Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is link to interview:

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/interviews/2014-06-24/201406241403632867509.html

He said:

Q. Is winning back-to-back French Open and Wimbledon titles the toughest beat in tennis, do you think? Is that the hardest thing in the sport to do?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I don't think so. I am not sure on that because if we are thinking about our era, I don't see a big difference of winning Roland Garros and Wimbledon because in the end if you're in the final, you really make the same adjustment. You were able to play very well on grass, too.

I was able to do that five times. Djokovic was able to play the final in Roland Garros or semifinals and then win here. So that match will not make a difference.

I don't see that win Roland Garros and Wimbledon is so difficult one tournament by itself. The tough thing today is at the end mentally and physically you play a long clay court season. Not only the clay court season. You are coming from American hard court season. So one month in America, then one-month-and-a-half or two months in Europe playing on clay. Then mentally if you are able to win Roland Garros, you already played a lot of your time at your top mentally and physically. Is normal you go down little bit.

The real thing is you don't have lot of time to prepare and to play matches on grass. But the best players were able to do it very well the last couple of years, the transition.

Q. People say the grass at Wimbledon is either too fast, too slow. Does it really make any difference because everybody has to play on the surface no matter what?

RAFAEL NADAL: The problem with the players always is the same. If I am playing very well, I see the grass slow. If I am playing bad, I see the grass very quick. That is the same for me and the rest of the players.

The feeling are not the same every year for the same players, no? You arrive to, for example, a tournament Montréal that is very fast. I remember 2005 I was there. I had an unbelievable feeling, I was playing great before I arrive to the tournament. I arrive to the locker room, everybody was saying the court was playing that fast. I didn't feel the court was that fast. Is always about the personal feeling of the people.

My personal feeling, I repeat my personal feeling is I am playing in Wimbledon since in 2002. In 2002 I played Wimbledon junior. We are 2014. I don't see no one difference between that period of time. I don't know before.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
My personal feeling, I repeat my personal feeling is I am playing in Wimbledon since in 2002. In 2002 I played Wimbledon junior. We are 2014. I don't see no one difference between that period of time. I don't know before.

Et voila.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Rafa is actually. Few years in faster grass court he could stay closer to the baseliner to return ironically. It's about his form.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
This is the reason he has so many fans.

He is a no bullshit - honest talker without being a loud mouth controversy seeker like Gulbis
He has more fans than Fraud on facebook now. He attracts so many fans because of his on-court greatness, but not faking classy (Fraud) or calling for universal love through twitter fanchat(Novak Wozniacki)

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
He has more fans than Fraud on facebook now. He attracts so many fans because of his on-court greatness, but not faking classy (Fraud) or calling for universal love through twitter fanchat(Novak Wozniacki)
Man - you do have something for Nole !
He is a great guy - if a lil arrogant.

Fed is PR gold and classy as hell but he cant shake that feeling that he thinks of himself as a great.
Rafa on the other hand genuinely beleives himself to be not that great and that is what his pull is for people.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Man - you do have something for Nole !
He is a great guy - if a lil arrogant.

Fed is PR gold and classy as hell but he cant shake that feeling that he thinks of himself as a great.
Rafa on the other hand genuinely beleives himself to be not that great and that is what his pull is for people.
The fans of these two boast them too much, making them look like they have won 20+ slams each. Why can't they and their idols do it on court instead of trying to win the mouth battle on a forum full of idiotic fanboys?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Nah it's not difficult to you is it Rafael, running around the clay like baseline during Wimbledon second week, retrieving and just waiting for one opponent after another to implode, not difficult at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts