Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nadal: "I would really support a Masters in Latin America. Tennis is a global sport"

MADRID (AFP)

Speaking after beating Tomas Berdych to reach the semi-finals in the Spanish capital with 6-4, 6-2 win on Friday, he said there should be a fairer spread of the bigger tournaments around the globe.

"I would really support a Masters event in Latin America. Tennis is a global sport and it's important that it's shared all over the globe," he said.

"Also, it is a reality that the tournaments have to be played where the crowd really lives and feels the sport. My personal feeling is that each time I go to Latin America, the response of the audience over there is unbeatable.

"I can't remember any matches that I've played in Latin America that the court was not full, so that's great news for our sport.

"I think the ATP should take advantage of that situation to empower the sport in Latin America, but, as always, we know the changes and the innovations in our schedule are complex."

Of the current nine Masters events, there are four in Europe, four in North America and the Shanghai Masters in October.

Nadal has become a regular visitor Latin America in recent years, winning the Rio de Janeiro Open in February this year, as well competing in Vina del Mar, Sao Paulo and Acapulco on his return from a long-term knee injury last year.

However, the 13-time Grand Slam champion said pressure had to be put on those with decision-making powers rather than him to make the change.

"I left the players' council because of something a while ago. I have not been involved in politics for a while and I am not going to go back now.

When I was in there I saw few solutions and that's when I left."

"It shouldn't worry you to ask my opinion or my solution because I'm not there. You should ask the people that have the power to change these things, but it would be great to have a Masters 1000 in Latin America."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/409014/nadal-backs-calls-for-latin-american-masters

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Re: Nadal: "I would really support a Masters in Latin America. Tennis is a global spo

I agree with with him. It would be nice to have a masters even in South America. Tennis is pretty damn popular there right behind soccer.

·
Your visions will happen
47,112 Posts
Re: Nadal: "I would really support a Masters in Latin America. Tennis is a global spo

Ought to have a Monte Carlo like non-mandatory 1000 event somewhere in South America. Buenos Aires? Somewhere in Brazil?

·
Registered
21,266 Posts

I strongly agree with this. Great suggestion Nadal

·
Registered
11,133 Posts

makes no sense, no one is going to travel from Europe to South America for one week

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
22,412 Posts

no duh, it would be on clay, Nadal would favour anything that means he wins more easy points by dominating clay :shrug:

There should be one on grass.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts

there is always a first time in life, so this is the first time I agree with dull :yeah:

Rio was a success

·
Registered
8,386 Posts

Nadal wants another clay m1000... colour me surprised.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts

Iberostar Hotel in Mexico

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

"I left the players' council because of something a while ago. I have not been involved in politics for a while and I am not going to go back now.

When I was in there I saw few solutions and that's when I left."
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

Miami is culturally already in South America

I'll always remember when Pico schooled Rodmug in Miami and whole crowd booed bald clown,
it was fun evening on mtf, when mods deleted 20 pages of yanks rage who wanted to donate Miami to Cuba or Mexico, i forgot

:haha:

·
10,269 Posts

That something may have been more of a collective.

From my memory Nadal was fairly outspoken in the players council and realized that no one was doing anything, so he quit.

Though NewsBot may have better knowledge on this subject.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

I agree, it would be nice to have a masters in Brazil or even Argentina, considering the latter contributes so many players to the tour.

Of course, it's painfully obvious why Nadal would want this, because it'd be on clay. He's never shy about pushing for new tournaments and rules that would benefit him. He's a great competitor and I have endless respect for his accomplishments, but I really wish he'd quit all the false humility.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts

I disagree with all the cynicism here. A Masters is South America would be good for the sport regardless of what surface it is played on. Argentina is currently just as big of a tennis power as the United States, yet Argentina has 1 small 250 event, and the US has 3 Masters, a Grandslam and countless other 500's and 250's. They give all of their wildcards to Donald Young, Ryan Harrison and Jack Sock, and then everyone here wonders why there is no talent breaking through.

11/65 of the 250 or better events are held in the US. 3/9 of the Masters, 1/4 of the Slams. So for everyone out there bashing Nadal because he wants some more clay events, maybe it is actually called for.

I'd personally like to see an end to the United States' monopoly on tennis events. It doesn't benefits the States, because they've realized they don't need to develop players to make money, they can just hold more events, and it doesn't benefit smaller countries, because those players never get wildcards anywhere.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts