Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
“The Canadian team is amazing. They were amazing today and probably they're going to be one of the teams that's going to be almost unbeatable in the next couple of years. They have a very strong team in more ways and on all surfaces.

“So a lot of credit to all of them. Denis is special. He has a lot of things that you can't practice, either you have it or you don't have it. And he has it."

This is beyond a usual comment from Rafa and a huge nod to Denis!
So glad to see this. Rafa likes a fighter and if anyone can see who has the spirit and the talent it's him.
But I'm sure MTF will contradict.

·
justice for all
14,358 Posts
I don’t like Nadal and his fake humbleness but even the broken clock says the right time twice a day.
So this time I do agree with him and just hope Rafaelito is not trying to jinx Denis. ;)

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Nadal is right about this as Shapovalov definitely has some impressive shot making skills. I mean the jumping backhand winners are pretty fucking ridiculous. As of now, I view Shapovalov as an untamed Wawrinka meaning he has the shots and firepower like Wawrinka but is still a little too erratic at times. If he can learn to tame it just right which he’s been doing recently, he could easily get some slams like Wawrinka and maybe more.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Agree, although I think he is much more athletic and a better defender than Wawa. His serve I think will be potentially better. When its clicking that lefty serve out wide than the forehand winner. Nadal is right that Denis has 'it'. He is a competitor with great athleticism and shotmaking ability (this things cannot really be coached - you have them or you don't). During Shapo's rough patches many were questioning whether he had what it takes, and it became fashionable to suggest that he was just an erratic ballbasher who would never be able to constuct points or have a sense of in-match tactics. I say BS. Give me a player with Denis' gifts and weapons and the rest can be coached/ worked on. Granted he still hasn't won anything big yet (and may not), but I am still betting on him. Nothing like watching exciting shotmakers!

·
Registered
472 Posts
The Canadian team is amazing. They were amazing today and probably they're going to be one of the teams that's going to be almost unbeatable in the next couple of years. They have a very strong team in more ways and on all surfaces.

“So a lot of credit to all of them. Denis is special. He has a lot of things that you can't practice, either you have it or you don't have it. And he has it.
So glad to see this. Rafa likes a fighter and if anyone can see who has the spirit and the talent it's him.
But I'm sure MTF will contradict.

·
Registered
472 Posts
You just have not read Federer’s comments about him ;) .
He has a lot of things that you can't practice, either you have it or you don't have it. And he has it.
I wonder what we are talking about?
So this time I do agree with him and just hope Rafaelito is not trying to jinx Denis.
Simple politeness, nothing more.
As of now, I view Shapovalov as an untamed Wawrinka
So low you assess Shapovalov?

·
|
14,704 Posts
Wow, its like Rafa is reading my mind.
I've already said Shap is my favorite player of the future, after Rafa retires in 2024.
Brings back memories of 2006 when I was an Agassi fan and I said Rafa would be my favorite once Agassi retires....
But really I'm hoping Shap never becomes my favorite, because hopefully Rafa will play for another 10-15 more years, because Shap is utterly boring when compared to Rafa.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t like Nadal and his fake humbleness but even the broken clock says the right time twice a day.
So this time I do agree with him and just hope Rafaelito is not trying to jinx Denis. ;)
It didn't come across as "fake humbleness" to me. Typically, post victory comments (by any player) if asked about your opponent are just a stream of platitudes.
Nadal could have just said "Canada have a very good team with great future and Denis played some ombillable tennis in the final, so I'm happy I won in 2."
I thought it was classy. Or was it a jinx? :eek:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Agree, although I think he is much more athletic and a better defender than Wawa. His serve I think will be potentially better. When its clicking that lefty serve out wide than the forehand winner. Nadal is right that Denis has 'it'. He is a competitor with great athleticism and shotmaking ability (this things cannot really be coached - you have them or you don't). During Shapo's rough patches many were questioning whether he had what it takes, and it became fashionable to suggest that he was just an erratic ballbasher who would never be able to constuct points or have a sense of in-match tactics. I say BS. Give me a player with Denis' gifts and weapons and the rest can be coached/ worked on. Granted he still hasn't won anything big yet (and may not), but I am still betting on him. Nothing like watching exciting shotmakers!
I like this post a lot. When Denis was young he was taught to keep going to the net even though he was losing points against taller opponents. That was one of things that made him unafraid to try new techniques and experiments with his game. His old coach Martin Laurendeau said that this was one of the things that was especially remarkable about Shapo. That is, if you gave him a new thing to try you wouldn't encounter resistance from him, but rather he'd be eagerly trying it right away. That sort of eagerness and willingness to try new things leads to a multi-faceted complex game. A game that takes time to master and fully put together. So while developing he looks like a head case or a ball basher with occasional flashes of brilliance, talented but flaky and unstable. That isn't the case and his game is coming together. It could be that Shapo plateau's or hits a limit of some sort, but as long as he is improving in spurts - no final judgement about his game should be made.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I like this post a lot. When Denis was young he was taught to keep going to the net even though he was losing points against taller opponents. That was one of things that made him unafraid to try new techniques and experiments with his game. His old coach Martin Laurendeau said that this was one of the things that was especially remarkable about Shapo. That is, if you gave him a new thing to try you wouldn't encounter resistance from him, but rather he'd be eagerly trying it right away. That sort of eagerness and willingness to try new things leads to a multi-faceted complex game. A game that takes time to master and fully put together. So while developing he looks like a head case or a ball basher with occasional flashes of brilliance, talented but flaky and unstable. That isn't the case and his game is coming together. It could be that Shapo plateau's or hits a limit of some sort, but as long as he is improving in spurts - no final judgement about his game should be made.
Cute, beautiful, but stupid.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Amen. Great post!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts