Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I'm glad, i'd honestly be ok with him shutting down the season at this point, he should focus on being fit for Australia, but i'm sure he will play the Tour Finals at least, he could pick up a few points there. Did he only play 1 match last year?

·
23,063 Posts
To tell the truth it's to be expected when he has these long runs in Hard Court tournaments. Djokovic is 1035 points behind Nadal* so a title in Shanghai and the battle for YE #1 will really heat up. Anyway well wishes to Nadal in his recovery. To be fair this is smart scheduling for him this year.

*In the ATP Race

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
1100 points down the drain. That basically leaves Federer and Djokovic to battle among themselves for YE#1.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Don’t know if this is good or bad news for Nadal. Obviously this means that his injury is serious otherwise he would try to defend his title / the final points from a Masters. OTOH this gives him time to rest for the last two events and don’t get injured again at AO..we will see how his knees recover. Djokovic should be a lock for #1 know. He can only be stopped by Federer or himself..

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I'm glad, i'd honestly be ok with him shutting down the season at this point, he should focus on being fit for Australia, but i'm sure he will play the Tour Finals at least, he could pick up a few points there. Did he only play 1 match last year?
Yes, he lost in RR to Goffin, while being visibly hampered.
He might even try and play Paris, although one would think he learned his lesson last year. Given that WTF '18 field is stronger with DelPo, Djokovic, possibly Nishikori, his chances to finally snatch it are rather low. Calling it a season would be anything but surprising. AO must be a priority.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Novak needs Beijing title and Shanghai final to climb to #1 in Race. With Shanghai title he can also climb to #1 in ATP rankings.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Great decision, skipping Beijing was a no-brainer anyway, in fact he shouldn't play b2b HC tournaments for the rest of his career, so I also I hope he doesn't enter a 500 the week before Bercy to desperately fight for the #1 spot.

1100 points down the drain. That basically leaves Federer and Djokovic to battle among themselves for YE#1.
You might wanna take a look at the race again, Fed is ~2700 points behind Rafa and he doesn't even play Bercy AFAIK.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Shame.

Another injury robbing him of another slam. T'was the US Open this time :(

Thats his legacy.

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
Nadal - 8760
Federer - 6900
That's 1860 not ~ 2700
1860 - 1100 Beijing/Sanghai = 760
Of course Federer has Shanghai to defend.
For the YE#1 you need to look at the Race rankings. Nadal 7480; Djok 6445 and Fed (only) 4800. That's the 2700 deficit against Rafa. Things look very good for Djok at the moment.

Delpo is at 4910. Him and Fed are still within a striking distance, but Djok needs to stumble a bit as well. Still plenty of points even at the WTF, but Djok has been formidable there as well.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,623 Posts
Shame.

Another injury robbing him of another slam. T'was the US Open this time :(

Thats his legacy.
It was hard yards to defend the USO title this time round considering the marathon matches he had starting in R3. Even if he got past Del Potro, he'd literally be on one leg and easy pickings for Djokovic. Similar reason as to why Kei was non-competitive against Cilic in 2014 final, as his 14 sets and 12 hours of battling with Raonic, Wawrinka and Djokovic physically and mentally exhausted him.

I do consider 2017 a robbery though, Kei had an open path in the second half had he be able to play, you'd think he could handle a PCB or Anderson in a SF :sad:

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Chokehater is right. Nadal has 7480 points in the race while Federer has 4800.
No that's race to London, not ATP list.
For the YE#1 you need to look at the Race rankings. Nadal 7480; Djok 6445 and Fed (only) 4800. That's the 2700 deficit against Rafa. Things look very good for Djok at the moment.

Delpo is at 4910. Him and Fed are still within a striking distance, but Djok needs to stumble a bit as well. Still plenty of points even at the WTF, but Djok has been formidable there as well.
Are you saying you can be YE#1 without being #1 on ATP list?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Nadal - 8760
Federer - 6900
That's 1860 not ~ 2700
1860 - 1100 Beijing/Sanghai = 760
Of course Federer has Shanghai to defend.
He is talking about the race, not ranking points.
Nadal has 7480, Federer has 4800, a difference of 2680 points ~ 2700.
Fed needs to almost win every tournament left in the year to get there.
If he wins Basel (500), wins Shanghai (1000), and makes the finals of ATP Finals (1000 pts), he still falls short by 180 points.
Last year I would have bet on him. This year after Rotterdam, he is not the same player. Maybe the magic sauce of Laver Cup works again.

So realistically, only Novak (1035 points behind) has a chance of beating Rafa's numbers.
If he wins Shanghai (1000 points), or wins a 500 and makes Shanghai finals (1100 pts, 500+600), he will finish #1 if he does play ATP finals.
Because no way Rafa does better than Novak in ATP finals.

So either way, one of Novak or Rafa matches Federer in YE #1's.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts