoat 2

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Yes, one of the reasons is certainly that they were often drawn together earlier during Murray's best years. They met 6 times in SFs and twice in QFs. However, it would have remained to be seen how often especially Murray would have reached finals otherwise. Murray is 1-5 against Federer and 2-8 against Djokovic at slams. The other reason is that they performed best at different slams. Murray only reached two finals at Nadal's best slams, RG and USO (and it is not that he was eliminated frequently by Nadal at RG, only twice).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Well, one can find many reasons, starting with the big4 itself and most often Murray stopped in 1/2 slam (by Nadal himself or the reverse) or before, and also of course, for recent years, when Murray goes far (2016) Nadal has been declining and the reverse since 2017.

Personally, I'm more surprised by the total lack of slam matches between Federer and Ferrer (out of 14), while Ferrer was a regular and consistent player.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Personally, I'm more surprised by the total lack of slam matches between Federer and Ferrer (out of 14), while Ferrer was a regular and consistent player.
Yes, this is quite stunning. They were 14 times in the QF of the same slam and never met. Ferrer probably didn't mind though, given he is 0-17 against Federer.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Yes, this is quite stunning. They were 14 times in the QF of the same slam and never met. Ferrer probably didn't mind though, given he is 0-17 against Federer.
Oh 😮 I hadn't checked, I thought the h2h was 14-0, not 17-0 and didn't know they were 14 times in the same 1/4. :whistle:

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
14/24 of the matches between these two players were semi-finals (plus three QFs and three R16s). They must been in the same half of the draw more often than not when both players were in good form.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It's quite surprising how easy Rafa won against Murray on grass.
The peak is not at the same time.

When Nadal beats Murray for the 3rd time in Wimbledon in 2011 (after 08 and 10), Murray has not yet reached his peak .. and Nadal for his part has not yet started his "bad meetings" Rosol, Darcis, Kyrgios, Brown and Muller (2nd) ..

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Curiously he met 4 times Novak and 4 times Rafa.

Curiously ? Each of those 4 times :
David lost 3 at RG and 1 USO to Rafa
David lost 3 at AO and 1 USO to Novak

If I was a coincidence freak I'd be freaking out. Ok ok not really...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, one of the reasons is certainly that they were often drawn together earlier during Murray's best years. They met 6 times in SFs and twice in QFs. However, it would have remained to be seen how often especially Murray would have reached finals otherwise. Murray is 1-5 against Federer and 2-8 against Djokovic at slams. The other reason is that they performed best at different slams. Murray only reached two finals at Nadal's best slams, RG and USO (and it is not that he was eliminated frequently by Nadal at RG, only twice).
I always find it weird that Murray had only two USO finals. When he made his breakthrough, it looked like he'd make a lot of em, but then Rafa and Novak raised their levels dramatically

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I always find it weird that Murray had only two USO finals.
Yes, paradoxically he was much more consistent in AO.

Freshness may have its role, because AO begins the season and except his beautiful summer 2012 (F Wimb, OG gold, W US Open but released early in Canada and Cinci 1/8); Murray has often performed during the MS hard (Canada and Cinci, at least one of the 2 MS from 2008 to 2012) and may lack freshness in the last rounds of NY.
His 2008 to 2016 winners are not really surprises, however: Federer, Cilic, Stan, Djoko, Stan, Djoko, Anderson, Nishi.

It's like IW in MS, no real reason to be less successful.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts