Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
External factor expert
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nadal is like a cockroach who refuses to fade away. How many times can a athlete come back from injury and start off dominating like nothing happened? These are not minor issues, we are talking about chronic conditions that are present since 2004, some even carried throughout his childhood years.

Nadal was diagnosed with Kohlers condition in 2004 and after consulting with several Doctors, Nadal was adviced to consider some other profession. Luckily for Rafa, some custom made shoes allowed him to continu. Not long after in 2005 Rafa was forced to withraw from tournaments again, caused by the same condition which troubled him previous year. In the following year the same old problem occured during the US. In 2009 Rafa had to face the biggest complication of injuries, threatening his career once again. I dont think anyone needs explanation when it comes to knee tenditinis.

Basicaly, long story short, Nadal faces career threatening injuries once every 2 years and decides to continu despite Doctors "better" judgement. How many times did we write him off and predict he would never compete at the highest level again? Nadal proved us all wrong and after 13 years of piled up conditions, he's still rolling not showing any signs of decline, apart from his physical attributes.

Rafa is most likely going to overtake Federer's grandslam count and Federerfans should be worried now more than ever. Nadal is not going to stop until he's carried away on a stretcher, the odds are in his favour to come back even after that. This man is on a mission and I dont see anyone stopping him. Nadal has tennis legacy on top of his priority list, while Djokovic and Federer have a family to raise. I believe Nadal's body will hold long enough to dethrone the almighty Federer. Nadal might not win this years AO, but he will definitely be the favourite to collect all the FO's in the upcoming years, he might snatch a slam elsewhere depending on Djokovic and how the NextGen developes.

I'm confident enough to predict that both Djokovic and Nadal will overtake Federer's slam count and decide later on which titan stands above all others. Nadal is here to stay. I will not make the same mistake again and write him off.

·
Registered
14,088 Posts
He is.

I have never seen another WAFA

Anyone seen a WAFA?

Can't see one but him

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Nadal is like a cockroach who refuses to fade away. How many times can a athlete come back from injury and start off dominating like nothing happened?

I'm confident enough to predict that both Djokovic and Nadal will overtake Federer's slam count and decide later on which titan stands above all others. Nadal is here to stay. I will not make the same mistake again and write him off.
But you have made an even bigger mistake in choosing cockroach for your metaphor.

I like the rest of your post. Too bad about the beginning.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Yes, it is worth noting without obnoxious metaphors from the deep wisdom of Star Wars midgets that nadal's resiliency is incredible, has no equal, in his ability to come back from injury again and again.

I have seen all the pundits write him off repeatedly, only to be proven wrong every time.

What a glorious thing to behold! The fire burns stronger and brighter in him than any of them.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Good points.

But i suspect Rafa's one injury away from retirement., alas.

He will need to vulture some slams if he's to equal/overtake Fed.

And he's not beating Nole outside of clay.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Dont worry, if Dull overtakes Federer and that’s a big if, Djokovich will overtake Dull so tennis won’t be a complete train wreck.

I have a feeling that one or two young guys will finally put their game together and prevent tennis ruins though, sort of like how Djokovich finally woke up. Remember, he was an early retirement hack before at one point, until his gluten free diet apparently. One of the young guys just need enough connections to fake test results and then he can be gluten free too!

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
Rafa is an inspiration from so many point of views.
To me it doesn't matter if he overcomes the South African #1, in my view, he'll always be better.
Djokovic is better than Nose too, so if there's any justice in tennis, both of them will finish with better slam count than Rogie.

·
Registered
14,088 Posts
Rafa is an inspiration from so many point of views.
To me it doesn't matter if he overcomes the South African #1, in my view, he'll always be better.
Djokovic is better than Nose too, so if there's any justice in tennis, both of them will finish with better slam count than Rogie.
DJ is sitting okay at 14. Will be interesting how his slam quest/career unfolds, particularly since Rafa will pretty much have managed to tie Fed at this year's FO counting the Olympics.

I think DJ will struggle with all the young blood. Slams will be hard to come by.

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
There have been alot of players who have had injuries.

Del Potro. How many Slams would he have if he had Federer health? How many would tyhe big 3 have today if this were true?
20-17-14 would no happen.
Hewitt also would of had a few of Federer slams if only.

There is a diference between the big 3 and the rest. And in a way they all push each other. Federer pushing forward so he doesnt losse his slam count. Rafa always trying to reach Federer. While this was going on Nole was pusing himself even more to reach those 2 guys. These 3 are winners. They hate to loose and 100% competitive.

Sampras didnt have this. He lacked the vision to go for 15 and never had anyone pushing him to extremes.

Rafa titles are build in the way he played. But great players change when they need to. He has a new service motion. I dont know how good it is. Lets see.
Part of his injuries are genetic and the other part is due to the type of play he use to.

But of the 3 Rafa had more injuries and cut alot of wins . But still to do what he did and or does is simply remarkable.

·
Registered
14,088 Posts
He is not injured at all, just resting his knee because he overplayed to win clay titles with the grueling style.

When Nadal announce injuries mean he is resting.

Djokovc, Murray and Federer had real injuries.

is this where he does the resting?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts