Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To me this is not a stat that a GOAT contender should have. It once again emphasizes Nadal's heavy reliance on clay because he plays all the clay events and is a spent force post USO.

But it also emphasizes his heavy reliance on defensive tennis which drains him physically. He is not able to adapt to end points sooner and thereby save precious energy.

But even if he had energy left post USO I doubt it would have made much difference because he is a woeful indoors player by big 3 standards who still hasn't won a single ATP Finals.

19 consecutive sets lost on HC to a rival? That is now three different stats I mentioned which in my opinion already has Nadal disqualified from becoming the undisputed GOAT.

Let me know what you think!

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
It really emphasizes how injured he is this time of the year

2009 off injury

This year won‘t play either.

So much ado about nothing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really emphasizes how injured he is this time of the year

2009 off injury

This year won‘t play either.

So much ado about nothing.
Actually you just proved my point that a GOAT contender shouldn't rely so much on an extremely physical game which heavily relies on defensive tennis which of course will result in injuries.

The GOAT should be a versatile, adaptable player like Djokovic who can adapt to all surfaces and who became a more offensive player as time passed to increase his longevity and avoid injury.

It's not rocket science old sport.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Well, you can look at it in two ways. It is certainly a testimony to Nadal's clay skills that it is enough to win him hard court masters and slams up until USO at least. :D

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
You can spin it in any way you want and try to undermine one's accomplishments. A slam is a slam. The one who finishes with the most slams is the GOAT.

For example, Borg with 11 slams is widely regarded as greater than Lendl with 8 slams, although Borg had only 109 weeks at No.1 in comparison to Lendl's 270 weeks at No.1.

Another example, Serena with 23 slams is widely considered greater than Steffi with 22 slams, although Serena had only 319 weeks at No.1 in comparison to Graf's 377 weeks at No.1

By the way, coming to the point you raised, the tennis's biggest events in a year end with USO. The ones that are played post-USO may be big events, but are not any bigger than the ones pre-USO.

Reactions: El_Toro

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can spin it in any way you want and try to undermine one's accomplishments. A slam is a slam. The one who finishes with the most slams is the GOAT.

For example, Borg with 11 slams is widely regarded as greater than Lendl with 8 slams, although Borg had only 109 weeks at No.1 in comparison to Lendl's 270 weeks at No.1.

Another example, Serena with 23 slams is widely considered greater than Steffi with 22 slams, although Serena had only 319 weeks at No.1 in comparison to Graf's 377 weeks at No.1
Actually you are the one doing the spinning. By this logic Borg and Laver are equals even though Laver won the CYGS and Borg never won the AO or USO.

Or Sampras and Emerson is greater than Laver which most ppl would disagree with.

Try again.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
How many Big titles are played post US Open ? 3 (Shanghai, Paris & WTF)

The real problem is that Rafa barely played them.

He has played :

Shanghai : 8 Times (2 Finals, 2 Semifinals)
Paris : 7 Times (1 Final, 3 Semifinals)
WTF : 8 Times (2 Finals, 3 Semifinals)

To put these numbers in context Roger won his very first French Open at his 11th entry while Novak won his at the 12th.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Actually you are the one doing the spinning. By this logic Borg and Laver are equals even though Laver won the CYGS and Borg never won the AO or USO.

Or Sampras and Emerson is greater than Laver which most ppl would disagree with.

Try again.
Strictly, I do NOT compare and I do NOT like to compare pre-open era players with open era players. Again, apples vs. oranges. I do NOT enter or like to enter pre-open era territory.

Open era tennis comprises of more than 50 years, and that is enough period of modern tennis to compare players. Compare open era players with open era players to judge them. I am in it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He may win a really big title post USO in 2020. Bigger than Djokovic has ever won.
It would make no difference whatsoever to the stat I posted. Stats of the past NEVER change.

But since your post is hypothetical it means nothing anyway.

Reactions: sav001 and ivanban

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Strictly, I do NOT compare and I do NOT like to compare pre-open era players with open era players. Again, apples vs. oranges. I do NOT enter or like to enter pre-open era territory.

Open era tennis comprises of more than 50 years, and that is enough period of modern tennis to compare players. Compare open era players with open era players to judge them. I am in it.
Laver was an open era player. You are still spinning.

·
Premium Member
9,270 Posts
To me this is not a stat that a GOAT contender should have. It once again emphasizes Nadal's heavy reliance on clay because he plays all the clay events and is a spent force post USO.

But it also emphasizes his heavy reliance on defensive tennis which drains him physically. He is not able to adapt to end points sooner and thereby save precious energy.

But even if he had energy left post USO I doubt it would have made much difference because he is a woeful indoors player by big 3 standards who still hasn't won a single ATP Finals.

19 consecutive sets lost on HC to a rival? That is now three different stats I mentioned which in my opinion already has Nadal disqualified from becoming the undisputed GOAT.

Let me know what you think!
You may be alone with this

·
Registered
6,410 Posts

Try again.
I see where you're going w/ this but better to keep earIier era pIayers out of this. Borg was on the verge of a HC titIe (far fewer HC in his era) but the USO was run even worse back then & he had troubIe adjusting to Iighting there. Don't forget him retiring at the ripe oId age of 26.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Actually you just proved my point that a GOAT contender shouldn't rely so much on an extremely physical game which heavily relies on defensive tennis which of course will result in injuries.

The GOAT should be a versatile, adaptable player like Djokovic who can adapt to all surfaces and who became a more offensive player as time passed to increase his longevity and avoid injury.

It's not rocket science old sport.
Whoever gave you the idea that a GOAT contender should never rely on a physical game? Greatness is in winning big titles, not in how he does it. Of course, there is Roger who does it with style and also influences the sport by his popularity, but he is the only exception.

What game style do you think Djoker has?
Ballerina like play? NO....
First strike tennis? NO.....
Pleasing to the eyes? Hell NO.....

His game is boring with a lot of defensive play, but he wins slams, right?

Now, enough with all this trolling.... We know for sure that this is a double account of one of the banned members. It's a matter of time before this gets banned as well.

Reactions: Roxitova

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see where you're going w/ this but better to keep earIier era pIayers out of this. Borg was on the verge of a HC titIe (far fewer HC in his era) but the USO was run even worse back then & he had troubIe adjusting to Iighting there. Don't forget him retiring at the ripe oId age of 26.
So if a player won only FO titles and no other titles and no weeks spent at #1 he would be the GOAT as long as he won the most majors?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Never said anything about GOAT as i don’t prescribe to the GS count as automatic GOAT. Just that we shouldn’t bring in earlier era circumstances, etc. w/ today & we have to use ELO ratings & the like to get even an approximation.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Whoever gave you the idea that a GOAT contender should never rely on a physical game? Greatness is in winning big titles, not in how he does it. Of course, there is Roger who does it with style and also influences the sport by his popularity, but he is the only exception.

What game style do you think Djoker has?
Ballerina like play? NO....
First strike tennis? NO.....
Pleasing to the eyes? Hell NO.....

His game is boring with a lot of defensive play, but he wins slams, right?

Now, enough with all this trolling.... We know for sure that this is a double account of one of the banned members. It's a matter of time before this gets banned as well.
At least he stated facts while u obviously personal opinions.

·
Premium Member
9,270 Posts
At least he stated facts while u obviously personal opinions.
INFJ:
  • "...my point that a GOAT contender shouldn't rely so much on an extremely physical game which heavily relies on defensive tennis which of course will result in injuries."
  • "Nadal never won a big title post US Open since 2005. To me this is not a stat that a GOAT contender should have."
He stated opinions (which I and a few others reckoned aren't very pertinent)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts