Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Rafael Nadal says tennis should set a positive example to the rest of society, and "wait a little bit" before resuming competition.

The 19-time Grand Slam champion does not think tournaments should restart until every single player is able to travel freely and safely.

No tour events will be staged until the end of July - at the very earliest.

And the Spaniard says he currently has little desire to travel to New York in August to defend his US Open title.

"If you asked me if I want to travel to New York today to play a tennis tournament, I will say no - I will not," Nadal, 34, told reporters at a time when the French Open should have been reaching a climax.

"But in a couple of months, I don't know how the situation is going to improve. I am confident that if the tournament is played, it's going to be under extremely safe circumstances. If not, in my opinion, it doesn't make sense."

The US Tennis Association is expected to decide later this month whether it will be possible to stage the US Open - behind closed doors - from 31 August.

"My feeling is we need to be responsible, sending strong messages, and be a positive example for the society," Nadal continued.

"We need to understand we are suffering an unprecedented situation and my feeling is we need to come back when all the players, from all the countries of the world, are able to travel under safe circumstances. I want to see my sport being 100% fair and correct.

"The key, of course, is to find a medicine that helps us to be sure we can travel and compete without being scared of having the virus and bringing back the virus home. My feeling is we need to wait a little bit more."

Nadal also revealed he is only gradually returning to training, having not picked up a racquet for two and a half months.

"As you can imagine, I need to take things step by step," he said.

"I just try to avoid injuries and increase the amount of work every single week. I'm not practising every single day, I'm just practising a couple of days a week."

·
Banned
693 Posts
:) Title is funny :)
ATP should step in and re-open the season. Not just because we all want to watch some good tennis, but also to address the perception that's been recently created.
There's an appearance of politicking/manipulation at play to suit specific/individual interests by delaying the decision about the tennis restart.
I'm not saying that's the case - or that "sinister forces" are at play - but there's that appearance and perception.
Certainly, some player's public statements and, on the other hand, complete silence from the others - do nothing to change this perception, but in fact are reinforcing it.

I know - this is a BS time - grand and eloquent tirades about this and that - virtue signaling and whathaveyou.
But - ATP... please, lets just play tennis again.

BTW - I just heard that Djokovic's "adria tour" decided to charge only $7 per ticket for the adria tour matches... So as many people as possible can afford to come and see it.

Let's just play tennis again.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
If the 2020 USO is indeed held and Rafa doesn't want to show up ultimately, then so be it, let Rogie and Djokovic battle it out for the title!!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Of course you can afford to stop tennis for a longer period, its other players ranked 100 and lower who can't or they will have to forget about tennis and start looking for ordinary jobs.
Stop being so damn selfish...

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
Our Rafito is such a sensible, wise guy 🥰 I wish they all were like him instead of drooling over mountains of Rolexes and LV handbags or praying to water...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

Reactions: friður and Bakano

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I'd give Medvedev and Thiem a better chance of winning USO than "Rogie" possibly even Tsitsi and Zverev as well.
Not if they all landed in Djokovic half again, as in 2014 when Nadal was not in the draw (otherwise it would've been his cakewalk again, no) and all the contenders & dark horses landed in the opposite half from Federer, except dark pony Cilic.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Do you really see if no Rafa one half having Djokovic, Thiem, Tsitsipas, Medvedev, and Zverev in one half?? Who would be the second seed, Thiem or Rogie in this case??

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Do you really see if no Rafa one half having Djokovic, Thiem, Tsitsipas, Medvedev, and Zverev in one half?? Who would be the second seed, Thiem or Rogie in this case??
If only it was theoretically possible i.e. seeded positions allowing.

Last year e.g. all injured and out-of-form seeds were in Nadal's half, so, Nadal played SF & F vs tired opponents who passed past 4R stage at slam for the first time in their careers, and there were USO 2010, 2013, 2017, but when there was no Nadal in the draw, it was Federer's cakewalk time to save USO'14, sponsors, TV houses ...

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Do you really see Rafa skipping the 2020 USO to save himself energy and be ready for the 2020 FO, since there's only 1 week between them and sacrificing 2,000 points since he's the USO defending champion??

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
Nadal just said "I can't conceive" USO and RG to be held with only one week in between...

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Nadal just said "I can't conceive" USO and RG to be held with only one week in between...
He can easily have two weeks between them, though, like between RG finals and Wimb R1 in the past, hoping for Djokovic-Thiem USO final 5-setter and then both of them being dead tired for eventual RG SF/F vs Freshdal like the last RG.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Of course you can afford to stop tennis for a longer period, its other players ranked 100 and lower who can't or they will have to forget about tennis and start looking for ordinary jobs.
Stop being so damn selfish...
Apparently there's the possibilty that even if the USO is played, the Qualifying tournament might be cancelled. So those who REALLY need the money would be screwed anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts