Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yeah I know, but the poster said Rafa was 200%, when he wasn't even close to 100%, because his defense was not ready to play against elite hitters.
Rafa's offense was ready, that's why he destroyed all those guys at the AO, but you can't beat Djokovic/Fognini with offense alone, you have to play defense and turn the defense into offense.
You make it sound so simple. Nadal broke Djokovic's serve only once over their last seven matches on a hard court.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yeah I know, but the poster said Rafa was 200%, when he wasn't even close to 100%, because his defense was not ready.
Rafa's offense was ready, that's why he destroyed all those guys at the AO, but you can't beat Djokovic/Fognini with offense alone, you have to play defense and turn the defense into offense.
Tsitsipas let Rafa off the hook at the AO, because if Tsitsipas had known Rafa's defense was not ready then Tsitsipas would have just moved Rafa around, but instead Tsitsipas tried to blast the ball into Rafa's body which give Rafa the chance to use the brilliant offense.
Rafa was attacking more than usual at that AO, and people were surprised, but he was doing it because he had no defense.
All you had to do was move Rafa around to reveal his lack of defensive training, and only Djokovic did that at the AO, and Fognini at Monte Carlo.
You’ve got a fair point there, I did notice he was more aggressive than usual in the AO. Yet again, his opponents bent over the whole way until the final.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Schwartzman played well in a lot of those matches, they were tight 70 minute a set :D. He had Nadal on the ropes in Roland Garros. He was unlucky at times.
Just imagine what Diego could’ve done that day on RG if it weren’t for that goddamn rain delay. Dull may of still won but I feel Diego with how well he was playing would’ve at least made the second set a nail biter and possibly could’ve taken it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
"Djokovic played Nadal 7 times during his slump in 2015 & 2016. " etc etc

This simply demonstrates that h2h is a very relative statistical data and strongly marked by the form and the circumstances of the moment, not to mention the surface.
So, let 2013 make Nadal- Federer 4-0 or 2017 mid 2018 Federer Djokovic 0-0 without looking back, but knowing what it is about these years for each player.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Comparing Diego to Fog is a stretch in & of itself. If only Fog had shorty’s heart & desire & not chronic ADD, what could b?
Arguably a top 5 potential. But then again his carelessness is part of charm for me to watch. And I doubt he could've had those 3 matches winning streak vs Rafa if it wasn't for his contrasting attitude to Rafa's/

·
|
14,320 Posts
But he also didn't break Djokovic's serve at the ATP Cup this year? Also, didn't Djokovic technically 'slump' prior to 2011? I counted one match in 2006, seven matches in 2007, seven matches in 2009, and two matches in 2010. I excluded 2008 because Djokovic won a slam that year. So, 17 matches during Djokovic's slump.
I don't know about a slump prior to 2011, I think only Djokovic fans would remember Djokovic's level back then, but he clearly wasn't slumping at the 2010 US Open....
In fact Djokovic did better in the 2010 US Open Final than in the 2013 US Open Final:
2010 US Open Final = Nadal def. Djokovic 6-2 in 4th Set
2013 US Open Final = Nadal def. Djokovic 6-1 in 4th Set
And it is generally agreed that Rafa's best level ever was the 2010 US Open.
Also Goffin beat Rafa in straight sets at the 2020 ATP Cup, so Rafa simply wasn't playing well at all, and De Minaur almost beat Rafa in straight sets (Rafa won 46 75 61).

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
"Djokovic played Nadal 7 times during his slump in 2015 & 2016. " etc etc

This simply demonstrates that h2h is a very relative statistical data and strongly marked by the form and the circumstances of the moment, not to mention the surface.
So, let 2013 make Nadal- Federer 4-0 or 2017 mid 2018 Federer Djokovic 0-0 without looking back, but knowing what it is about these years for each player.
Exactly, that’s why h2h is overrated and shouldn’t be viewed much to influence the quality of a player. Federer would’ve destroyed Djokovic in 2017 and first half of 2018 anytime but they never played.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Exactly, that’s why h2h is overrated and shouldn’t be viewed much to influence the quality of a player. Federer would’ve destroyed Djokovic in 2017 and first half of 2018 anytime but they never played.
I disagree with this. When two players play each other 50 times - a large sample size - these things tend to even out. To give you an example, Djokovic did not get the opportunity to play Federer in 2016 after he came back from his injury because Federer was losing early when he was on the court and then later missed half the season. Djokovic also missed half the season in 2017. Both players were in the same situation, ergo it evened out.

I also don't understand the reasoning. Whenever a player loses before he can play an opponent - in any year - it was a missed opportunity for the two players to play each other. For instance, when Federer was defeated by Millman at the US Open in 2018, it was a missed opportunity for Djokovic to beat Federer at another slam.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I disagree with this. When two players play each other 50 times - a large sample size - these things tend to even out. To give you an example, Djokovic did not get the opportunity to play Federer in 2016 after he came back from his injury because Federer was losing early when he was on the court and then later missed half the season. Djokovic also missed half the season in 2017. Both players were in the same situation, ergo it evened out.

I also don't understand the reasoning. Whenever a player loses before he can play an opponent - in any year - it was a missed opportunity for the two players to play each other. For instance, when Federer was defeated by Millman at the US Open in 2018, it was a missed opportunity for Djokovic to beat Federer at another slam.
You could argue the same for 2016 wimby. Federer was pretty bad though but Djokovic was even worse as he lost to querrey. They did play at the AO that year though where Djokovic won in 4 sets. You could also argue Djokovic lost early in first half of 2017 thus avoiding Federer. I suppose you are right though that it does even out overall.

·
Registered
705 Posts
They both play him well. But Fognini catches Nadal when he's playing poorly. All Fognini victories against Nadal came at a time when he was in a slump. Theoretically, Schwartzman could've beaten him in these times too.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Fognini is a better player than Schwartzmann, it's not only about styles, level plays an important role, obviously. And while there are similarities in their games, Fognini can generate power effortlessly in a way Schwartzmann can't with his height. Nonetheless, Schwartzmann played some good matches against Nadal once he reached his peak, in RG he won the first set and had some chances in the second IIRC.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Easy effortless power as said is a big difference between the two Fog-Diego. Not to mention Diego "lack " of it , is why the score vs Nadal noted in the OP . No matter how talented shotmaker Diego is or the grit determination Diego has , it is unsustainable vs Rafa. Itll always come easy for Nadal to overpower in the end . An on fire and focused Fog can trouble and beat Rafa if Rafa is not his beast self.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts