Mens Tennis Forums banner

Type of shade?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
48,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From his presser on asapsports after the Bolelli win:

Q. I don't know if you saw yesterday's match, Federer and Kyrgios, but does it surprise you? Do you think that now we're going to change the generation of players?
RAFAEL NADAL: How old is Dimitrov? Let's speak clearly. They are in different ages. Dimitrov is already a mature player. He's not a young player that's pushing. He's a really high‑level player and already been playing a lot of years on the circuit.
That is completely different to Kyrgios. I understand that you're looking forward to seeing new, younger players coming up and players that are forcing that change in generations. That's going to happen. I don't know if it's happening right now, but of course we have seen a couple of young players that are doing really well. They are going to be the next generation of tennis players.
But today in the race of the year, the top 5 are two players that have been a lot of years on the circuit. None of the young players that we're talking about are in the top 5.
There are young players that have a lot of talent and things to fight for. Dimitrov is not one of them because he's been already fighting for a lot of years to be up there in top 10. So don't put him into that group.
In this group we have Kokkinakis, Kyrgios, maybe I forget about some other players, but I don't know.
Today I think that if they continue playing as they do week after week, they will have their options in a couple of months to fight for important things.
Today I think that Djokovic or Federer or Berdych or Nishikori, they are very solid up there and playing very well. Murray also. Sorry. He is No. 2, I believe.
http://wallpapersinhq.com/images/big/atom_bomb-137938.jpg

DEAD at that line. When I was reading the press I couldn't believe. If I was Coric, ABSOLUTELY that is something to use to motivate you. Kokk? Kyrgios? Coric just beat him in Basel! "Maybe I forgot about some other players, but I don't know"?

Definite shade to me, or at least side shade.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
Re: Nadal throws side shade to Coric?

You're making too many movies in your head. Basel match happened half a year ago, not 'just'.

·
Registered
21,771 Posts

Thinking too much there Groove. Unnecessary to make this thread tbh.

·
Your visions will happen
48,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I mean think about it

Coric was invited by Nadal to train when he was like 15 or 16 in Mallorca. Then, Coric beats him in Basel. Not only Coric looks like Djokovic, but is also BFFs with him. Training together, signed to same management team, Borna option to move to Monte-Carlo, whatever.

Then we have the infamous Facebook-gate which MarkChan covered beautifully in the other thread, where Coric (gasp!) liked Djokovic facebook page but not Nadal's

So all of this adds up to shade. Just you watch. Next time Nadal plays Coric, Borna will be even more pumped than usual, I guarantee

·
Registered
21,771 Posts

I mean think about it

Coric was invited by Nadal to train when he was like 15 or 16 in Mallorca. Then, Coric beats him in Basel. Not only Coric looks like Djokovic, but is also BFFs with him. Training together, signed to same management team, Borna option to move to Monte-Carlo, whatever.

Then we have the infamous Facebook-gate which MarkChan covered beautifully in the other thread, where Coric (gasp!) liked Djokovic facebook page but not Nadal's

So all of this adds up to shade. Just you watch. Next time Nadal plays Coric, Borna will be even more pumped than usual, I guarantee
Dude it's a press conference, Nadal doesn't have all the time in the world to think what he's gonna say. You say what comes to his mind first, and that's what happened in the press conference. I'm sure he had no intention to throw a shade to Coric :lol:

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

It's not an easy task to remember 3 names for such an intellectual beast like Nabull.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts

The shade was at the end when he said Murray was #2 when he knows fine well Federer is

Reactions: MuzzahLovah

·
Banned
68 Posts

First you have this:

...then you have this:

...and after that:

...and what you get is this interview

·
Registered
2,202 Posts

Choric ? How about the blatant attack on Roger ? He said Murray is World No. 2 in the last sentence.

·
Registered
449 Posts

I think you might be right Johnny, he went out of his way to say maybe I forgot a name,

if he forgot a name he just forgot it and wouldn't bring it up.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts

Nadal isn't subtle enough to throw shade.

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts

Nadal only remembers his victories, no?

·
Registered
3,347 Posts

Please. Rafa just forgot his name. His memory cells overloaded when he tried to remember how to pronounce "Kokkinakis"

·
Registered
5,096 Posts

There are young players that have a lot of talent and things to fight for. Dimitrov is not one of them because he's been already fighting for a lot of years to be up there in top 10. So don't put him into that group.
The real shade, no?

·
Registered
4,947 Posts

The ones whinging about Rafa saying Murray is #2 - he is talking about the RACE. Where, indeed, Andy is #2. (Federer #5)
He also said: " ... Today I think that if they continue playing as they do week after week, they will have their options in a couple of months to fight for important things."

So, although Coric and Chung are currently placed higger than Kokk, Nadal might simply think that older Kyrgios and even tall and strong Kokk (grass season) have a chance to fight for the titles this very season, whereas younger Coric, Chung & co. the next season.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts

He also said: " ... Today I think that if they continue playing as they do week after week, they will have their options in a couple of months to fight for important things."

So, although Coric and Chung are currently placed higger than Kokk, Nadal might simply think that older Kyrgios and even Kokk (grass season) have a chance to fight for the titles this very year, whereas younger Coric, Chung & co. the next.
And next few months vs next year or two is an arguable view given Kokk's IW run (though actually I'm not sure that he is especially good on grass, it isn't his favoured surface) and Kyrgios' assorted wins.

But I have to agree with others, probably just a brain overload rather than a deliberate slight. He has said nice things about Kokkinakis before, though acknowledging Kyrgios as the real deal, though kind of obvious, is a turnaround from his post-Wimbly comments!

The real dig did indeed seem to be at Diva.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts

he's not allowed to forget one name in the middle of a conversation ?

that's ridiculous for God's sake.

He's Nadal, a tennis player, not a politician (and even paliticians sometimes make mistakes in their speeches, at least the ones which are not prepared in advance)

a clear example of what I talked about yesterday about Federer.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts