Mens Tennis Forums banner

Is Nadal Right?

1 - 20 of 403 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/n...p/Nadal-calls-for-two-year-ATP-ranking-period

Nadal calls for two-year ATP ranking period

Apr 22, 2011, 15:51 GMT

Barcelona - Rafael Nadal marched into the semi-finals of the Barcelona Open on Friday with a 6-2, 6-2 defeat of Gael Monfils and then called for the ATP rankings to be calculated over two seasons, instead of one.

The world number one said the change would decrease pressure on players to compete week after week and would lead to 'a more quite and longer professional career.'

The Spaniard is living proof of the dangers of over-playing after missing Barcelona a year ago to have treatment on a lingering knee injury.

This season, Nadal is fighting to hold off a charge from Novak Djokovic, who has not lost in 2011 and is ranked second on the ATP ahead of Roger Federer.

Nadal, a member of the influential ATP Player Council, said that ranking players over two years of results would mainly benefit fitness.

'We would not have to play ever week as we do now,' he said with some exaggeration after competing during 2010 over 22 weeks that comprised 17 events, including the London Tour final and the four Grand Slams (two weeks each).

'I don't know if it can happen but I will continue to work for it for the benefit of future tennis generations. If it happens we will have a more relaxed life and a longer career.'

Nadal is bidding for his sixth trophy from seven editions in Barcelona and is due to play for seven of the next nine weeks through Wimbledon.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Re: Nadal wants a two-year ranking system to fight fatigue

Oh please, you'd have to fight to stay No1 some other way :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,731 Posts

Can see the logic, but it would result in too many truly absurd rankings - guys could do a Verdasco, be a hundred miles off decent form, and still hog up top10 spots. Also not fair to those working hard to rise up.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts

I've been saying for some time now that for me, it would be better to have a two-year ranking system

it would be better for the players

One is not the same as The Other like he suggests.

Today it is mandatory to play every week

No it's not.

and everywhere you are defending

No it's not.

especially in my case

why?

and if you lose you lose lots of points

What should you do - gain them?

·
Registered
11,858 Posts

well i think 1 year is too short but 2 years is too long and anything in between wont work.

so i guess we're stuck with status quo.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts

No.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts

Top guys have it easier when it comes to schedule management.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts

It's not exactly difficult for a player of Nadal's caliber to pull out of any event that he wants, including mandatory one. I see that the #1 rank has become like a drug to him, who gives a shit? Concentrate on slams first :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,480 Posts

Bad idea, Rafa :bs:

·
Registered
14,480 Posts

It's not exactly difficult for a player of Nadal's caliber to pull out of any event that he wants, including mandatory one. I see that the #1 rank has become like a drug to him, who gives a shit? Concentrate on slams first :rolleyes:

Yeah, but apparently he's so focussed on the #1 ranking, he also thinks that Djoker will surpass him in 1 month or so. No way :lol:

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts

The point he seems to have missed is that any ranking system that makes it harder for established players' rankings to drop if they have bad results or injury, automatically make it harder for up and coming players' rankings to rise when they start to score good results. In a two year system Milos Raonic would still be ranked nowhere and would be forced to be in qualifying at ATP tournaments, most likely. This is no more fair.

·
Banned
3,761 Posts

"change the rule before i lose my #1 ranking!!"

·
Registered
7,014 Posts

Bad idea.. better with the one year ranking system as they have today than two imo.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

It might be harder to drop ranking points with a two-year system but it would also be much harder to gain them back, and make a recovery - so either way there's going to be a scenario where someone will have to fight harder to get a good ranking.

One year is fine for me though. It's more relevant to have a system based on one year, rather than two.

·
Registered
59,131 Posts

Funny guy this Nadull. After AO2009 he said the same, because he had a good lead in the rankings. Not a surprise that when he was on his 11 month title drought he never mentioned it again.

'I don't know if it can happen but I will continue to work for it for the benefit of future tennis generations.'
:haha:

·
Registered
850 Posts

Everytime Nadal is number 1 he cares about the other players and their career, how nice of him. Has he ever thought about the possibility, that a career could also last longer by playing on faster, less demanding surfaces? Why then the complaint about the choice of the US Daviscupteam?
Nadal clearly feels the pression, he is only interested in himself.

1 - 20 of 403 Posts