Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite going into the Monte Carlo Masters on the back of another impressive unbeaten run on clay, Rafael Nadal admitted six months before his beloved French Open that he has been struggling with his confidence for months.

The world number one, who was knocked out in the quarter-finals of the Monte Carlo Masters on Friday by fellow Spaniard David Ferrer, sustained a back injury at the Australian Open in January.

"I don't have to lie to anybody. After what happened in Australia it was little bit harder for me to find again the intensity, the confidence, the inside power that I always have," said Nadal after a 7-6(1), 6-4

Nadal made an uncharacteristic 44 unforced errors against Ferrer on centre court, failing to find the right length as Ferrer never released his grip.

Asked if a back problem was responsible for his under-par performance, he replied: "No, no, the back is not an excuse.

"No, the back is in good shape. The physical performance is fine. No problem about that."

After losing the Australian Open final to Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka, Nadal won the Rio de Janeiro tournament on clay before being eliminated in the third round of the Indian Wells Masters and losing in the final of the Miami Masters to Novak Djokovic.

"Even if I won Rio, I played the final in Miami, it remains something in my mind and in my game," said Nadal. I'm going to fight to try to find that solution soon."

Nadal plays in the Barcelona Open next week, a tournament he has won every year since 2005, apart from 2010 when he did not take part. The French Open, which Nadal has won a record eight times, starts on May 25
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/rafael-nadal-admits-hes-lacking-confidence/466080-5-22.html

I guess that is 6 weeks. I wish he finds his groove soon.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
He does look unconfident right now. Not like him to get randomly broken and to make so many errors.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
don't give false hope to haters he was at top at his game simply brutally crushed god mode Ferru

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
he needs to pull himself together

love Nadal but I hope the Australian open back excuse wasn't bullshit

I never would have imagined in the past that it was, but if he had problems in the final with his back then why would his loss there be hurting his confidence now? you would assume in his brain because he's supposedly better physically now he would regain his confidence

I just don't like fake excuses and its worrisome when Nadal claims he lost Australia because of the back (basically) and now says his confidence was crushed in that match, as though he would have lost it no matter what

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I'm always underdog, no?

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
At least he's telling the truth this time.

The AO Final loss really really hurt him.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
don't give false hope to haters he was at top at his game simply brutally crushed god mode Ferru

Really??

You know, sir, very little about Nadal's clay game. His unforced error will tell the form. Last year when he won against Gulbis from 5-0* in the first set and 4-1 in the second. His entire 3 setter UF was 5. 44 errors in 2 sets. That seriously miles away from what you have mentioned about him.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Not sure why he is so low in confidence considering the fairly good year he has had.

He seems a rather complex character. In saying that, it can all turn on one good shot, point or match.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
He's following his unusual pattern of only being able to be at the top of his game a couple of months after reaching #1. Perhaps he'll find new fire if he falls behind Djokovic again.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"He's not a machine, no?" Ferrer said. "Sometimes he can play not so good."

"I played entirely wrong in the second set", Nadal said.

"The feeling on court was not the best one. I didn't play the right way. I didn't play with the right intensity with my forehand. I played too short. I give him the chance to have the control of the point almost all the time."

"It was a tough loss, all losses feel bad but especially on clay. I'm not playing well right now and I'm not happy with how I'm playing."

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Really??

You know, sir, very little about Nadal's clay game. His unforced error will tell the form. Last year when he won against Gulbis from 5-0* in the first set and 4-1 in the second. His entire 3 setter UF was 5. 44 errors in 2 sets. That seriously miles away from what you have mentioned about him.
you know really very little, actually Ferrer gave nadal his own medicine, abuse the backhand and results are more than expected!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts