Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nadal has been holding a top-10 rank for 687 weeks and currently he is the only one who has still maintained a top-10 rank since 2005. After the sweep of the clay season this year, he is guaranteed to be ranked top-10 until next year's clay season. That means, he will definitely cross Federer's number, and if he plays half as good next year as he is this year, he is very likely to beat Connors' position as well.

This probably is the only position he is likely to beat Federer among the most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10 positions. The other position he possibly could beat Federer's record is the most total weeks top-2: currently Federer has 512 weeks in the top-2 position (total, not consecutive), while Nadal has held a top-2 rank for 457 weeks.

What other records do you think Nadal will surpass over Federer?

·
Registered
635 Posts
One record that I haven't seen anyone on MTF talk about is the number of consecutive years on the tour with at least 1 title.

At the moment, he is tied with Federer at 15. But Federer's run ended in 2015 (he won no titles in 2016). So if Nadal wins 1 title next year, he breaks the record. Kind of a niche record, but still...

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
One record that I haven't seen anyone on MTF talk about is the number of consecutive years on the tour with at least 1 title.

At the moment, he is tied with Federer at 15. But Federer's run ended in 2015 (he won no titles in 2016). So if Nadal wins 1 title next year, he breaks the record. Kind of a niche record, but still...

Correct... if you want to limit that to Open Era of course.

Ken Rosewall + Rod Laver achieved that for 21 consecutive years.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Correct... if you want to limit that to Open Era of course.

Ken Rosewall + Rod Laver achieved that for 21 consecutive years.
Good point, yes that would be an open-era record rather than an all-time record...

PS: This is my 300th post. I've heard you get access to the mythical "Ruins" forum after 300 posts, so I can't wait to check it out.

*runs to check it out*

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yeah, after his great escape in 2015, he’s pretty much a lock for the top 10 streak record. I didn’t know about titles though. Did he win only Stuttgart in 2015? It would be quite ironic if this streak were to be salvaged by a grass tournament !

I didn’t know Fedal were so close for weeks in top 2... That one will be tight until the very end!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Nadal has been holding a top-10 rank for 687 weeks and currently he is the only one who has still maintained a top-10 rank since 2005. After the sweep of the clay season this year, he is guaranteed to be ranked top-10 until next year's clay season. That means, he will definitely cross Federer's number, and if he plays half as good next year as he is this year, he is very likely to beat Connors' position as well.

This probably is the only position he is likely to beat Federer among the most weeks in top-2, 3, 5 and 10 positions. The other position he possibly could beat Federer's record is the most total weeks top-2: currently Federer has 512 weeks in the top-2 position (total, not consecutive), while Nadal has held a top-2 rank for 457 weeks.

Outdoor titles most probably- Nadal currently leads 77-74.

Nadal will continue to rack up titles on the dirt.... ala.. outdoors while Federer will win titles from here on end but some will be 'distributed' elsewhere- indoor titles eg Basel/WTF etc etc.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yeah, after his great escape in 2015, he’s pretty much a lock for the top 10 streak record. I didn’t know about titles though. Did he win only Stuttgart in 2015? It would be quite ironic if this streak were to be salvaged by a grass tournament !

I didn’t know Fedal were so close for weeks in top 2... That one will be tight until the very end!
Nadal won 3 titles that year. Buenos Aires, Stuttgart and Hamburg. I think he is very likely to break Fed's record and if he has a good clay season again next year then he will beat Connors too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts