Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/Soy/mejor/tenista/puedo/correr/elpepidep/20071120elpepidep_1/Tes

I'm a better player, but I can't run

Rafael Nadal sprints kicking a ball 10 metres throughout Qi Zhong stadium's ailes. After that, he enteres the locker room and starts juggling with Roger Federer. Nothing shows that the Swiss has just beated him 6-4 6-1 in the Master's semifinals. Nadal, who says he's done the best season of his life, take the ball and starts playing with the feet. "You are better than Maradona!", cheers Federer. Then, the number two in the world greets with his name the Chinese chauffer of his Mercedes and meets this newspaper.

Q: You've played all the year without preparing the fitness.

A: I've never said this because it sounds like an excuse. I don't like to talk about injuries. I prepare my fitness every day, but I can't run. Now, on the pre-season, I'm gonna try it. Since my foot problem in 2005, I'm more cautious and I avoid running. This is evident. I have to get the fitness by playing matches and it's difficult because I don't have a point of origin, a base.

Q: How have you offset it?

A: I swim, I run inside the swimming pool, I row, bike, eliptic machine... From experience, I know it's not the same as running. It doesn't get you the same confidence. It's hard.

Q: That's why you don't do anymore the running counterattack that gave fame to you?

A: It's all about daring to support your feet. I always got a high ball, long, that it was the best that I had. Unconsciously, my game has adapted to this little problems. Now, I don't do it so aggressive, I take shorter steps, trying to not force that much. Psychologically you are down. You tell yourself "What a fucked up situation! if I could be as good physically as in 2005, with the better tennis player that I am now!"

Q: You've always played thinking on the number one. Now, Novak Djokovic threatens you for the number two.

A: I've always been more preocupied with the ones behind me than in front of me. Federer has always been far away. At certain point of the season, the press started printing that I could be the number one at the end of the year. In the year classification I ahead of him and he had to defend lots of things. The key match was Wimbledon's final.

Q: What happened in the locker room after it? There are some gossips out there...

A: I handled the ceremony well to not act as a brat. When I arrived to the locker room , I sat down and, as it's normal after losing the final of the tournament that you dream on winning, against the number one and with lots of chances, I started to cry of anger, of sadness. It's been the only match of the year that I've cried and one of the few in my career. It was a really close match. I was 20 or 25 minutes there. When people started arriving, I sat down inside the tub. They were cheering up me. I thanked them and I asked for being alone. I don't like people wintessing me crying.

Q: Your uncle and coach Toni even asked you if he should stop coaching you.

A: This year, when things were going bad at the beginning of the season, he suggested it. I said no. He was not the problem. I had enough courage to change the situation without needin another coach. Toni is and will be my coach.

Q: What have you learnt?

A: To be more patient. I have more experience. It's important when things don't go as good as expected. When things go wrong, I get nervous, but I know that the normal is that I have to end up playing well again. If it's not tomorrow, it will be in two weeks, a month, or three or five. Once you've been in the top and you've demonstrated to yourself you can... For something exists the number two. One doesn't go from the top to the bottom. It's the most important of this year. I was 8 monthin titleless and I was anxious. When I won in Indian Wells, I began playing at a high level. Lots of times what you need is a "click".

Q: Have you changed your game to obtain it?

A: On Clay, I've gone a lot more to the net and I've changed my style a little bit but always with the base being my fighting and high intensity. Now I can go to the net and volley with more garanties. I've also improved my serve. I still need a bit more acceleration and that confidence that you get when your serve is 10-12 km/h quicker.

Q: You also need to be more aggressive in the rest.

A: I forget it a lot of times. It's something I have to work on because it's not easy for me. Until I see that I do it really badly, that I'm playing too defensive, I don't realise that I have to be more aggressive.

Q: Are you more questioned that others about doping?

A: I don't feel more chased than others, but I feel battered. I find lots of things ridiculous. When I finished Ferrer's match I had to be until 00 there because I was not able to pee. I ate in the ground.

Q: Now a doping positive will be sanctioned with 4 years.

A: A Fenadol, a Vicks Vaporub... it's doping. We have to be conscious that a little error is doping. I don't know if Martina Hingis took cocaine. Do you think it can help her? Not for me. And, however, her public image is destroyed. I despise drugs, but there are things that can't be. Players should be more supportive and all together, that's when we have power, and protest. We need unity. I leave all December and I have to tell day by day where I'm gonna be. It's ridiculous. You tell yourself "Who am I to be treated as a delinquent?".

Q: Why it looks like Federer is injury free?

A: Due to his calendar and the way he plays. Federar has innate conditions, and I'm sure that I do too, but with a lot more hard working. I don't feel that I get more injured than the others. I feel that the minimal problem is translated into a huge problem. This year I only missed Marseille's tournament.

Q: Didn't you play injured Roland Garros' final?

A: I played all Roland Garros with a numbing foot, infiltrated and with anesthesia. I didn't want to go to the hospital to not have a small doubt in my head. I knew it was nothing serious. It was painful. I went to the hospital after the final and I had a small contusion.

Q: In 2005 your foot injury affected you. This year you've been resting 1 and a half month due to your knees. Did it affect you in the same way?

A: It's different. I was seeing an exit. I knew what I had. I played because it was US Open, but I was not fresh mentally. I had some analysis in Mallorca and everything was quite bad: iron, defenses, ... The doctor gave me a one week rest and I went to Ibiza. It was one of the best weeks of my life.

Q: What did you think when Federer lost to González?

A: That it was a miracle.

Q: Is it a problem that the clay season is so concentrated?

A: It's a big disadventage. I spend two months playing thousands of matches with the pressure of winning. Federer is different. He has a lots of weeks with nothing. I, without clay points, wouldn't be in Shangai. I've done a very good season outside clay, but if something happens during it, I'll be bad all the year.

Q: Do you feel saturated?

A: I arrived too exhausted to Hamburg. There was a moment when my head exploited, even more against Federer. I was playing a final every week for 4 or 5 weeks, with very hard matches and pressure. All the day I was thinking about the same. There's a moment that you are tired.

Q: Chinese were suprised about your quiet personality and the aggressive image you have.

A: I don't do anything else to be different than any other guy in his 20s. I'm a boy, a normal guy.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Re: Nadal's interview about the season and his fitness

Nice interwiev, I'm starting to change opinion on him ;)

·
Banned
12,385 Posts

Nice to gets Nadals real thoughts in Spanish. Also pretty shocking to know that he was severely crippled during the French final. Imagine how badly he would have thrashed Roger 100% healthy!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

That's a surprisingly candid interview. Thanks for posting.
Get the impression he feels a little bit unfair how he has it much tougher than Federer.
When I won in Indian Wells, I began playing at a high level. Lots of times what you need is a "click".
Can't help it, but it took me few times reading to see he wasn't saying "What you need is a dick" :devil:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Good interview, I sure hope his health would improve, it would be a horrible shame to see the career of someone as young and as talented as Rafa would end because of his knees.

I felt for his after his description of his post-wimby experience, even though I was rooting for Roger, of course.

Very candid reaction re: Roger's loss to Gonzo, though I'm not quite sure if he means it was a mircle for him or for Gonzo.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
So... Was Nadal crushed mentally by that loss at Wimbledon? Was he thinking about it during his match with Roger at the TMC I wonder...

Has Federer achieved some perhaps crucial damage psychologically and will it hold up during the clay court season?

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
all what he said is true but its not bad luck ,, its just that excessive physical esffort and intensity he does are responsible of that problem.

·
Registered
19,954 Posts
Q: Your uncle and coach Toni even asked you if he should stop coaching you.

A: This year, when things were going bad at the beginning of the season, he suggested it. I said no. He was not the problem. I had enough courage to change the situation without needin another coach. Toni is and will be my coach.
Interesting that Toni suggested it but not surprising to see Rafa stick with his uncle.

I just hope that Rafa will consider a good outside help together with keeping Toni as his coach. It would give Toni the opportunity to spend more time with his wife and children and it would benefit Rafa as well.

Thanks, amc!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice interview, so different to his English speaking ones where all he says is "I try my best no? was very tough match no? I'm not the favourite no?... etc etc"

·
Registered
969 Posts
all what he said is true but its not bad luck ,, its just that excessive physical esffort and intensity he does are responsible of that problem.

I agree. And I think it is more a consequence of his own innate physical talent (muscular frame and speed).

All in all a nice interview. Refreshing. I was quite shocked of reading he had a foot problem during the FO (I remember him saying he had the best preparation for the FO ever). Which makes his accomplishement even more impressive- I am one of those Fed fans that, despite not liking Rafa's game/ on court persona, thinks that Roger not winning the FO has less to do with himself, and more to do with Nadal being that good.

However, the "infiltration" word always scares me. At least the problem wasnt serious, but there is a big problem with cortisone shots to articulations (if that was what happened- I am assuming from what he described). Maybe the pain was big, but the problem wasnt serious. However, one thing strikes me: it seems that Nadal's camp has a tendency of quick fixes before big tournaments: infiltration, laser surgery. I know that the FO and USO are huge tournaments, but it smells like playing with fire ... running around with a numb feet is the last thing you want (specially when you are slidding).

And it seems that even if the results show that Nadal isnt only a clay courter, deep down he believes he is. He had great results outside clay, and he would´d been in the TMC if he didnt play all those clay court tournaments . Does he really need to play that much optional tournaments on clay?! Hell, he won a MS on hardcourts, reached quarter-finals of the AO and finals at Wimbledon. Fed gave an interview where he says that Nadal is better than he (Nadal) thinks he is ... it might be true.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Nadal doesn't actually play that many optionals on clay. He plays Barcelona as usual and this year he played Stuttgart.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Nadal doesn't actually play that many optionals on clay. He plays Barcelona as usual and this year he played Stuttgart.

Which made him play three straight weeks.

·
124,507 Posts
Which made him play three straight weeks.
The only thing that was different from before was he played Hamburg this year. Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome he has always played them.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Indeed, a very candid and open interview - very good to read!

However, the "infiltration" word always scares me. At least the problem wasnt serious, but there is a big problem with cortisone shots to articulations (if that was what happened- I am assuming from what he described). Maybe the pain was big, but the problem wasnt serious. However, one thing strikes me: it seems that Nadal's camp has a tendency of quick fixes before big tournaments: infiltration, laser surgery. I know that the FO and USO are huge tournaments, but it smells like playing with fire ... running around with a numb feet is the last thing you want (specially when you are slidding).
I think any a person with a (semi-)medical background gets this impression, indeed - and it sounds pretty alarming to me. Okay, perhaps his problems aren't really 'serious', but if you add them all together...

I can only hope the guy will have a real good rest now, to let his body fully recover - and come back at the AO WITHOUT pain! :hug:

Fed gave an interview where he says that Nadal is better than he (Nadal) thinks he is ... it might be true.
Yep, I get that same impression.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The only thing that was different from before was he played Hamburg this year. Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome he has always played them.
Exactly. IMO, it is the same thing that happens with Roger and the indoor season and the Madrid-Basel-Paris thing. Rationally, the best would be skipping Basel and playing both MS. But, the same with Roger, Nadal would take a lot of crap by skipping Barcelona.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I think nadal has improved in other areas. He had too since his running game is compromised. However, it was that running game that was devastating. I don't think Nadal will be the same. Knee and back problems in such a game changes a lot of a things and you never know when things will flare up. I hope he can stay in the game long.

·
Motherhater
5,571 Posts
what a candid interview.

you can't help but like the guy for his personality and his honesty.

I hope he gets better, but if he sticks to the same schedule, I'm not sure how he can.

·
124,507 Posts
Thanks for translating this interview, it was worth reading.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yep, I started really like nadal at the US Open. He just seems to have such a nice personality and I feel a sadness for him because I knew his hard play would trouble him but I didn't think he would be this soon.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts