Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not that i don't believe Novak couldn' have won slams again if he lost in the SF, but this will just speed up his comeback. Nadal shouldn't have wanted that as this was a great chance for him to win Wimbeldon or other non-clay tournaments. I think Nole is maybe at 75% of the best version he can be of himself. It won't be 2011 or een 2015-early 2016 but it will be a very omnious one on hard courts. Think he moves better on hard & his fitness + ROS will only improve with matches. The more confidence he gets, he'll get back to standing up on the baseline like he used to before. I think post WTF we will remember this match as a mini-revival for Novak confidence wise! And ps: Where do you think he'll finish the year? I say top 4.

·
Registered
445 Posts
this match is a huge mental boost for novak. i hope he'll use it to win many slams from now on

·
Registered
956 Posts
If Zverev and Potro stands in top 4, Nole may find it hard to enter here.
Zverev and Del Potro don't have the fitness at the moment to win slams. Zverev also is not mentally ready yet. I agree Djokovic will struggle to reach the top of the rankings but if he stays healthy he'll go deeper in slams you'd have to think.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
If Zverev and Potro stands in top 4, Nole may find it hard to enter here.
No. 3, 4 & 5 in the ATP Race, Zverev, Delpo & Djokovic are almost at the same distance from no.2 Federer, some 400-600 points.

So, if injury free, they all can finish the year as y.e. no.2 behind Nadal, but only Federer and Djokovic could still finish the year as no.1, if they played the way they are capable of, for the whole USO-WTF period.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Beating Rafa is always a good thing for anyone. Specially for Nole.
You can say a win is a win. and i would agree.
But unlike most here i take alot of things from this SF.
Nole needed all those games to beat Rafa, on grass and indoors. Its not an excuse for the loss. Its a fact, something most here are disregarding.

But i can also see from Rafa point of view. If i can do what i did here, if im healthy and i can do alot better not just in clay. but besides grass.

We all know the history of Rosol,Darci, Brown, Nick and Muller. All of these guys had one of those days that comes once a year. Except for Nick who of this bunc is more talented and explosive. The rest are crap and have proven so.
But all these guys on those days they beat Rafa played much better then Nole in this SF.

So while most are happy Rafa lost. Im happy what he did until that loss. He could of won that match and maybe with the whole thing. But it wasnt in the cards.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
We all know the history of Rosol,Darci, Brown, Nick and Muller. All of these guys had one of those days that comes once a year. Except for Nick who of this bunc is more talented and explosive. The rest are crap and have proven so.
But all these guys on those days they beat Rafa played much better then Nole in this SF.
They play completely different games. All of these guys had a big serve and/or a very potent slice, which on grass hit him right where it hurt the most - his RoS and his knees. And even this year, Delpo - the first player with this combo, despite not being grass giant by any stretch of the imagination, gave him hard time.
Djokovic also served well, but not consistently. He played multiple games with no first serve at all and only when facing BP's he managed to clutch it out in Federer-esque manner. He entered this match with plenty of self doubts. Rafa, OTOH, had all the confidence in the world. That's why it was close (and, of course, because he's an amazing fighter, who charges every point as if it was his last ever). Not because Nadal played some super grass game. That being said, he did great all things considered and should be proud of himself. Probably exceeded not only his fans' expectations, but also his own.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Nole has no more points to defend the rest of the year, he will only earn them. If Nole doesn't fall off a cliff again, he'll get there easily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts