Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a post-RG win interview in Spanish:

Why take the risk to try to play on the grass of Halle?

A. First, because I have a commitment. Which I do not like breaking. Second, at the end I have two bad years playing at Wimbledon. It is true that Toni says that it is a question of attitude. With the maximum respect to his opinion, at the same time it is true that after losing in Wimbledon in 2012 I did not return to play a match for seven months and a half, because I was destroyed, and in 2013 the knee was not good. I played the whole year (2013) taking anti-inflammatories every day with punctures of Voltaren, to the maximum limit all year. Grass demanded from me a mental and physical effort that I could not hold or assume. I remember I went to do an exhibition against Nishikori, and I felt bad. I felt powerless, and seeing that I could not do anything to motivate myself, I saved the effort.

Q. Do you have a fear of grass?

R. It hurts my knee. Not fear. Pain. It's not a matter of fear. I'm not a person who has fears, but when it hurts, it hurts, when it limits you, it limits you. I'm going to Halle because I want to try to play well on grass again. Then if the back does not respond well, or the knee is not right ... it will be but I will have tried.
http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2014/06/09/actualidad/1402330404_612708.html

The interview is interesting as he talks about the point that he had in his mind at match point (i.e., his plan before Novak double faulted) - a cross court FH return & then FH DTL straight away. Said that he knew he had to go for it and be brave - he would rather die being brave than lose the match and then think he had not been brave enough.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Alot of people talk about Rafa loosing to Rosol. But people forget that after that game he never played again for 7 months because of his knees.

Rosol played great game but Rafa couldnt do anything with those knees. He even missed the 2012 olympics.

Las year vs Darcis was a diferent story with the same ending. Rafa had a poor preparation and the fear of his knees giving in and spending another 7 months aways from tennis was just too much.

If his knees gives him problems i would sugest Rafa never Again play a grass tournament and save himself between RG nad USA HC.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He may still lose first week as he's always been vulnerable then but obvious that his mindset is different this year. Listen to his RG presser last year and he basically says he doesn't think he'll be able to do much at Wimby - says he has to skip Halle due to knee and he'll try his best at Wimby but can't say how it'll go. This year he said to JMac straight after winning that he wanted to do well at Wimbledon - so all in all I think the intensity/focus at least will be higher. We'll see.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
I'm going to Halle because I want to try to play well on grass again.

Captain Obvious. Is there a single player who is going there to try to play bad? :lol:

Yeah, Gulbis was definetely right saying the top players are boring in interviews.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts

·
Registered
3,982 Posts

·
Registered
11,827 Posts

Captain Obvious. Is there a single player who is going there to try to play bad? :lol:

Yeah, Gulbis was definetely right saying the top players are boring in interviews.
Surely "I want to play bad on grass" would be less boring, no?

If the questions are ovbious, why Nadal should give any different kind of answers?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Ash needs work with those translations. Google translate makes a bunch of errors that deviate from the original meaning of the words.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

There's more to it. He feels he needs more time to acclimate to grass, as in skipping Halle could (most likely will) be detrimental to his chances at Wimbledon. It's a lot more than just wanting to play well on grass as a general idea with no context.

Reading comprehension is tech bro.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
There's more to it. He feels he needs more time to acclimate to grass, as in skipping Halle could (most likely will) be detrimental to his chances at Wimbledon. It's a lot more than just wanting to play well on grass as a general idea with no context.

Reading comprehension is tech bro.
Halle is completely different from Wimbledon. He should've played Queens or some exho on the next week then.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Halle is completely different from Wimbledon. He should've played Queens or some exho on the next week then.
Voluntarily entering a tournament with Grassray? :eek: Not a chance.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Rafa is right when he said playing on grass hurt your back and knees. The grass wants more skills than clay courts and you can not defend on grass as you can do on clay. Everything happens more quickly on grass. Movements are different . Rafa is not going to beat Murray 6 1 62 61 as he does on clay. Rafa played a lot on clay already and he is not 23 anymore

1 - 20 of 34 Posts