Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just the general tone to his comments that I can gather from reading the post match article.

From https://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news/article/-/24364677/it-will-only-get-tougher-nadal-warns-kyrgios/

"The sport is a mental part a lot of times. He has things, positive things, to be able to be a good player," said Nadal, sounding a trifle world weary.

"But at the end, everything is a little bit easier when you are new. Everything is new. Nothing to lose. Everything is good. Everything is positive. You can do whatever and will be positive, and everybody sees just the good things in you.

"When you are already there yourself, the rest of the people start to see the negative things in your tennis. We'll see if he's able to improve and to play at very high level for a long period of time."
"At 19, I was already playing these kind of tournaments and competing well. Now, it is very strange that the young players are coming so late," said Nadal, who will lose his world number one status should Novak Djokovic win Sunday's final.

"To be 19 is a perfect age to be on the tour and to play well. That's what happened with all the great players in the past. It's nothing new."
"I lost the match losing my serve just once during the whole match. I created my opportunities," he said.

"But I was not able to read his serve during the whole match. I was not able to put enough returns inside. We had one break each.

"In the tiebreak he was able to serve better than me. So that's an advantage.

"That happens when you have nothing to lose. You can play that way. Players who really play for being in the last rounds, think about winning the titles, it's not easy to create the second serve 214-215 in the tiebreak, but that's what happened today.
Certainly a hint of "he got lucky, serving huge bombs in the tiebreak with no pressure" and also a hint of "he's nothing special".

I found it unusual given how gracious Nadal normally is. Perhaps Kyrgios confident (some would say cocky) style does not rub well on him?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is right, Kyrgios was very lucky. Nadal was better today, but that's the way it goes when you play against servebots.
I only watched the first set and a half, but Kyrgios had a number of break points during the first set (including some set points before the TB) and I think was the deserved winner of that set. I think Nadal's claim that the big serves in the tie break were the difference is a bit simplistic.

·
Registered
755 Posts
bitter Dull:cool:
better player won:worship:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I only watched the first set and a half, but Kyrgios had a number of break points during the first set (including some set points before the TB) and I think was the deserved winner of that set. I think Nadal's claim that the big serves in the tie break were the difference is a bit simplistic.
Well, you didn't watch the whole match. Over the course of the whole match Nadal was definitely the better player but was really unlucky in the crucial moments and Kyrgios served out of his mind so Rafa didn't really have a lot of chance. Not much tennis was played today, but that's the way it goes. In the second set he started to take control of the game and won it deservngly, then over the course of the whole third set was the better player but missed some chances. If I remember correctly Nadal had a chance to break in almost every game. Then in the tiebreaker again it was 50-50. The fourth set was just a consequence of Rafa getting frustrated and he also had a chance in the first game at 0-30. So yeah, Ndal was the better player, but tiebreakers benefit servebots.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
It's always hard when you realize that the game is passing you by.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Dull already playing mindgames trying to sow the seed of doubt in the next generation of upcoming players. What a bitter loser he is. Good for Kyrgios that he had confidence in himself before and during the match. If today's match is any indication, he will have that self belief in the future also.

·
Registered
917 Posts
It's similar to how Nadal criticized Del Potro at the end of 2009 and said Djokovic and Murray were better. This was of course after Del Potro had spent 2009 thrashing Humbalito all over the place (while Humbalito owned Djokovic and Mugray). He is lucky Del Goatro got injured, his slam count would be much lower. He is indeed a sore loser.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Can you imagine what MTF would be like if Fed said that? Just replace Rafa's name with Fed. NoleTards' reaction would be predictable. Roger could save all African elephants from extinction but he is a fraud. RafaTards would lose their mind though. Even more ammunition for them to attack Fed. haha. The fact is Rafa got embarrassed and exposed. I don't blame him for being butt hurt. His fans are butt hurt all the time even when he wins

·
Registered
347 Posts
Can you imagine what MTF would be like if Fed said that? Just replace Rafa's name with Fed. NoleTards' reaction would be predictable. Roger could save all African elephants from extinction but he is a fraud. RafaTards would lose their mind though. Even more ammunition for them to attack Fed. haha. The fact is Rafa got embarrassed and exposed. I don't blame him for being butt hurt. His fans are butt hurt all the time even when he wins
He is not butt hurt bro, he is just speaking the truth. What is nutthurt about his comments, they are perfectly fine, Nadal was the better player today but lost, that's it.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Well, you didn't watch the whole match. Over the course of the whole match Nadal was definitely the better player but was really unlucky in the crucial moments and Kyrgios served out of his mind so Rafa didn't really have a lot of chance. Not much tennis was played today, but that's the way it goes. In the second set he started to take control of the game and won it deservngly, then over the course of the whole third set was the better player but missed some chances. If I remember correctly Nadal had a chance to break in almost every game. Then in the tiebreaker again it was 50-50. The fourth set was just a consequence of Rafa getting frustrated and he also had a chance in the first game at 0-30. So yeah, Ndal was the better player, but tiebreakers benefit servebots.
Mr. Nadal himself said Kyrgios was the slightly better player in the 1st and 4th, while he thought he himself was slightly better in the 2nd and 3rd, but in the 3rd he couldn't take advantages of his chances and Kyrgios did.

Face it, Nadal played relatively poorly today. 1st serves not going in, in the key moments. Second serve very poor, 0% in one of the sets, and hammered back. Return of serve, not good. Couldn't get a read on the Kyrgios serve, even after 4 sets. Nadal's backhand was generally weak, pushing balls back and winners coming back. I'm really surprised the match was as close as it was. Only due to Nadal's fighting instincts.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
Nothing he said is really incorrect. Always safer and easier to bet against someone.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts