Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
He hasn't picked a racket for three months, he needs to restart slowly, why risk an injure at this point?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, other spanish players and Djokovic are playing exo tornaments so they are some weeks ahead of Rafa. Considering that he didn't touch a racquet in 2 months and he's practicing twice a week, I'm not sure about his competitive level on Sept.

·
justice for all
16,907 Posts
He is a smart guy. He is 34 and needs to get back to top form step by step to fine tune his shape for September when RG rolls around.
Too bad Dominic will take it away from him. 💪

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
What is interesting is Rafa strikes me as a player who needs a few tune ups to get into his groove. He has the whole clay season normally to do this. If RG does go ahead with, max, one warm up we could see some strange results, Nadal included.

Basically what I am saying is a Frenchman will win this year.

·
6,674 Posts
What is interesting is Rafa strikes me as a player who needs a few tune ups to get into his groove. He has the whole clay season normally to do this. If RG does go ahead with, max, one warm up we could see some strange results, Nadal included.

Yeah I wouldn't begrudge a Frenchman winning it, for the first time in 37 years.
A shame it is so unlikely, and more chance of me flying to the moon.
But Nadal does normally need time , esp after a layoff like this.
Last year he didn't "click" until Rome.
He won't have that luxury of being able to play himself in this year, assuming it still goes ahead.

·
|
15,486 Posts
Rafa got injured several times in Australia because he had a break in November-December and then rushed his training.
Never rush your training after a break.

·
|
15,486 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't begrudge a Frenchman winning it, for the first time in 37 years.
A shame it is so unlikely, and more chance of me flying to the moon.
But Nadal does normally need time , esp after a layoff like this.
Last year he didn't "click" until Rome.
He won't have that luxury of being able to play himself in this year, assuming it still goes ahead.
In that 2019 Australian Open Final press conference, Rafa said his doctor didn't let him practice his defense since ankle surgery in late 2018, so at the AO he was only able to play offense (you can see in his matches he was ending the points very quickly to avoid running, and you need to run to play Djokovic - hence Rafa lost a slam final in straight sets for the first time ever).
So his defense wasn't quite ready for clay season, whereas he'll be allowed to practice his defense right now.....even if its only 2 days per week at the moment (although we don't know what the truth is, he could be practicing 7 days per week).

·
Registered
19,255 Posts

Dafuq? Rafa has been the player most equipped to good form after layoffs more than anyone ever

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
Dafuq? Rafa has been the player most equipped to good form after layoffs more than anyone ever
Can you give me any examples of when Nadal came back from a long layoff and won?

·
|
15,486 Posts
2013 Indian Wells, he won it after missing 7 months.
2017 Australian Open, he almost won it after missing 3 months.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
2013 Indian Wells, he won it after missing 7 months.
2017 Australian Open, he almost won it after missing 3 months.
After bad losses to Horacio Zeballos and Milos Raonic, respectively

Reactions: TigerTim

·
|
15,486 Posts
Rafa's first ever loss to Raonic was 2015.
As for losing to Zeballos, that was because Rafa was limping, his doctor said Rafa's knee will be stiff for the first few months of 2013.....he still won Indian Wells shortly after.

·
Registered
19,255 Posts
Can you give me any examples of when Nadal came back from a long layoff and won?
2013? 2018? 2019?

Can you do the same for Federer and Djokovic?

Those weren't bad losses. They were high quality matches after having trounced good players within that tournament.

·
Registered
22,160 Posts
He’s right. Nadal always seems to comeback as good as ever after a long lay off. He didn’t play after USO 18 and was already back to making the AO final. Likewise in 2018 after his AO injury, came back in MC goating already. And the best example is of course 2013.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts