Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we're far enough away from Roland Garros for me to ask this with a degree of impunity: we keep being told how different courts Philippe Chatrier and Suzanne Lenglen are (am I right in thinking that they are virtually at opposite ends of the complex?), and how Chatrier appears to play to Nadal's strengths. Has he played on Suzanne Lenglen? If so, were there any noticeable differences in the way he played, did he struggle rather more, have unexpected problems, anything like that?

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
He only gets put on Suzanne Lenglen when he plays a weak opponent, so there isn’t much evidence. I imagine he’d adapt pretty well if the big matches were played there, he‘s had average matches but never got close to losing.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yes, every year ?‍♂

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
He lost a set vs Sock in 2015 while leading 2-0, but he was abysmal that year anyway, so that's not a good sample.

He lost 1st set vs Ferrer in 2014 QF, but crushed him later on. Has nothing to do with the court, Ferrer was playing out of his mind for a set and a half. Considering he was losing sets to Brands and Klizan that year, nothing special really.

·
|
15,176 Posts
I think we're far enough away from Roland Garros for me to ask this with a degree of impunity: we keep being told how different courts Philippe Chatrier and Suzanne Lenglen are (am I right in thinking that they are virtually at opposite ends of the complex?), and how Chatrier appears to play to Nadal's strengths. Has he played on Suzanne Lenglen? If so, were there any noticeable differences in the way he played, did he struggle rather more, have unexpected problems, anything like that?
2014 Roland Garros QF: Nadal def. Ferrer 46 64 60 61

1 - 7 of 7 Posts