Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is dedicated to @NADALalot, the unchallenged emperor of delusion.

Nadal confirmes in an interview with El Pais what every sane person knows already: no tennis in 2020. According to Nadal, the biggest challenge will be to somehow save the Australian Open 2021.

Dominic Thiem concurs, stating that it will be nearly impossible to bring all the players at a specific location in those times.

I fear we have to wait for big tournaments till the vaccine gets made.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Ouch. He better be put on suicide watch!

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Don't tell me you're vaccine supporter...

damn.

Reactions: slamjunky

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Bastad will be played with crowd while everybody else is still busy holding their dicks, so he is wrong.

·
Your visions will happen
51,282 Posts
Bastad will be played with crowd while everybody else is still busy holding their dicks, so he is wrong.
Yes Sweden has really gone their own way with the whole thing, haven't kept up with travel restrictions in that region, but if they stage it, the players will come

UFC is also starting back up on Saturday so I see some light at the end of the tunnel

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
This thread is dedicated to @NADALalot, the unchallenged emperor of delusion.

Nadal confirmes in an interview with El Pais what every sane person knows already: no tennis in 2020. According to Nadal, the biggest challenge will be to somehow save the Australian Open 2021.

Dominic Thiem concurs, stating that it will be nearly impossible to bring all the players at a specific location in those times.

I fear we have to wait for big tournaments till the vaccine gets made.

View attachment 355100
Wow. I think this is the first instance I've read of a big player coming out and saying this publicly. I had to read through the article - wanted to check the context as far as possible from the interview. (You could have warned me it was right at the end...lol)> But there it is:

"P. Y, de cara al mañana, ¿volveremos a verle sobre una pista este año?
R. Ojalá, pero no lo creo. Desgraciadamente... Yo firmo estar listos para 2021. Ojalá. Me preocupa más el Open de Australia que lo que ocurra a finales de este año. El 2020 lo veo prácticamente perdido. Tengo la esperanza de poder empezar el próximo año. Ojalá que así sea."

I know many MTF-ers have been saying this since early March, but it's still a big thing for one of the most important players in the world to come out and say it publicly.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Even if Bastad takes place, ¿who will go? Spain borders, airports and ports are closed. Nation is on lockdown. No one knows for sure what will be the situation in July. Similarly with almost every other country.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Yes Sweden has really gone their own way with the whole thing, haven't kept up with travel restrictions in that region, but if they stage it, the players will come

UFC is also starting back up on Saturday so I see some light at the end of the tunnel
Compared with Denmark and Norway with more strict rules, Sweden's own way results into much more infections, hospitalisation and deaths.

As for UFC, well they are used to getting brain damage and other traumatic injuries by hitting each other into sh$t so stupidity was all that could be expected.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Comparing the initial deaths of Sweden with those of Denmark and Norway is missing the point. The Swedish experts expect Stockholm to achieve herd immunity within a few weeks. In that case they will be spared a second (or subsequent) waves of infection. Norway and Denmark (and Finland for that matter) may just be delaying their deaths until later, unless they plan to stay in lockdown until the fabled vaccine arrives. Also, Sweden will not have destroyed their economy to the same extent nor will they have completely trampled on civil liberties (remember them?).

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Comparing the initial deaths of Sweden with those of Denmark and Norway is missing the point. The Swedish experts expect Stockholm to achieve herd immunity within a few weeks. In that case they will be spared a second (or subsequent) waves of infection. Norway and Denmark (and Finland for that matter) may just be delaying their deaths until later, unless they plan to stay in lockdown until the fabled vaccine arrives. Also, Sweden will not have destroyed their economy to the same extent nor will they have completely trampled on civil liberties (remember them?).
This.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Great reflections by Rafa. Also takes part in the internal debate here about goverment's CV19 policies and actions. Excellent interview.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Herd immunity was never Sweden's objective and even Swedish experts are saying herd immunity might not even be that meaningful, because there is still no consensus about whether people suffering from corona leads to long-term immunity. All countries are waiting for the vaccine.

Sweden applies the 'laissez-faire' method. Trusting people to do what's best without having to guide people. At the end of April though, more stringent measures were introduced, probably because the peaks in numbers followed each other regularly. Lots of restaurants got checked by officers, for example. The government told people not to go outside.

So on paper the Swedish method looks different than other European countries, but they're not stupid. They know what they're doing, and more importantly, they know what they're not doing.

Financial experts are talking about a Swedish recession as well. Just because they're not in a total lockdown doesn't mean their economy is coronaproof.

Of course I remember civil liberties. Still got them. Can't visit my sports clubs and a cafe, just like everybody else, but that's fine. There are other things to do. We're not at war!

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
We'll see how that works out in the end, but for the moment, I don't think they really know what proportion of the population has already been infected. Also it remains unsure whether previous infection really results in immunity. And it is very obvious that this approach would not have been possible in most of Europe. In that respect the comparison with Sweden's neighbors is completely appropriate. They got approximately 10 times as many deaths. If this factor is transferable to other countries, then go figure out what would have happened to the health systems in other European countries if they had taken the Swedish approach. The UK and the Netherlands tried and had to quickly abandon that strategy to avoid a complete disaster.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The UK and the Netherlands tried and had to quickly abandon that strategy to avoid a complete disaster.
Not because I'm from the Netherlands, but to me this sentence symbolises the essence of the corona pandemic. No one knows how to deal with it and lots of governments are/were in trial-and-error mode. Spain and Italy received a lot of bad rep which was very unfair imo. The Chinese link in North-Italy and some football matches between Spanish and Italians clubs led to a lot of corona infections. No government could have prevented that.

Reactions: Han Solo

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow. I think this is the first instance I've read of a big player coming out and saying this publicly. I had to read through the article - wanted to check the context as far as possible from the interview. (You could have warned me it was right at the end...lol)> But there it is:

"P. Y, de cara al mañana, ¿volveremos a verle sobre una pista este año?
R. Ojalá, pero no lo creo. Desgraciadamente... Yo firmo estar listos para 2021. Ojalá. Me preocupa más el Open de Australia que lo que ocurra a finales de este año. El 2020 lo veo prácticamente perdido. Tengo la esperanza de poder empezar el próximo año. Ojalá que así sea."

I know many MTF-ers have been saying this since early March, but it's still a big thing for one of the most important players in the world to come out and say it publicly.
I totally agree, and it surprises me that it comes from Nadal, who I always considered the one who is most addicted to tennis and winning.

I'm very curious what it will do to Nadal to have a longer break for the first time in his life, without rehabilitation from injury.

Maybe he finally can free himself from Tio Tonis spell, enjoy his life with his wife, go fishing and looking back at his glorious career with a smile on his face.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts